School Spankings

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey, I don't consider that to be corporal punishment. She did not cause the child to suffer pain, she used psychology. The cupped hand on diapered bottom made a big noise that startled the child. Well done Mom. A judicious use of one well placed "swat" when all else had failed and the consequences of not disciplining the child were dire. I find this appropriate as well. Now if Mom had backhanded the child, I'd have issues with that.
Lori M

And yet... other people in the courtyard were yelling at her for hitting her child; one threatened to call social services and report her for abuse. A big part of the problem, as I see it, is that in a laudable effort to prevent abuse, a large selection of discipline tools have been taken away from parents. Do I think children should be beaten with switches, or belts, or hairbrushes? No... but there are times when a swift swat - as I described previously and sometimes harder, depending on the circumstances (usually involving safety of the child or others) is appropriate.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
And yet... other people in the courtyard were yelling at her for hitting her child; one threatened to call social services and report her for abuse. A big part of the problem, as I see it, is that in a laudable effort to prevent abuse, a large selection of discipline tools have been taken away from parents. Do I think children should be beaten with switches, or belts, or hairbrushes? No... but there are times when a swift swat - as I described previously and sometimes harder, depending on the circumstances (usually involving safety of the child or others) is appropriate.

A swift swat, "a" meaning one open hand to padded bottom, enough to add punctuation or startle I'm fine with. Repeated swats become more about the parents frustration and lack of parenting skills than concern for the welfare of the child. I think the application of not-so-common-anymore sense would go a long way to clearing up what is and what is not appropriate.
Lori M

Latest Discussions