Self defense

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
1. I think Disco and the others who addressed the expense of formal martial arts training are on target. $50/month is a lot of money when you live in NYC, earn minimum wage and have a kid or two.

2. While it's true that BJJ will not protect you against a drive-by, neither will a gun, unless you're standing in the street pointing it all the time.

3. Nobody's addressed the issue of violence against women. This is not usually the "bad guy in a dark alley" scenario, but domestic violence and violence by male acquaintances. Here's an area where self-defense training is sorely needed, and minimally available.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
3. Nobody's addressed the issue of violence against women. This is not usually the "bad guy in a dark alley" scenario, but domestic violence and violence by male acquaintances. Here's an area where self-defense training is sorely needed, and minimally available.

Is it? Or do few women see the need for it, until they need it?

I have never been to a dojo that does not teach women who want to learn, and many of them have programs specific to womens defense. I think, in any area where self-defense training is offered, its offered to women.

Unless I am misunderstaning what you mean by Minimally availible?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A related topic on domestic violence and violence against women can be found here.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
brothershaw said:
the people who most regularly have to live with crime and violence arent the people filling self defense classes and talking about whats the best knife to carry, and the best techniques to defend yourself. Aside from the average law enforcer or military person it seems mainly people who have minimal contact with crime and "bad" neighborhoods are the ones trying to be the most prepared for it.
You know, I just had a thought about this. Do you suppose that the "average contemporary westerner" has a subconscious requirement for a certain amount of violence? Those living in a violent place have enough, those living in peace need to supplement. Does this sound crazy?

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
flatlander said:
You know, I just had a thought about this. Do you suppose that the "average contemporary westerner" has a subconscious requirement for a certain amount of violence? Those living in a violent place have enough, those living in peace need to supplement. Does this sound crazy?
Interesting point. Perhaps so - could it be the "grass is always greener" phenomenon?

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
flatlander said:

A Fight Club Complex perhaps?

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Self-defense training for women is abundantly available in the dojo...minimally available in women's shelters and for poor women.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Is it? Or do few women see the need for it, until they need it?

I have never been to a dojo that does not teach women who want to learn, and many of them have programs specific to womens defense. I think, in any area where self-defense training is offered, its offered to women.

Phoenix44 said:
Self-defense training is abundantly available in the dojo...minimally available in women's shelters and for poor women.
You both have a point. I think most women don't really think about their need for continuing training in self-defense in pretext - they may take a class from the local P.D. and have done with it, take a gun safety class and carry a firearm around with them 24/7 or pepper spray or a pair of scissors, sling their purse strap diagonally over one shoulder and the other hip and think they're safe. Or, they always walk around with a guy friend or in a gaggle of women and think it's that simple.

However, underpriveledged women and women who are already victims (categorically speaking) do not have easy access to self-defense in the long term. Not many people are willing to teach 20 abused or raped women long-term for free or for reduced cost.

And let's be frank - many of the younger women who join usually wind up dating a guy in the class, they get serious, then they break up and who stays? The guy. It's a tragedy for women - everone, really - that the majority of us walk around with a false sense of security and safety and that those of us who can make a difference can't recognize and help fulfill the needs of victims and the underpriveledged who are so at-risk for victimization and repeat victimization.

OP
B

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
1- The issue of women ( being abused) just goes back to the original paradox ( point) often the people who you would think need self-defense or martial arts training the most ( and not necessarily to instructor level) are often the people the least exposed to it, or the least able to take advantage of it ( money, time, whatever).
2- People who are exposed to real violence and or crime ( whether it be a high crime area or a war zone) tend to have a different view of it than people who are just concerned about being prepared for violence but have little to no real contact with it.

Its very easy to talk about 90% of fights go to the ground, or carry this knife this way for a quick draw compared to actually living in certain conditions where things could hit the fan but its nots so academic. ( A woman in an abusive relationship probably doesnt care about 90% of fights going to the ground!)

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
brothershaw said:
1- The issue of women ( being abused) just goes back to the original paradox ( point) often the people who you would think need self-defense or martial arts training the most ( and not necessarily to instructor level) are often the people the least exposed to it, or the least able to take advantage of it ( money, time, whatever).
2- People who are exposed to real violence and or crime ( whether it be a high crime area or a war zone) tend to have a different view of it than people who are just concerned about being prepared for violence but have little to no real contact with it.
Absolutely - it's everyday life for them.

brothershaw said:
Its very easy to talk about 90% of fights go to the ground, or carry this knife this way for a quick draw compared to actually living in certain conditions where things could hit the fan but its nots so academic. ( A woman in an abusive relationship probably doesnt care about 90% of fights going to the ground!)
That is, unless, she's been taken to the ground.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
Self-defense training for women is abundantly available in the dojo...minimally available in women's shelters and for poor women.

So you don't specificlly mean "Self Defense" but defense by society and the community? or do you mean battered women's shelters do not provide training?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I am really trying to understand what you mean...

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey!!!! Techno, are we related? Cuz this is kinda what I look like when my Aunt Flo is visiting.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats what I look like on a good day, apparently.