schools in Maryland

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a possibility that I might be moving to Maryland in the next few months... Just got a nice job offer :) I was curious if anyone knows of any good schools in the Aberdeen area. Any insight? I'm also curious to talk to people that might know the area, see what its like :)

thanks!

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Aberdeen Proving Grounds?

Actually, yes :) I won't be living on base (not military), but may be living w/in thirty minutes of the facility. Trying to find decent places to possibly live.

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I spent many a cold night sleeping in the troop compartment of a M-113 tracked-vehicle out on the training grounds of APG... "back in the day"...

A good friend (and former co-worker) now has a government job there...

From what I've seen of the surrounding area... it's nice... although I wasn't off-base at all when I was there... and this is from recall and/or other trips through the area...

Glad to hear you're excited about the idea of moving to MD... and congrats if you take the job! :ultracool

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I grew up in Aberdeen, but haven't been back for a prolonged period for almost 20 years. My folks worked at the old Ballistics Research Lab on Aberdeen Proving Ground for xx years.

It is a good place to raise a family - like taking a 'time warp' back a few decades. The head of the Chesapeake Bay is beautiful, the woods and state parks nearby are great. You have a lot of that small-town 'feel', but there is more crime continuing to move into the area. You are not too far from malls in Bel Air and Whitemarsh, close enough to Baltimore for concerts and sporting events. Schools are reasonable - not great, not bad.

As far as MA schools, you might want to look online at the yahoo yellow pages. I know that one of the larger haidong gumdo (Korean swordsmanship) schools is very close by (Havre de Grace, and a satellite school in Bel Air). If you're interested, please PM me and I can pass you some contact info.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a possibility that I might be moving to Maryland in the next few months... Just got a nice job offer :) I was curious if anyone knows of any good schools in the Aberdeen area. Any insight? I'm also curious to talk to people that might know the area, see what its like :)

thanks!
Any particular styles you're interested in? There's lots available in the MD/DC/VA area...

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score

thanks!

Bel Air, Fallston, White Marsh, Perry Hall are decent neighborhoods. Whatever you do, do not move into Edgewood. Gang problems are popping up all over that area. Like NinjaMom said, Aberdeen has a crime problem too, the same element that has trashed Edgewood, is closing in on Aberdeen, and Havre De Grace.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any particular styles you're interested in? There's lots available in the MD/DC/VA area...

I've studied a bit in the Bujinkan. From preliminary research I've found a few nice X-kan places there. I'm reasonably open to styles though... I've got some prejudices of course :)

As far as MA schools, you might want to look online at the yahoo yellow pages. I know that one of the larger haidong gumdo (Korean swordsmanship) schools is very close by (Havre de Grace, and a satellite school in Bel Air). If you're interested, please PM me and I can pass you some contact info.
I might be interested... I've been researching Iaido groups here, but have not looked at gumdo. I'll research that a bit :) ty ty!

Bel Air, Fallston, White Marsh, Perry Hall are decent neighborhoods. Whatever you do, do not move into Edgewood. Gang problems are popping up all over that area. Like NinjaMom said, Aberdeen has a crime problem too, the same element that has trashed Edgewood, is closing in on Aberdeen, and Havre De Grace.

I'll be working near Edgewood, but I'll have to agree. I'd not want to live there. Went to Bel Air, it was nice. I'll look at the other places too. Thanks for the hints!