are you paranoid?

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
considering that most people who live a normal life, they don't do drugs, engage in crime, stay away from those who do, will never be,a,victim of a violent criminal attack...if you study martial arts for self defense....

Are you being paranoid by taking the martial arts?

And this doesn't include side benefits of the arts...this is if you specifically train for self defense...are you being paranoid...?

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
considering that most people who love a normal life, they don't do drugs, engage in crime, stay away from those who do, will never be,a,victim of a violent criminal attack...if you study martial arts for self defense....

And this doesn't include side benefits of the arts...this is if you specifically train for self defense...are you being paranoid...?

From my perspective no, you just know what you are about yet.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't do martial arts just for self-defense, quite frankly that is the massive additional side benefit. I wouldn't be spending as much time as I do training in machete dueling if practical self-defense was the only reason I was doing this.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Answer to the OP ... no. I think that I probably had a fascination for H2H fighting from reading books about commandos when I was a kid. Self defence? Sure, a great side benefit if required, but certainly nothing to do with expecting to be attacked or needing to defend myself. When the opportunity arose some 30 years later to learn karate with my son I took it and 30 years later I'm still learning. Most of the guys I started with have long given it away, but to be honest, I find it fascinating to decipher the kata. Kata are like the kids' 'Pick a Path' books ... you can choose the same story or find a different one, or the same story with a different ending, every day you train. Learning other arts becomes a natural progression that helps understand kata. In a nutshell, it is the combined mental and physical challenge of karate that keeps me going back for more. Then I learn Aikido. Hardly the first choice for self defence if one was paranoid. But Aikido is very 'cerebral' which keeps me going back for more.

That, and of course the health benefit of regularly getting up off the couch. ;)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Answer to the OP ... no. I think that I probably had a fascination for H2H fighting from reading books about commandos when I was a kid. Self defence? Sure, a great side benefit if required, but certainly nothing to do with expecting to be attacked or needing to defend myself. When the opportunity arose some 30 years later to learn karate with my son I took it and 30 years later I'm still learning. Most of the guys I started with have long given it away, but to be honest, I find it fascinating to decipher the kata. Kata are like the kids' 'Pick a Path' books ... you can choose the same story or find a different one, or the same story with a different ending, every day you train. Learning other arts becomes a natural progression that helps understand kata. In a nutshell, it is the combined mental and physical challenge of karate that keeps me going back for more. Then I learn Aikido. Hardly the first choice for self defence if one was paranoid. But Aikido is very 'cerebral' which keeps me going back for more.

That, and of course the health benefit of regularly getting up off the couch. ;)
I read too many Destroyer novels not to, at least, be able to kill with my bare hands. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Accepting the possibility is not paranoia.

Do you have car insurance? Even though you may well be a careful driver and not get into a crash... you still have car insurance. Because, while you may well be in a statistical group that is unlikely to be in a crash -- or the victim of a violent offense -- you as an individual are not a statistic. So there's no way to say that you will not be the one in the statistical group who IS attacked.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think it is, now if you're learning it for self defense because you think certain people or anyone could be after you then it's paranoid but if you want to be safe in case of an emergency or have a bully issue no...

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
considering that most people who live a normal life, they don't do drugs, engage in crime, stay away from those who do, will never be,a,victim of a violent criminal attack...if you study martial arts for self defense....

Paranoid? The irrational fear to the point of delusion that someone or something is out to get me or intentionally trying to hurt me by taking the martial arts?
No not being paranoid.
I've got a fire control system in my home and I'm not expecting a fire. Does that mean I'm paranoid? I've taken defensive driving courses. Does that make me paranoid? Been trained in water and jungle survival. Does that make me paranoid?

No I don't believe I'm paranoid at all.
Do you lock you doors at your home or vehicle when you leave? Does that make you paranoid?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I see what you're doing there. They're after me, aren't they?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Yes. Yes I am, quite famously, paranoid.

Doesn't mean you're not all out to get me.

In fact, you are. It's a life lesson.The air I breathe, the food I eat, the water I drink, the machines that surround me and that I must use, the birds and beasts and sea creatures, and the very earth I walk upon: all these things conspire to undo me.

Hell, even my own body is crafting my ultimate destruction, and one day will succeed.

Why should the human race be any different? Can I believe for moment that there's one of you, a single one of you that would not benefit in some way from my death?

Of course I'm paranoid: it's just common sense at this point......:lfao:

Seriously, though: prepared is not paranoid

Trust me-I know from paranoid, and seeking self defense training and/or carrying a weapon of some sort? THat's not it.

Thinking that the neighbors are going through your garbage for information they can share with the government or other governments-that's paranoid.

Even if it turns out to be true. (True story, sure 'nuff! :lfao: )

Thinking you're under constant surveillance by person or people unknown? THat's paranoid.

Even when it turns out to be true. (True story, sure 'nuff! :lfao: :lfao: )

Scanning your home for listening devices and yanking out the medicine cabinet in your bathroom because there's a camera hidden in there? That's paranoid.

Even when it....nah, there was no camera back there: I was just being paranoid! :lfao: :lfao: :lfao: Wouldn't you, by that point? :lfao: :lfao: :lfao: :lfao:

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope, but never hurts to be both prepared and paranoid; got my weapon, shelter, back up plan in case the weapon is also apart of the conspiracy, all of my theories and organized too(with the fancy tabs too) :D

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes. Yes I am, quite famously, paranoid.

Doesn't mean you're not all out to get me.

In fact, you are. It's a life lesson.The air I breathe, the food I eat, the water I drink, the machines that surround me and that I must use, the birds and beasts and sea creatures, and the very earth I walk upon: all these things conspire to undo me.

Hell, even my own body is crafting my ultimate destruction, and one day will succeed.

Why should the human race be any different? Can I believe for moment that there's one of you, a single one of you that would not benefit in some way from my death?

Of course I'm paranoid: it's just common sense at this point......:lfao:

Seriously, though: prepared is not paranoid

Trust me-I know from paranoid, and seeking self defense training and/or carrying a weapon of some sort? THat's not it.

Thinking that the neighbors are going through your garbage for information they can share with the government or other governments-that's paranoid.

Even if it turns out to be true. (True story, sure 'nuff! :lfao: )

Thinking you're under constant surveillance by person or people unknown? THat's paranoid.

Even when it turns out to be true. (True story, sure 'nuff! :lfao: :lfao: )

Scanning your home for listening devices and yanking out the medicine cabinet in your bathroom because there's a camera hidden in there? That's paranoid.

Even when it....nah, there was no camera back there: I was just being paranoid! :lfao: :lfao: :lfao: Wouldn't you, by that point? :lfao: :lfao: :lfao: :lfao:
Mate, you promised to stay off the weed! ;)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Truly intelligent people are a little paranoid. If you are gifted with natural talent, there is no reason you should assume everyone else doesn't have your gifts; so, we all play the game of life as if everyone thinks just like us and is just holding back or something... sneaky bastards! :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's an example of my paranoia. I have turned off or otherwise disabled all internal 'convenience' lighting inside my vehicles. Why? Because when I open my car door at night, I don't like being a silhouette. In addition, I know where everything in my car is. No one else needs to know.

I'd give you other examples, but that would violate my need to keep what I do to myself. Savvy?

Latest Discussions