Looking for a MA referral in Annapolis, MD

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
or College Park, Maryland. I'm moving to a small town near both towns, one so small I doubt there is much there, but hey, if you know one in Lothian, Mayland, please let me know. I'm primarily interested in self defense, "reality based" would be the best, but I know there is some good teaching in more traditional arts as well. I've read that the yellow pages are not necessarily the best place to look for a school, so I'm asking for a referral here.

Thanks, and have a peaceful, pleasant Holiday season.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you google that zip code, and "martial arts," you get a listing of a variety of styles. Go see for yourself what fits your preferences by visiting them.

zen4me

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
or College Park, Maryland. I'm moving to a small town near both towns, one so small I doubt there is much there, but hey, if you know one in Lothian, Mayland, please let me know. I'm primarily interested in self defense, "reality based" would be the best, but I know there is some good teaching in more traditional arts as well. I've read that the yellow pages are not necessarily the best place to look for a school, so I'm asking for a referral here.

Thanks, and have a peaceful, pleasant Holiday season.

I'd refer you to the Krav school in Columbia, MD but not sure where you are with Krav considering the post in the KM forum. However, it is a Regional Training Center and supposed to be excellent. I go to the school in DC (different owners) but have only heard positives about the Columbia school.

- Kelly

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd refer you to the Krav school in Columbia, MD but not sure where you are with Krav considering the post in the KM forum. However, it is a Regional Training Center and supposed to be excellent. I go to the school in DC (different owners) but have only heard positives about the Columbia school.

- Kelly

I have mixed feelings about Krav. I had more of a problem with that specific instructor than Krav, really. I got some good things out of Krav, the elbow strikes are excellent. Thanks for the referral, I'll check it out.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mike Guercio runs a great school:

http://www.cckenpo.com/

He is located about an hour from you in Westminster area, however I was told recently that he has a school in south Baltimore as well, which would be closer to you, maybe 30 min, right?

If you give him a call, he can at least make some recommendations. Nice guy.

He teaches AKKI Kenpo, and actually has a student who was pretty heavy into Krav for a while. He also as an MMA program and some successful local fighters, so he is pretty aware of programs throughout the area.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In College Park, there's United Martial Arts. It's a small place just off of the UMD campus. My best friend went there throughout campus. They claim to teach a lot of different styles. Make of that what you will. But he was pleased with the kickboxing curriculum, which was analogous to muay thai. The owner is a former member of the military in Southeast Asia. And my friend (a stickler for realism) was happy with it.

Near Annapolis , a former high school classmate of mine (I grew up there) has a BJJ school. http://www.completejiujitsu.com/ Worth checking out as well.

My own background is mostly eskrima. I got my black belt through the Patalinghug family (http://www.kickconnection.com/) in Pasadena, MD, about 15 minutes outside of Annapolis.

I used to train in Columbia, as well. JKD-based kickboxing. But last I heard, my teacher there wasn't teaching publically anymore.

Stuart

Latest Discussions