How do you pitch kenpo to those who haven't heard of it?

shima

K3NPO
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm always curious how others pitch kenpo to those who have never heard of it in our modern day where there are so many styles out there. For me I use my experience in different styles and compare and contrast it to traditional Japanese karate and tae kwon do since I have the personal experience from those. I always emphasize with shaolin kenpo (Castro branch) that our katas are what differentiate it more than anything else to me, because I tell them you'll never learn a kata just for the sake of practicing a series of moves without knowing why. Kenpo is the heart of the "why" question and every kata will be taught with attacks.

What's your pitch to differentiate? I'm just curious :)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
our katas are what differentiate it more than anything else to me, because I tell them you'll never learn a kata just for the sake of practicing a series of moves without knowing why. Kenpo is the heart of the "why" question and every kata will be taught with attacks.

What's your pitch to differentiate? I'm just curious :)

But that’s not exclusive to just Kenpo....many other styles including karate and TKD teach the reasoning behind each move through bunkai.

Or are you saying that every time you do kata it’s with attackers?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I still have NO idea what kempo/kenpo is.

I am NOT even joking! A martial art yes but I have no clue what it's about or what differentiates it XD

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on the kenpo/kempo. So many different types of arts use it that the different types are signifcantly different. The bunkai thing you referred to, to me, depends more on the school than the style.

As for how i pitch it...i dont. If someone asks, and they know stuff about MA i explain to people its a hybrid self-defense system that has a foundation of karate, with a CMA philosophy, and use of (minimal) judo for self defense. If they ask and they dont know anything about MA, ill say its kickboxing with elbows.

Most of the time though, i dont say anything. I dont even call it kempo, ill just call it karate. People understand that word, and it saves trying to explain it over and over

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
why do you have to "pitch" what you do??
get on the floor and train. if your good, your ability will be obvious and your reputation will be known. people today dont give a rats buttocks what style you do.... but you better be good at it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm the worst sales pitch for Jow Ga unless you want to actually learn how to use it. lol,, which isn't many people

D

Deleted member 39746

Im onto all of your schemes.

im%20watching%20you%20-%20copia.jpg

And i second i dont overly know what it is.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One day a Kenpo instructor walked into my school, He said, "I teach dragon, tiger, leopard, snake, and crane. What do you teach?"

I know they have tiger and crane form. I don't know they have forms for dragon, leopard, and snake.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One day a Kenpo instructor walked into my school, He said, "I teach dragon, tiger, leopard, snake, and crane. What do you teach?"

I know they have tiger and crane form. I don't know they have forms for dragon, leopard, and snake.
In my original style at least, we learn each of the five as having separate movements/fighting styles, and learning how to combine/flow through the styles is the important thing. Bit different then the traditional learn each style. I believe after black belt though, there is a specific form for each animal, but that may have been school specific, and i never bothered learning any of them (outside of eagle claw, which oddly wasnt one of the animals)

RavenDarkfellow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My pitch:

Kenpo is for people who want to learn how to end a fight as efficiently as possible. If you're not interested in sparring, you just want to survive a street encounter, Kenpo is for you.

Source: I am informed by nearly 16 years of practising a variety of arts, as well as about 15 years of sales experience.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
My pitch:

Kenpo is for people who want to learn how to end a fight as efficiently as possible. If you're not interested in sparring, you just want to survive a street encounter, Kenpo is for you.

Source: I am informed by nearly 16 years of practising a variety of arts, as well as about 15 years of sales experience.
Would you not say that sparring would, at least in some small way, help you to survive a street encounter?

Sure, fighting in that case is usually the worst option, but should fighting be the option you are forced to choose would not an alive understanding of timing and distance be important?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you not say that sparring would, at least in some small way, help you to survive a street encounter?

Sure, fighting in that case is usually the worst option, but should fighting be the option you are forced to choose would not an alive understanding of timing and distance be important?
That's my view, MD. I added sparring back into my curriculum (it was prominent in NGA in the past, and has become less so), and moved it more to the fore. There's a lot to be learned and honed through sparring at all levels (light-technical all the way to knockdown), and much of what can be learned there has application for self-defense.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
My pitch:

Good excuse for your club not sparring.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I was hoping he was using sparring as a meta concept there.

And was more describing pressure fighting versus counter fighting.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping he was using sparring as a meta concept there.

And was more describing pressure fighting versus counter fighting.
I didn't read it that way. But since we're on the topic, can you define how you're using those terms here? (Just want to make sure I've understood what you wrote.)

Latest Discussions