Having trouble finding a school

My first eskrima school is also about 10 minutes outside of Annapolis, in Pasadena. But I'm not sure it really fits your "WW2 combatives" angle very well. Just thought I'd mention it though.

I may have to give up on theWorld War II combatives for awhile, although I practice the little I know. What is the name of the school in Pasadena?

Dennis Brown has an excellent reputation as a Chinese martial arts instructor; I'd definitely investigate his school.

You've also apparently limited yourself to what you can find on the web business listings. I know for a fact that there are several less commercial schools in the general area; you'll have to hunt a little more for them. Your "shopping list" is very specific, and you probably won't find anything that matches it exactly. (I wonder how you developed it...) As others have suggested -- drop the list, and visit the schools. Give an honest try to one that seems like it's got a positive atmosphere.

I wouldn't do well at wushu, it wouldn't work for me, but thanks anyway. Hey, I've got one school to definitely check out, and one is all that is needed.

I'm puzzled that there arn't more systems based on the World War II methods of Fairbairn-Applegate as they have been time tested techniques that do work.

It is referred to as the defendu curse. Because the WWII combatives courses were intentionally designed to be short term instruction, an instructor has a hard time making a living off of them. Once you begin to add in a bunch of additional techniques to satisfy your students desires to learn more, you water down the basis. Also not much in the use of force continum in the FAS styles. Defending against your drunken uncle with a chinjab and knee to groin might be considered overkill.

I may have to give up on theWorld War II combatives for awhile, although I practice the little I know. What is the name of the school in Pasadena?

Kick Connection. (www.kickconnection.com)

They teach taekwondo and Doce Pares Eskrima. I was only in the eskrima program (having done taekwondo elsewhere). They opened up in 1989, so they're well established.

That said, I don't know whether their approach would suit you or no. But it's close enough to be well worth having a look.

Tell 'em Stuart sent you. (Won't get you a discount. But it might get you a "how is Stuart then?" to which you'll be able to respond "haven't the slightest idea.") :D

Stuart

It is referred to as the defendu curse. Because the WWII combatives courses were intentionally designed to be short term instruction, an instructor has a hard time making a living off of them. Once you begin to add in a bunch of additional techniques to satisfy your students desires to learn more, you water down the basis. Also not much in the use of force continum in the FAS styles. Defending against your drunken uncle with a chinjab and knee to groin might be considered overkill.

Well, there really are fine systems like American Combato and John Perkins "Attack Proof" that use a lot of Fairbairn-Applegate techniques. The problem for me is they are both to far away for me to go to, I did go to one of those schools, got a lot out of it. Unfortunately I moved, my wife has to live in this area we moved to for her job and I have to live with her and want to of course.

Dennis Brown has an excellent reputation as a Chinese martial arts instructor; I'd definitely investigate his school.

You've also apparently limited yourself to what you can find on the web business listings. I know for a fact that there are several less commercial schools in the general area; you'll have to hunt a little more for them. Your "shopping list" is very specific, and you probably won't find anything that matches it exactly. (I wonder how you developed it...) As others have suggested -- drop the list, and visit the schools. Give an honest try to one that seems like it's got a positive atmosphere.

I decided to email the Dennis Brown school based on your recommendation. I tried traditional Kung Fu once and found myself tripping over myself a lot. I figure its at least worth checking out, and one of the schools is very close to where I live. Thanks again.

Well, there really are fine systems like American Combato and John Perkins "Attack Proof" that use a lot of Fairbairn-Applegate techniques. The problem for me is they are both to far away for me to go to, I did go to one of those schools, got a lot out of it. Unfortunately I moved, my wife has to live in this area we moved to for her job and I have to live with her and want to of course.

"Although every method described in the following pages is practicable-and so proved by the author and his students by years of expereince, it is not essential to master them all. I suggest that at first you select about ten which, for reasons of your height, weight, build, etc., seem most suitable and specialize in mastering them thoroughly" From the preface of Get Tough! by W.E. Fairbairn 1942.

Again the problem is there are not a lot of FAS techniques to work from. The systems were intentionally pared down to the fewest possible techniques. If you compare Fairbairn's Get Tough! to his earlier works, there is a distinct lack of restraining techniques, only showing one or two(if you consider a headlock to be a holding technique). If you have read the Silent Killing course syllabus(attributed to sykes), there are even less techniques than in Get Tough!, along with explanations as to why the techniques that have been removed were removed.

To add more techniques back in is counter intuitive to the intent of the FAS system.

Latest Discussions

Back