Shaolin Kenpo Castro's not Villari

shima

K3NPO
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
not only are there a LOT of forms, you have to learn both sides of the kata too, so it is actually double double

We haven't been reversing sides on any of the kata's yet thankfully...

Just when I thought my head was super filled up with 5 katas in 4 months, I just learned a 6th form tonight! After spending half an hour as a class practicing High River One together, he decided we needed to do Swift Rapids (a form you don't normally need until 2nd degree black) so we practiced that for the other half hour. I'm really liking all these river forms, since they have a lot more kicks than the other forms we've been working on :)

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
never learned past Iron fan, but i have seen them, very nice combinations for tourny competition. I am sure you will rock it. Loving the video so far

shima

K3NPO
Reaction score
Hmm, need to have him take a video of me doing my tournament forms...

In other news, going for Orange in the style next Saturday (June 4th) :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was my first time seeing some of Mr. Castro's Kenpo. I enjoyed the vids a lot. All the best for what lies ahead! Same to you TF...good luck with your orange! Although I spec you got it nailed already :D

Lightning Ram

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi, just saw this thread and I don't comment on many here, just a lurker. Not a lot of Shaolin Kenpoist post on here, keep up the good work, I remember most of the forms, I was told some have changed abit over the years. Also was able to do most of them both sides. I mostly train at home, not too many Kenpo Classes close by.

Clay

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah, orange in kaju now....spending that year in school slowed me down, but i am back on track now.

shima

K3NPO
Reaction score
Congrats on the orange belt!

I'm working towards Purple Belt next, probably get that in a couple months, whenever the next test is. I already knew all my Purple belt curriculum when I tested for Orange, so now just making it look amazingly good and starting on other belt curriculum.

Most recently my instructor has been working on getting me to have all of Galloping Horse memorized... I've gotten up to Move #27 of 32... so probably by the end of this week we'll finally finish getting through the whole kata... such a long form! :) But it's really fun, I like it a lot.

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi, just saw this thread and I don't comment on many here, just a lurker. Not a lot of Shaolin Kenpoist post on here, keep up the good work, I remember most of the forms, I was told some have changed abit over the years. Also was able to do most of them both sides. I mostly train at home, not too many Kenpo Classes close by.

Clay

Not entirely true....SKK guy here...learning AK...there are a few others!

Chris

tinker1

Green Belt
Reaction score
A bit of a ramble... please bear with me...

My Kenpo Instructor was (infamous) Master Jack Long -

Years back I spoke with .. man I am drawing a blank.. this guy was the Senior Martial Artist of the bay area... everyone was junior to him, even Professor Castro.. maybe his name will come to me later.. wait... Al Novak? YES.. this is him (I just looked him up) http://youtu.be/hMzwwuPYWnc

Anyway, Master Novak told me that Master Long trained for a time under Professor Castro. He also told me that Master Long also trained under Master John Keehan (also infamous).

Anyway, I was just going to say that our forms were different from Professor Castro's..

These days I suppose it may surprise some here, but since I started training with Master Long when I was about 10 years old or so... and then met up with him when I was in my late 40's... and NEVER did I ask him about his lineage. It just never occurred to me.

So I have no idea where what Master Long taught us came from.

I can say that Master Long abhorred weapons... never used them (except for one strange little thing he used that looking like TINY nun-chucks)..

Anyway - aside from his really obvious personality and moral flaws, Master Long was / is an astounding Martial Artist.. so I just took what knowledge he was willing to give, and for me, that was enough.

By the way.. I think I remember Bill Grossman from tournaments back in the 80's in the SF bayarea. I hope no one is offended by this question - but I'm trying to remember if the guy I remember is Bill Grossman.. does he have an artificial leg (lower leg I think).

Sorry for the rambling post.

shima

K3NPO
Reaction score
By the way.. I think I remember Bill Grossman from tournaments back in the 80's in the SF bayarea. I hope no one is offended by this question - but I'm trying to remember if the guy I remember is Bill Grossman.. does he have an artificial leg (lower leg I think).

No he doesn't. But yeah he was competing in the SF area in the 80's.... he has a bunch of his grand champion 5' tall trophies from that time period in the dojo.

He just taught me Ripping Tiger last night, really enjoying that kata.

shima

K3NPO
Reaction score
Actually, the Bill Grossman I know has a artificial leg. In fact here's a website advertizing it: http://www.renewmaterials.com/reviews.php Don't know any other Bill Grossman's in Shaolin Kenpo.

Huh interesting, he has never mentioned it and the way he moves, spars and walks I never would have guessed. Looks like I will be asking to see that later today when I go in!

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We haven't been reversing sides on any of the kata's yet thankfully...

Just when I thought my head was super filled up with 5 katas in 4 months, I just learned a 6th form tonight! After spending half an hour as a class practicing High River One together, he decided we needed to do Swift Rapids (a form you don't normally need until 2nd degree black) so we practiced that for the other half hour. I'm really liking all these river forms, since they have a lot more kicks than the other forms we've been working on :)

Seems like you're learning too many forms, too fast, in my opinion only.

shima

K3NPO
Reaction score
she is already a BB, so it isnt as bad as it sounds

Yeah and honestly I prefer it at the brain overload speed. I would be really bored if they only taught me my current curriculum :)

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
she is already a BB, so it isnt as bad as it sounds

Well, I've been a black belt for 24 years myself, and can learn forms pretty quickly myself, but I think the rate she's learning is a little fast and I wonder about the true understanding she's gaining of what she's learning. Many people just learn the movements, and often even fail to eecute the way they should, but still move on anyway.
No offense intended, just my thoughts based on my experience.

Latest Discussions