Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of the scenarios we do are simply escapes. And you don't always succeed.

An example of a fight prep drill we use.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/75-mma/113976-mother-all-drills.html

I suppose it's just like the English language. Take the following words: There, Their, They're. They're all pronounced the same, yet they all have a different meaning. So, that said, what you describe could be a scenario, just not in the sense of the meaning that many, including the OP, are referring to. My empty hand Kenpo SD techs, can be scenarios, but really, they're not, at least not in the fashion, again, that the OP is talking about.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
But then sparring would teach different skills to scenarios. You might even need both in whatever system you train.

The thing is if you are too easy then you fall in to that compliant drill trap. It becomes larp.

As I said in another post...it all depends on the focus. Different things, have different meanings.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
People who train with good role players.

You're STILL missing the point though. If the badguy in the scenario drill, is a dick 100% of the time, nevermind...why bother? You're set in your ways, and no matter what anyone else says, you're never going to accept anything else.

What're you saying? That in order to be a good role player, the guy has to be an *** each and every time?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They are not potatoes I am pretty sure they can sing out if we are training something they are not allowed to use.

Sooooo....rather than have them 'sing out', why not have an understanding of what they can/can't do beforehand, and then only focus on said things? Seems counter productive to start showing them a double leg takedown, when we all know damn well, that is pointless to the LEO.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sooooo....rather than have them 'sing out', why not have an understanding of what they can/can't do beforehand, and then only focus on said things? Seems counter productive to start showing them a double leg takedown, when we all know damn well, that is pointless to the LEO.

Because?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're STILL missing the point though. If the badguy in the scenario drill, is a dick 100% of the time, nevermind...why bother? You're set in your ways, and no matter what anyone else says, you're never going to accept anything else.

What're you saying? That in order to be a good role player, the guy has to be an *** each and every time?

No you can train to defend against that reasonable person who will give you an even break if you want.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suppose it's just like the English language. Take the following words: There, Their, They're. They're all pronounced the same, yet they all have a different meaning. So, that said, what you describe could be a scenario, just not in the sense of the meaning that many, including the OP, are referring to. My empty hand Kenpo SD techs, can be scenarios, but really, they're not, at least not in the fashion, again, that the OP is talking about.

Yeah you are talking more about this sort of stuff which is good to do if people have there basic technique down and are not relying on a bit of role play from the bad guy for it to work.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F1KQKF6GfqY

"Oh help I have been tripped over by the officer!"

Vs reality.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=egPDYeQW-AI

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Are you asking me why I said what I did? Because the job of a LEO, CO, etc, isn't to trade blows with the suspect.

Seriously, you're asking these questions? I mean, do you really not know, or are you trolling?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No you can train to defend against that reasonable person who will give you an even break if you want.

Oh, ok...so if you were in the role of the bad guy, you'd give the defender an even break? Really? After you, in another post, said that you always fight.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah you are talking more about this sort of stuff which is good to do if people have there basic technique down and are not relying on a bit of role play from the bad guy for it to work.

Vs reality.

Check out stuff by guys like Peyton Quinn. THAT is the role playing scenario drilling stuff the OP is talking about. Since you like to use YT as the Bible, I'll let you do your own digging. :)

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Vs reality.

Yep, reality is messier than a scenario. That's been freely admitted.

Let's look at the scenario: What was the point of the exercise? Was it a DT simulation, or were the role players pretty much going to submit to the recruit officer's with minimal resistance because the point of the exercise was to see if the recruits would treat everyone according to a certain standard? "We challenge them to see if they'll look outside and show respect to everyone." So, yeah, the one take down shown wasn't the best, and there's a good chance more might have been needed if the role player was really fighting it. But that wasn't the goal of the training exercise... Sure, the role players could have been asshats about it, and fought and resisted (and probably do in other exercises) -- but then they wouldn't be working within the context of that scenario. (I rather suspect that had the recruit in question given the guy a bit more time, he'd have gotten on the ground in response to verbal commands alone.) So, we have a scenario with a very particular goal, and the role players did their job, allowing the training staff to assess the recruits performance in meeting that goal.

Now... the real situation. I've got several problems with how it was handled, that I'm not going into at length, and I hope that the officers have reviewed this and addressed some of these concerns. I routinely debrief and reassess how things went down -- especially if it didn't go according to plan. But it was the real world, and not a scenario. (As an aside... have you ever tried to wrestle a naked person? It ain't as easy as you might think.)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How about a scenario training like this.

- You attack me, I move back.
- You attack me the 2nd time, I will move back again.
- You attack me the 3rd time, I will still move back again.
- As soon as I have detected that you have intention to attack me the 4th time, I'll jump in and eat you alive.

It's not proper to always think that someone will always attack you. In the above scenario, you will have to play as an attacker.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Vs reality.

Do you even understand what the hat video is about? You have posted it twice it has nothing to do with fighting. It's about showing people a little respect to get them on your side.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you even understand what the hat video is about? You have posted it twice it has nothing to do with fighting. It's about showing people a little respect to get them on your side.

Which is my point that combat scenarios taken too lightly can have nothing to do with fighting.

Regardless of the point of that scenario he still could have done that throw right.

Why not?

He was doing it anyway.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which is my point that combat scenarios taken too lightly can have nothing to do with fighting.

Regardless of the point of that scenario he still could have done that throw right.

Why not?

He was doing it anyway.

It had nothing to do with combat or the throw.
It also wasn't scenario training. It was acting to show a point for a police academy class

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It had nothing to do with combat or the throw.
It also wasn't scenario training. It was acting to show a point for a police academy class

Then you show some scenario trading.

Because you are a bit unbelievable at the moment.

Why is everything super secret with you guys?

Latest Discussions