Selling gear in your dojo

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sheesh, people don't have to take such offense and be so hostile just because I talk about an observation I make about martial arts programs in YMCAs. I do know there are exceptions and some YMCAs have really good martial arts programs, so people don't have to get so worked up, golly, its just an observation of mine.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sheesh, people don't have to take such offense and be so hostile just because I talk about an observation I make about martial arts programs in YMCAs. I do know there are exceptions and some YMCAs have really good martial arts programs, so people don't have to get so worked up, golly, its just an observation of mine.

I'm not saying this about you, but most people who use the word "Guy" in their login are known for being incredibly ignorant, socially inept douchebags. There are exceptions with some being really cool people and you might be one of them.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
YMCA is a great place. My kids learned how to swim at the Y. Now they compete at a high level. I don't know about the Martial Arts program, but if it's near as good as the swimming program, then it's top quality. I've noticed that the people that work at the Y are talented and very giving of their expertise.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not saying this about you, but most people who use the word "Guy" in their login are known for being incredibly ignorant, socially inept douchebags. There are exceptions with some being really cool people and you might be one of them.

Fair enough. I won't take it personally.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
one of my friends teaches at my local YMCA and she's got spadefulls of quality running through her programmes.

one suggestion don't go slagging off what you don't know cos it will come back and bite you on the *** :)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No hijacking here just clarity of post #14, and my 2 cents

It's not the YMCA or the church gym or the health spa and lets throw in the store front along with the mall dojo. It's all about what people are looking for and the quality of the instruction. Hell, there's awesome garage and cellar dojo that are "kicking butt".

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

You might want to consider reading Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People. It's a good read.

I think "golly" was a nice touch, though. :)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Im not saying this about your YMCA but most martial arts programs at YMCAs are known for being generally inferior and of lower quality than the training you would get at a dojo that just teaches martial arts.

That's a silly statement.

Many instructors start their programs at the local Y's, because startup costs are relatively inexpensive, and they can build up a decent sized program in a relatively short time. If anything, understanding how to build up a martial arts program from almost nothing is a great skill, and those who can build up a decent sized program at such a place will usually have a solid understanding about teaching.

There are exceptions with some YMCAs being known for having really good martial arts programs and your YMCA might be one of them.

Y's will vary, some are great, some are bad. Just because it's a Y, though, does not say anything about the quality of the programs and / or services they offer, and even the quality of such things can vary within a Y.

For that matter, it's no different than a place the likes of SportPlex, etc.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i think Y's are just like every other dojo / gym that's out there -- there are some quality places to train and there are some that really shouldn't be in business but they are cos mummy and daddy want little junior to go and learn MA.

just cos it's a Y don't go slagging it off the instruction is often way better than any mcdojo out there

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Regardless of whether martial arts classes at the Y are generally good or not, telling someone "what you do is usually terrible" to their face is rude. It reminds of me an event I tabled a few weeks ago - I was next to a local gym, and some guy walks over to them and says something like, "gyms are for lazy people who sit on their butt in an office all day. I work out by doing my job". Why would you say that? I always wonder that. I think poorly of a few schools in this area, based on what I've seen of them, but I don't go over to their place and insult them.

That being said, to the actual topic of the thread. Commercial schools that sell gear and uniforms usually buy the gear from a wholesaler/supplier at a reduced/wholesale price, and then resell it for some amount of profit. Popular suppliers in the US include Century, Dynamics, and Tiger Claw. To set up a wholesale account, there's generally an application process that involves sending them a copy of your business license, to prove that you're a real incorporated martial arts school. And if you want them to print your school logo on the gear, you have to pay them a couple hundred bucks as a setup fee.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
That being said, to the actual topic of the thread. Commercial schools that sell gear and uniforms usually buy the gear from a wholesaler/supplier at a reduced/wholesale price, and then resell it for some amount of profit. Popular suppliers in the US include Century, Dynamics, and Tiger Claw. To set up a wholesale account, there's generally an application process that involves sending them a copy of your business license, to prove that you're a real incorporated martial arts school. And if you want them to print your school logo on the gear, you have to pay them a couple hundred bucks as a setup fee.

There is no such thing as a business license for a martial arts school. To set up a business as a doctor or a lawyer or lots of other professions you do need a license of some sort but there are no regulations regarding instruction in the martial arts. Technically speaking, somebody who knows nothing about the martial arts can read a book on martial arts and then set up a school, although their business probably won't last long.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a business license for a martial arts school. To set up a business as a doctor or a lawyer or lots of other professions you do need a license of some sort but there are no regulations regarding instruction in the martial arts. Technically speaking, somebody who knows nothing about the martial arts can read a book on martial arts and then set up a school, although their business probably won't last long.

You don't actually know what a business license is, do you?
:face palm:
In many (most?) places in the USA, running a business requires a (wait for it...)... Business license...
Thats right... a license issued by the municipality that allows you to run a business.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
not much different from where i live :)

i set up trading for myself and all i really needed was a bank account and an accountant to make sure that HMRC knew i was above board. at the time of registering (you gotta fill out a bunch of forms) your firm they do a bunch of checks and you get sent a photocard so you can pay your tax more easily.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you might be thinking of credentials for practice, like a doctor or notary etc.

In Australia like most places you need to be registered to run a business

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

A business license, not a professional license. A business license is a piece of paper you get from your state or county giving you the right to operate a business there. It's something that you get when you incorporate your business, or at least it was for us. It doesn't have anything to do with whether you're any good at teaching martial arts, cooking pizza, fixing electronics, selling clothes, or whatever else your business does.

What it does, in this context, is to prove to the supplier that John Doe owns and operates an actual business called John's Karate Academy, which if it's successful will be need to buy thousands or tens of thousands of dollars worth of uniforms, sparring gear, equipment, etc every year.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You don't actually know what a business license is, do you?
:face palm:
In many (most?) places in the USA, running a business requires a (wait for it...)... Business license...
Thats right... a license issued by the municipality that allows you to run a business.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Im supposed to be facepalming you, not the other way around. Get it right.

Latest Discussions