putting other martial artists down

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This was the kind of thing that my instructor was always against. Whenever you take the trouble to put someone else down, instead of working to improve yourself, it says a lot more about you than whoever you put down. I was recommended to a school a few hours away, thought I'd like to try it, and so I went to Yahoo to get a phone number and map it. Yahoo also has a section for people to post reviews. There was a negative review, which didn't make much sense, didn't seem to match up with what kind of arts were taught there, or what I'd researched about the instructor. So I dug further. Seems like someone had taken the trouble to post a negative review of every Chinese martial art place in this city, some of which the author had obviously not visited. Except for one. Going by the writing style, all the reviews were written by the same person. All negative reviews, with only one glowing recommendation, which was more like an advertisement. Someone has brought tremendous shame on their instructor, and their school. This isn't honorable behavior. What do you think?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My statement's a bit long, so grab a cup of tea, and start sipping.

There's no need to bash others beyond simple disapproval, as long as you explain why you may not like someone in a reasonable, and civil manner. It's simply better to focus on why your own school is a good one, and the rest falls into place. What the other guy did was very dishonorable, indeed.

The way I see it, if a dojo is a good one, if it's part of a good martial arts system, if the instructors are competent, if the dojo is run smoothly (from a teaching and business standpoint) and if the students are dedicated, then that's what speaks out about its good points. If your school has all of the above criteria, then it really doesn't matter what other schools will say, since you'll be attracting the people that you want to attract.

If someone doesn't like my school for what it is, then simply put, they're probably not going to be a good fit with it, and would be better off training elsewhere. I would rather have them training at a good school somewhere else and being happy, than to be training under me and unhappy.

I do not seek to start a brouhaha, whether it be physical (like Count Dante) or verbal (such as the example you mentioned). However, I will take occasional pot-shots at some of the more interesting characters, when it comes to certain topics and individuals, such as individuals the likes of a certain neo-ninja named Radford. :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well in todays world people find themself in a land of turmoil, to make themself feel better they try to be-little everything else. I tend to see for myself before listening to some one else. In most cases they either have aproblem with that indiviual or are too close minded to see other people point of view, as you stated the lack of respect in MA has become more and more of a problem in today world. Keep yourjudgement to yourself and always remember those that you bash maybe your friend in years to come.
Master Stoker

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
This was the kind of thing that my instructor was always against. Whenever you take the trouble to put someone else down, instead of working to improve yourself, it says a lot more about you than whoever you put down. I was recommended to a school a few hours away, thought I'd like to try it, and so I went to Yahoo to get a phone number and map it. Yahoo also has a section for people to post reviews. There was a negative review, which didn't make much sense, didn't seem to match up with what kind of arts were taught there, or what I'd researched about the instructor. So I dug further. Seems like someone had taken the trouble to post a negative review of every Chinese martial art place in this city, some of which the author had obviously not visited. Except for one. Going by the writing style, all the reviews were written by the same person. All negative reviews, with only one glowing recommendation, which was more like an advertisement. Someone has brought tremendous shame on their instructor, and their school. This isn't honorable behavior. What do you think?

I highly doubt that the person who posted these negative comments actually took the time to visit each school. Instead, its most likely a troll, who has way too much free time on their hands.

As far as talking bad about an art...that is something that I don't think will ever end. I've always said that every art has something that can be usefull.

What really matters, is what you think of the school. If its a place that has caught your eye, go check it out. If you're going to be training there, you need to form your own opinion of it. I certainly wouldn't let the negative words sway you from checking it out.

Mike

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the other posters in this thread.

Further to that, I think there is definately a place for 'putting down' or expressing a negative opinion of martial artists or schools, just as there is for other people and businesses. We even have positive and negative rep-points here on Martialtalk, and I've both given and recieved my share of negative rep points over time.

Having said that though, there is a line between expressing a negative opinion where you feel it is warranted, and 'bashing' a person or business for your own gain, as the unknown reviewer mentioned in the opening post obviously was.

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with everyone for the most part. This person sounds like they are just putting down Chinese arts altogether. Personally, I like the Chinese arts. They have cool weapons, graceful movement, and crane kung fu :) My instructor was strongly against putting other martial artists down too, lonecyote. He said and I quote,"No art is the "best". Every art has something another doesn't. Don't think your art is superior to another just because you are in it. There's always someone out there better than you." I believed that last line without question. LOL The real question is though.... what does this person have against Chinese martial art schools? Maybe he got beat by a Chinese martial artist or maybe he just doesn't like the Chinese or maybe he's just stupid and doesn't know what he's talking about. One school that you've actually visited that deserves a bad rep is fine, but to give bad reps to all of them when one pry hasn't even visited them? That's low. How many Chinese schools were there?

It could also be the instructor of another school in the same city. This happened to my husband. The instructor of a different school came into his dojo and told him he wasn't worth crap and didn't know what he was talking about, etc. My husband was honorable enough to take it, though he wanted to fight. I would've to if someone had that nerve.

Becky

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, This is not a perfect world and idiots have there rights. Anyone can make a comment (right or wrong). If you let it bother you....they win. If you can brush it off...You win...always be the winner!

Everyone has the right to speak.....but does not have to be heard or believe. We have so many bad type people in this world. Please try very hard to be a good person or a better one............Aloha

Someone posted this quote: Better to sweat at practice,than bleed in a fight......this is a very good one to remember........

