lifespantkd

Blue Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is new to me, but I think that it is a good thing. I'd welcome Glenn, Master Cole's or Master Stoker's thoughts on the topic, as I suspect that they are more in the know about it than I am.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
This is new to me, but I think that it is a good thing. I'd welcome Glenn, Master Cole's or Master Stoker's thoughts on the topic, as I suspect that they are more in the know about it than I am.

I believe it is an additional effort by Kukkiwon to bring world wide instructors closer to the source of Taekwondo information, experience and education.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is so instructors can educate themself and there students while the KKW can keep better track of its members. I see this as a positive for KKW TKD, so many times people tend to get the WTF and KKW as one. In reality they are two seperate venue for TKD one is supplying the ruleset for sport TKD while the other is more on the line of TKD. What I would love to see one day is the WTF issueing a BB for those that only do the sport side of TKD and completely seperate itself from the KKW side. Lets see if that will ever happen inmy lifetime.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is so instructors can educate themself and there students while the KKW can keep better track of its members. I see this as a positive for KKW TKD, so many times people tend to get the WTF and KKW as one. In reality they are two seperate venue for TKD one is supplying the ruleset for sport TKD while the other is more on the line of TKD. What I would love to see one day is the WTF issueing a BB for those that only do the sport side of TKD and completely seperate itself from the KKW side. Lets see if that will ever happen inmy lifetime.

I don't know if the Kukkiwon wants to actually track it's members, it does however want better communication with Taekwondoin around the world and provide Taekwondoin with direct access to Kukkiwon.

Depending on your age, the separation of Dan issuing already happened during your lifetime. From February 16, 1982 to January 1, 1988 the Kukkiwon did hand over Dan certification process of non-Korean practitioners to the WTF. Being that the WTF's job was to help set up and assist Member National Associations of the WTF in other nations, this might have seemed to make sense. But they decided that everyone would have a relationship with Kukkiwon, not separating any one group from the other.

OP
lifespantkd

lifespantkd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This statement is at the bottom of the application form right above the signature: "My members, instructors and I agree to comply with the rules and regulations of the KUKKIWON." This can be interpreted to mean that one goal of this membership system is to bring Kukkiwon dojangs closer to Kukkiwon standards. Which leads to a question of how well most Kukkiwon Taekwondo practitioners and, particularly, Kukkiwon Taekwondo instructors/dojang owners understand Kukkiwon standards and teach to them.

Cynthia

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, I do not see anything different with KMS than how it was previously. I still fill out applications the same way. There are certain additional benefits if you process a lot of poom/dan applications, which is good. And you get another kukkiwon certificate, which people like, so there is that as well. But it does violate the agreement that kukkiwon had with ustc.

OP
lifespantkd

lifespantkd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I do not see anything different with KMS than how it was previously. I still fill out applications the same way. There are certain additional benefits if you process a lot of poom/dan applications, which is good. And you get another kukkiwon certificate, which people like, so there is that as well. But it does violate the agreement that kukkiwon had with ustc.

How does it violate the agreement that the Kukkiwon had with USTC?

Thank you,

Cynthia

OP
lifespantkd

lifespantkd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So, is anyone here actually a member of the Kukkiwon Membership System?

Cynthia

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This statement is at the bottom of the application form right above the signature: "My members, instructors and I agree to comply with the rules and regulations of the KUKKIWON." This can be interpreted to mean that one goal of this membership system is to bring Kukkiwon dojangs closer to Kukkiwon standards. Which leads to a question of how well most Kukkiwon Taekwondo practitioners and, particularly, Kukkiwon Taekwondo instructors/dojang owners understand Kukkiwon standards and teach to them.

Cynthia

Like puunui stated I believe more and more instructors are beginning to search out the standard. I my self have not read into the membership system, I was told about it. I have been involved for a longtime, I think it was really designed to get more people involved.

OP
lifespantkd

lifespantkd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What did you have to do to join the Kukkiwon Member System?

There's a link to an application document on the page that I provided the link to in my opening post. It looks like you just complete the application and email/fax/mail it in. It asks for basic information, including Kukkiwon dan level, Kukkiwon dan certification number, contact information, number of dojangs....and an agreement to abide by the rules and regulations of the Kukkiwon. So, the application process doesn't look too involved.

Cynthia

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
What did you have to do to join the Kukkiwon Member System?

The gentleman in charge of the Pan Am region for the Kukkiwon, Mr. Lee (who I have known for over ten years back when he was Dr. Kim's personal secretary) told me he would just process me for KMS, known as KOMS back then, since he had all my information already. Really nice guy, when he found out I was a book collector he opened up this storage room at the Kukkiwon right outside of the president's office, which was filled with books, and said I could have whatever I wanted. It was like being a kid in a candy store. That's when I got that extra copy of the 25th anniversary album for you. He has since moved to the Academy side.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The gentleman in charge of the Pan Am region for the Kukkiwon, Mr. Lee (who I have known for over ten years back when he was Dr. Kim's personal secretary) told me he would just process me for KMS, known as KOMS back then, since he had all my information already. Really nice guy, when he found out I was a book collector he opened up this storage room at the Kukkiwon right outside of the president's office, which was filled with books, and said I could have whatever I wanted. It was like being a kid in a candy store. That's when I got that extra copy of the 25th anniversary album for you. He has since moved to the Academy side.

That was very kind of you to send me that album. I have showed that book to a number of Korean born Taekwondo instructors. Most had never seen it. They get all excited and start looking through it finding the names of their instructors, seniors, juniors and in some cases, there own name or own picture. When ever I bring visitors to the Kukkiwon, they are always so kind and helpful, showering them with posters, pins, flags, books, etc. They set a good example and don't think of what you can do for them. Just like you having access to a gold mine of books at the Kukkiwon, but thinking of others instead of just your self.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am. You get a certificate, a full sized kukkiwon flag, some stickers.

I don't have any kind of flags, certificates, awards or photos hanging in any of my dojangs. They are very Spartan, very Seon (Zen) like. Maybe I should sign up so I can get the new Kukkiwon flag and hang it up somewhere, just to surprise the students.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am interested in Kukkiwon practitioners' thoughts on the Kukkiwon Membership System: http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/eng/front...629&category=1&pageNum=1&searchKey=&searchVal=

If you study Kukkiwon Taekwondo, is your dojang owner a member in this system? If you are the owner of a dojang and teach Kukkiwon Taekwondo, do you participate in this? Why or why not?

I joined once I got my 5th Dan for two reasons - 1) to support the Kukkiwon and be counted as a number and 2) so that I can process dan grades for my students and other people I want to help to get standard certification.

The goodies you get are very nice - here's a picture I uploaded to Facebook after I got my (surprise, wasn't expecting anything) package in the post:

View attachment $307806_10150467843653455_646538454_10843099_1551869831_n.jpg

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I joined once I got my 5th Dan for two reasons - 1) to support the Kukkiwon and be counted as a number and 2) so that I can process dan grades for my students and other people I want to help to get standard certification.

The goodies you get are very nice - here's a picture I uploaded to Facebook after I got my (surprise, wasn't expecting anything) package in the post:

View attachment 16108

Well, I am convinced. I shall have to finally, after all these years, become a Kukkiwon member :)

That makes me wonder, since I have never been a member of the World Taekwondo Federation, maybe I can join that too, then after all these years of being a Taekwondoin, I would finally be a member of both.

Poomsaeguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am a member as well as my Dojang ( RO1-8491) I was in Korea for the KOMS luanch party. I was and is my Honor!

Latest Discussions