Scott Olsen: Marine Hero. Not.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not much to add. Except that I still haven't seen any evidence the police "aimed" the canister at his head. In such a case, if it is proven, the policeman who fired it at him should be charged with ADW or perhaps even attempted murder. I would think it more likely that he was either hit by a richochet, or stepped into the path of the object after it was fired. I certainly would hope that the policeman is not the murderer such an action would indicate. All that if it is even true he was hit by a tear gas canister. Most policeman know enough to try very hard to ensure they don't hit anyone. So either it was some kind of freak accident, or it wasn't a tear gas canister.

Bill - thanks for the thread. I totally agree with your comment he seems not to have been a good Marine, at least toward the end, whatever he may have been before (and I agree with all who have said he has a right to protest. All citizens do, as long as it is peaceful).

He doesn't have any more legal right to protest because he is a veteran. I'm not sure how much moral right he has, perhaps some. I am glad when people acknowledge my service (if a little embarassed), but honestly, I did it because I wanted to, because I felt it a patriotic duty, and because I mostly enjoyed being in the Army.

BTW, thanks for everyone who cleared up that bit about Marines being Marines, and Soldiers being Soldiers. After all, we Soldiers have some pride. :uhyeah: :uhyeah: Actually, I am just surprised Bill, that it took you so long to clear that up. I was thinking as I read down the thread that I had to comment on that before you took certain posters to task. :uhyeah:

And for those who may not have followed any of my other posts about service pride and rivalry, I have tremendous respect for Marines. My first three years were in the Army Airborne Infantry. I respect any light infantry. They tend to be given the tough jobs because they can get places faster than others. Yeah, we're all good!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just to set the record straight, while I'm a veteran, I enlisted in the Air Force because I scored too well on the ASVAB to qualify for the Marines or the Army. :)

Seriously, though, in addition to my time in the USAF, I have two brothers who were in the Navy, one who was in the Army (Airborne Infantry), and my mom and dad were both in the Air Force (dad's retired). Serving in the military is more common in my family than graduating from high school.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And for those who may not have followed any of my other posts about service pride and rivalry, I have tremendous respect for Marines. My first three years were in the Army Airborne Infantry. I respect any light infantry. They tend to be given the tough jobs because they can get places faster than others. Yeah, we're all good!

Hooah, one for the Army. Sorry, now back to the OP............... :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hooah, one for the Army. Sorry, now back to the OP............... :)

One more for my niece! She now has something else in common with my dad. In addition to being an MP, like he was......she's... a Sergeant! Like he was! Promoted on her 21st birthday! HOOAH!

OKOKOK back to the topic :eek:

I don't know about the experience of the rest of you guys, but I've only met one person who strongly hinted conversation that they had an OTH. After he learned I was working for a NATO contractor, he made a comment with regards to the military (it wasn't a negative one). I asked him if he had was in the Army he joked that the Army taught him a lot of good lessons, he just wished he learned more of them when he was actually serving. :lol:

Not a bad dude. He manages a local restaurant and has hinted that he's scouting the area for the right place and opportunity to open a bistro of his own. Restauranteurs work their asses off. He certainly hasn't dedicated himself to the message that the Army is the wrong choice, he's dedicated himself to mastering his grill.

Some people have a really rough go of it, which sucks....but I can't see why someone would want to dwell on such a thing once they are out.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Looking at the bigger picture, anytime a veteran stands up and opposes the warfare state, it's a bridge-spanning moment that has the potential to tie the left and the right wings of American politics together. War is the worst social program a government can devise and it's important for the future of this country for for the left and the right to identify it as such. It doesn't surprise me that this man's personal tragedy is being spun off into a propaganda gulag. The Main Stream Media is does a wonderful job at aggravating an artificial divide for their controlling oligarchs. Divide and conquer.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks, Josh. I also had not seen the details of his separation from the Marine Corps until I happened to be looking for it last night; it's a new story. All I had seen before was rumors, so I tried to avoid saying that he was definitely kicked out of the Marines until I saw the news story last night quoting his uncle confirming the story.We may disagree, but I appreciate your gentlemanly manner. Thanks again.
One thing I live by: it's not about who's right. It is about what is correct.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
One more for my niece! She now has something else in common with my dad. In addition to being an MP, like he was......she's... a Sergeant! Like he was! Promoted on her 21st birthday! HOOAH!

Congrats to her (and to your dad)! I too spent time in MP MOS.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just to set the record straight, while I'm a veteran, I enlisted in the Air Force because I scored too well on the ASVAB to qualify for the Marines or the Army. :)

That's what all the guys claim that can't do the requisite number of pull ups to get in to the Army or Marines. :)

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm just curious, is a discharge for medical reasons also considered OTH?

No. There is actually a Medica Discharge, however medical discharges can be Honorable, General, or Non-Characterized depending on the reason for the discharge, when in the servicemembers period of service that it occurs, and any other mitigating circumstaces that happen to surround the discharge.

Other than Honorable, typically but not always, occurs when there is miscouduct on the part of the servicemember sometimes resulting in a Court Martial but not always. There is also a Bad Conduct Discharge as well.

Point is, there are many ways to end ones term of service. There are also a lot of mitigating factor in the type of discharge that on receives. Specualtion on the subject of an individual servicmember's discharge without knowing the specifics is difficult at best and better avoided.

All in all though, noting beats an Honorable Discharge, even though I have witnessed some senior enlisted members as well a few officers that were allowed to retire in place of charges so they received Honorable.

The issue can be murky and politicizing this event, from either side of the fence, is distastefull. The OWS movement playing up his service for political gain is wrong as is discrediting the things he did for his country to make a political statement.

Just a thought,
Mark

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes those were the days, then reality hit........... I remember seeing this one back a while ago, great pic............

Latest Discussions