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will usually say I do not aprove of a certian school but will tell the person to check it out or themsleves. I do not even discuss the instructors with my students unless the student is of higher rank.
To go on the intrnet and put down many schools seems like someone is trying to get students to their own school and this is poor way of doing business and a discedit to the instuctor of the person doing so

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
All negative reviews, with only one glowing recommendation, which was more like an advertisement. Someone has brought tremendous shame on their instructor, and their school. This isn't honorable behavior. What do you think?

Agreed... Of course we're all entitled to our opinions - and to voice them. Trolling's another thing again. However assuming this guy has NOT experienced EVERY school in the area and as the trail this guy has left clearly leading back to one school, does kinda dishonor the instructor [if terms are in any way still valid in today's generally disrespectful society].

As has already been well stated upthread, the best opinion to be obtained by any of us is a first hand opinion, don't let anything else sway your judgement before you see for yourself.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I have seen MA put down, most often the person doing the talking is the one making themself look poor. Frequently, I have seen folks describe others through their own misconceptions.

And when they hit the mat? :rolleyes:

boricuatkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with popular consensus here. It is unfortunate in our society today we see alot of this going on within the martial arts community. In our area you see and hear many of the young "pups" going around and bashing the older and more traditional instructors ( including their own masters) because they feel that the "art" is not as important as the sport. Its sad really that they feel just in putting others down just to make theirselves look better.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bashing somebody because you disagree with them and their view of MA is bad. Disagreeing with them is perfectly okay.

Bashing someone's school because you don't like the way they do things is bad, pointing out less than honorable business, teaching practices is perfectly okay. (McDojo's, as an example)

Disagreement and discussion are good things, bashing shows insecurity and immaturity.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Loncoyote have you approched the school not bashed and informed the instructor of what seems to be misbehavior by one of his students to see how he reacts (who knows it may be he instructor doing the bashing)

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't read everyones answers here, don't need to. So if what I say has been said I do appoligize.

Never bring down a school, lift your own.

That being said, something needs to be out there to inform others that this school may not be the correct school for them. Some schools are hardcore MMA, others are directed to children.......that would be a good use of that Yahoo option.

Master Fluffy

OP
L

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies, I agree for the most part with most of you. tshadowchaser, no I have not informed anyone at the bashers school, although I have considered it, the thing is, the culprit, be it the student or the instructor, is a member of a chain of schools, they have gone a recent name change because of publicity I believe. They are the ones whose grandmaster has mastered 108 forms, and supposedly was taught by someone who had the genetic condition where they have hair all over their body and face, if you've seen the picture. Quite a few of you know who I mean now. Like Homer says "Do!" except that part of the name is gone now. The bigger question is, should I tell any of the schools with negative reviews? Thousands of people use yahoo to locate things everyday, many of them won't know the reviews are bogus, and maybe folks should have a chance to respond.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
Thank you for all the replies, I agree for the most part with most of you. tshadowchaser, no I have not informed anyone at the bashers school, although I have considered it, the thing is, the culprit, be it the student or the instructor, is a member of a chain of schools, they have gone a recent name change because of publicity I believe. They are the ones whose grandmaster has mastered 108 forms, and supposedly was taught by someone who had the genetic condition where they have hair all over their body and face, if you've seen the picture. Quite a few of you know who I mean now. Like Homer says "Do!" except that part of the name is gone now. The bigger question is, should I tell any of the schools with negative reviews? Thousands of people use yahoo to locate things everyday, many of them won't know the reviews are bogus, and maybe folks should have a chance to respond.

So chewbacca taught their granmaster 108 forms? 108 forms, thats a lot of time practicing to get down the movements. All of that time learning forms. How much time do they spend on actual fighting? I wouldn't sweat it. But then again, if it bothers you that much, post a few replies of your own, just to even out the playing field. Go watch a few classes at the school who you believe to be the one spreading all of this garbage. After you have witnessed their style then post your own opinion on the matter.

HKF

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
LoneCoyote,

Where can these reviews be found on yahoo? I would like to read them. You can PM me with the info if you don't want to post public.

HKF

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:

This is one of the many things that could be solved by an open challenge policy. When you run a martial arts school, anyone should be able to respectfully challenge the top student, and if sucessful, the teacher. This would solve alot of the bull crap that is seen today with people down talking other gyms. If someone has a problem than it should be solved this way in the martial arts community, after all, its martial arts!
If the challenge is brought in a disrespectful manner, and the people accompanying the challenger seem to be trouble, then call the cops. No one wants a gang fight in there school, but one on one is ok.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe I know what chain you are talking about.

They claim to teach 17 animal styles, 15 empty hand styles, 23 weapon styles, 23 internal styles. Then they claim that the list shown is just a brief list. That's a lot of information to assimilate. Who knows, maybe the guy who posted all of the bad reviews, is a beginner, and doesn't really know what he is seeing. Remember, that many noobs feel that quanity makes quality.

HKF

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lonecoyote I sent a pm with the answere to one of your questions.

open challenge policy: now that is not looked on by many as a good way of doing things but has been known to work in the past

My thought is that the instructor most likely knows about the postings and has done nothing to discurage it

Latest Discussions