MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't believe that

- back fist,
- hammer fist,
- side punch,

exist in boxing.

Why?

I used to not believe in "side punch" until one day I saw someone used a side punch to knock his opponent's body 45 degree upward into the air. I could not believe my own eyes. I only saw that happened once in my life.
I want to say that there used to be back fist in the early days of boxing.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I want to say that there used to be back fist in the early days of boxing.
When your opponent dodges under your hook punch, you can do at least 3 things:

1. Right back fist on top of his opponent's head.
2. Side way right elbow strike on his opponent's head.
3. Reverse head lock on his opponent's neck.

By using drop bear's term, to only train hook punch, and not to train 1, 2, 3 is "1/2 training".

By simple logic, even if elbow strike, and reverse head lock don't exist in boxing, at least the back fist should exist in boxing. There is no way that a boxer can't figure this out.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When your opponent dodges under your hook punch, you can do at least 3 things:

1. Right back fist on top of his opponent's head.
2. Side way right elbow strike on his opponent's head.
3. Reverse head lock on his opponent's neck.

By using drop bear's term, to only train hook punch, and not to train 1, 2, 3 is "1/2 training".

By simple logic, even if elbow strike, and reverse head lock don't exist in boxing, at least the back fist should exist in boxing. There is no way that a boxer can't figure this out.
your only allowed to hit with the knuckles of the glove, i was re-watching the TF /DW fight where and took note of TF having a point deducted for slapping with the top of the hand

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't believe that

- back fist,
- hammer fist,
- side punch,

exist in boxing.

Why?

They exist, they are illegal, to turn your back on your opponent to back fist, and all strikes must land from the face of the fist (any part of the front padding).

MMA allows them but a backfist is a pretty risky maneuver. Early UFC saw a lot more hammerfists than modern, because they are weak.

What do you mean by "side punch" exactly.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
They exist, they are illegal, to turn your back on your opponent to back fist, and all strikes must land from the face of the fist (any part of the front padding).

MMA allows them but a backfist is a pretty risky maneuver. Early UFC saw a lot more hammerfists than modern, because they are weak.

What you are describing sounds more like a spinning backfist. A backfist is more like a variation of the jab, but using the back of the hand and coming from a slightly different angle.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Early UFC saw a lot more hammerfists than modern, because they are weak.

The advantage of a hammer fist over jab or cross is a hammer fist has more muscle (like palm chop) to protect your hand. One day when you have arthritics on your hand, the hammer fist (or palm chop) may be the only weapon that you have left (since you don't need to make a tight fist).

Back in the 70, the hammer fist won't earn you a score in Karate tournament either. Same as MT roundhouse kick won't earn you a point in Karate tournament either.

break.jpg

The side punch is to use the back of your fist (or forearm) to hit on your opponent's body (or head) in a horizontal motion.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It seems like there are 3 camps in Martial Talk. Japanese Theory, Chinese Theory, and MMA Theory.

Different views about this will very from camp to camp.
If we just look at the static punch (punch when feet are not moving), all MA punch should look similar. But when we look at dynamic punch (punch when feet are moving), one has to coordinate his punch with the

- front foot landing, or
- back foot landing, or
- neither.

The difference will appear.

Adam-dynamic-punch-1.gif

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your years in Jow Ga isn't relevant to the training that I do.
  • We don't train at the same schools.
  • You don't train the way I do.
  • I have never seen you do Jow Ga. From my point of view there's no data as to what you can or can't do with Jow Ga. Not one clip of you doing the basics or training Jow Ga and based on some of the things you say and have said, I have my doubts about you training Jow Ga. There are just some concepts that you constantly miss and the only you would not understand those concepts is if you trained when you were too young to understand or if you didn't put in the work. To actually learn how to use Jow Ga.
I've seen you mention that you did Jow Ga a few times. Who did you train under?
, i appreciate you cant do any physical conditioning with out your broom handle so here you go, this guy is doing a proper work out just using a sweeping brush

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
What you are describing sounds more like a spinning backfist. A backfist is more like a variation of the jab, but using the back of the hand and coming from a slightly different angle.

Yes.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes you win, but he a) lives somewhere hot and b) only has a broom handle

he does this work out three times a year

I guess he should move someplace colder, and workout more often.

Latest Discussions