Self Defence Techniques

falcon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello I am wondering what are some videos of different techniques people have found to be useful, I am looking for things that people have used to defend themselves, their students have used or there friends and family have used. I am trying to find a variety of different techniques. Videos of the technique would be helpful so i know what your talking about. And please don't start a long argument in this thread and ruin it.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very rare that self defence techniques taught in classes will work in the exact same way they're taught. Self defence techniques are just a way of putting moves together so you can have a wide variety of moves and can see how they flow together

Reactions: pdg
OP
F

falcon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Very rare that self defence techniques taught in classes will work in the exact same way they're taught. Self defence techniques are just a way of putting moves together so you can have a wide variety of moves and can see how they flow together
I understand that they dont work out the same way but you end up doing something similar to the technique you train.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
RNC, for a technique.

But once, in a more threatening situation, it was just slight adjustments while being grabbed. I put myself in a safe position, so I could relax, and yet able to strike to ‘ko’, if needed. Then just gave him time to calm down. So, no name. Hard to have clean techniques in self defence. It’s a mix of things, awareness, and identifying the opportunities.

Another not serious, but that I found curious. My brother, for no reason other than testing me, once tried to hit me on the back. I saw the reflexes on a car window and turned to the right side, blocking/puting myself out of the way of the hummer punch. What is the name of it?

Hope you can get better answers, because I would like to know as well.

D

Deleted member 39746

I stand by more principle based teaching.

But i have used my fist and chokes/grappling* when i do things. Or a chair/weapon*.

*Have had zero training for that.

I am actively trying to work out what type of punch i did though, i think it was a neater haymaker of the horizontal type not vertical. Those are the two i am leaning towards what i did, i still don't know precisely what it was.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I stand by more principle based teaching.

But i have used my fist and chokes/grappling* when i do things. Or a chair/weapon*.

*Have had zero training for that.

I am actively trying to work out what type of punch i did though, i think it was a neater haymaker of the horizontal type not vertical. Those are the two i am leaning towards what i did, i still don't know precisely what it was.

You stand by principle training yet, You seem to have issues elsewhere with principles ?

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello I am wondering what are some videos of different techniques people have found to be useful, I am looking for things that people have used to defend themselves, their students have used or there friends and family have used. I am trying to find a variety of different techniques. Videos of the technique would be helpful so i know what your talking about. And please don't start a long argument in this thread and ruin it.

Are you looking to learn techniques from videos? Do you have a background in MA or SD ?

Learning from vids is ok (or imo expanding on what you already know can be done from vids ) but not from scratch for that imo you require a competent instructor.

There are thousands of vids out there. Do they all work (the techs) maybe maybe not it does somewhat depend on the person performing them, Go look for vids on you tube and post them and then guys will say yay or nay (well there might be warm discussion lol) and some might even be able to point out the art or arts they came from which could indeed give you more background if that is what you seek .

Just be aware that vids are just that they can be used as a reference or a tool but not wholly relied upon as a teaching method

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This mate, is the best sekf defence move in the world ever

Anyone concerned for there well being shoukd prqctise it every day

D

Deleted member 39746

You stand by principle training yet, You seem to have issues elsewhere with principles ?

Difficult, i dont think i have experienced a big principle based instruction to make a good clarification between the two. If you know what i mean. Where as TKD is kind of techninque based rather than principle or at least it has a lot of places which focus on technique rather than principle. I have not seen the epitome of both to determine which either is. (this sentence makes my point exactly)

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Difficult, i dont think i have experienced a big principle based instruction to make a good clarification between the two. If you know what i mean. Where as TKD is kind of techninque based rather than principle or at least it has a lot of places which focus on technique rather than principle. I have not seen the epitome of both to determine which either is. (this sentence makes my point exactly)

Rat I give up

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

I think you need to train a lot longer in tkd and do a lot of study before you can say it's not based on principles.

D

Deleted member 39746

I think you need to train a lot longer in tkd and do a lot of study before you can say it's not based on principles.

Everything tends to be, or else it wont work. Like i said i haven't experienced a perfect example of either.
Actually, just remembered what the main principle of TKD's moves are, generating energy and countering out, its cited as being based on the newtons second law. DM me if you wish to correct/discuss that.

Also, i like how all the people discussing TKD with me might have different styles and also to myself. :p

Also carrying on from what i put, the chair was with the full intention to maim with it, so make sure you actually have the correct intent with what you use. If you dont intend to maim your opponent avoid using certain things and make sure you know the ramifications from it.

OP
F

falcon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Are you looking to learn techniques from videos? Do you have a background in MA or SD ?

Learning from vids is ok (or imo expanding on what you already know can be done from vids ) but not from scratch for that imo you require a competent instructor.

There are thousands of vids out there. Do they all work (the techs) maybe maybe not it does somewhat depend on the person performing them, Go look for vids on you tube and post them and then guys will say yay or nay (well there might be warm discussion lol) and some might even be able to point out the art or arts they came from which could indeed give you more background if that is what you seek .

Just be aware that vids are just that they can be used as a reference or a tool but not wholly relied upon as a teaching method
I have experience i have been doing martial arts for about 7-8 years. I am looking to expand and I also want to focus on self defense more then anything also so i am working on study more of it.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have experience i have been doing martial arts for about 7-8 years. I am looking to expand and I also want to focus on self defense more then anything also so i am working on study more of it.

That good, how about adapting what you already know to fit the bill ?