Shin Pain

Wild Bill

Green Belt
Reaction score
Two weeks ago when I was sparring my opponent decided to use a round house kick at the same time I did. Our shins slammed together and caused intense pain. This has happened to me many times over the years but the pain has never lasted more than a week. If I am touched right below my knee on my shin it feels like someone is stabbing me with a knife. Has anyone else experianced anything like this? I can walk fine and it only hurts when I touch it or brush up against something.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wild Bill said:
Two weeks ago when I was sparring my opponent decided to use a round house kick at the same time I did. Our shins slammed together and caused intense pain. This has happened to me many times over the years but the pain has never lasted more than a week. If I am touched right below my knee on my shin it feels like someone is stabbing me with a knife. Has anyone else experianced anything like this? I can walk fine and it only hurts when I touch it or brush up against something.

Sounds like you got a nasty bruise. Avoid using that leg for kicking if possible. You may also want to invest in a good pair of shin guards also.

Mike

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The shin will facture into many parts, each time it will fuse strong, this is one way people make their shins iron proof. (hitting them with a bottle or roll a coke bottle until it hurts alot.) Let it heal and do it again.

Want bullet proof shin? Do this...it will turn black and blue and look ugly. Is it neccessary? If you kick box? yes! For everyday martial art people? No.

Time is always the answer to healing.......time to go.......Aloha

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Had many shin burises over the years they lasted from a few days to a week or more only good advise is if it continues see a doctor

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I too have taken hits to the shin that have produced some nice "bubbles" under my skin that if touch, brushed, etc have sent me jumping out of my skin. One such "bubble" lasted about a month. It didn't interfere with my walking and was not painful otherwise. Went away after a month or so. If it continues past that, I suggest you see a doctor or if the symptoms worsen or change.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You've also got some big tendons inserting at the top of the shin too. You could have done a little damage to one of them, or you could just have a nasty bone bruise.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, For those who felt the pain? It teaches one later this is a great tarket especially when wearing shoes? strike it, scrape it and kick it....this should be a better tarket than the groin area first? It is lower, got two tarkets areas (right and left side).

How many of you practice this striking area? One way is to use the inside of the shoes and push forward to the shins, (lift leg straight up and crock it with the heel facing towards center and kick to shins, leaning a little back. Practice and practice it.....it is fast hard to block and will hurt the other person most times.

Like in bowling get strikes from the balls will not always work...?
If I remember you sometimes get to use two balls?

What are other ways you can strike to the shin?...........Aloha

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wild Bill said:
this is the worst pain i can imagine
u have no idea how i felt when i was reading this
i'd check a doctor in case xray needed...
shin's serious
i hope it's nothing serious tho

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yup, it hurts! Time is the only real solution, unless something's broken. (Where's that fight video?) Is the pain lessening?

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
man i used to play soccer with no shin protection
i used to get hit by those soccer shoes with nails
hurts man, hurts
i hate it... im extra paranoid about it

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh man, I can sympathize. A few years ago a friend and I were sparring in his backyard. We both deceided to throw a roundhouse kick at the same time and collided with our shins. Damn that hurt. I split the skin open from the impact and had a goose egg about the size of a baseball directly afterward. It hurt so bad that all I could do is laugh.

HKF

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I actually feel that pain right now...and it was like 3 weeks ago, but I also keep getting it hit at work, so...ya never know, if it get too bad you may consider a X-Ray, but thats only in a severe case...and its normal to get permenant bumps on your shins from being hit...My instructor has them and so do I (already, only over 2 years) so I don't think you have anything to worry about, and if you want them to toughen up, some one mentioned a coke bottle...man forget that, use a heavy Steel pipe, its also good for the forearms as well

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, The shin will facture into many parts, each time it will fuse strong, this is one way people make their shins iron proof. (hitting them with a bottle or roll a coke bottle until it hurts alot.)Let it heal and do it again.

Want bullet proof shin? Do this...it will turn black and blue and look ugly. Is it neccessary? If you kick box? yes! For everyday martial art people? No.

Time is always the answer to healing.......time to go.......Aloha

Red, bad; green, good. Please don't hit or roll anything on your shins. :ultracool

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
I too have taken hits to the shin that have produced some nice "bubbles" under my skin that if touch, brushed, etc have sent me jumping out of my skin. One such "bubble" lasted about a month. It didn't interfere with my walking and was not painful otherwise. Went away after a month or so. If it continues past that, I suggest you see a doctor or if the symptoms worsen or change.

The rabid poodle is right on the money.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
jdinca said:
You've also got some big tendons inserting at the top of the shin too. You could have done a little damage to one of them, or you could just have a nasty bone bruise.

It took having my leg smashed into a bronco at 120mph, then having it run over by the motorcyclist behind me to actually damage nerves. It's kind of funny how people over-estimate the body in areas where the body is weak and under-estimate in areas where it is resilient. Eh: :idunno:

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
AdrenalineJunky said:
It took having my leg smashed into a bronco at 120mph, then having it run over by the motorcyclist behind me to actually damage nerves. It's kind of funny how people over-estimate the body in areas where the body is weak and under-estimate in areas where it is resilient. Eh: :idunno:

Ow.