Relaxed Vs. Tense Reaction in SD Scenario--How to Cope?

drewtoby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have been pondering this recently as my teacher is currently teaching at a slow and relaxed pace to allow us to understand the concepts behind our throws and locks. Locking/throwing a relaxed partner can be a pain which forces us to rely on technique. After a few weeks of training I was shocked to see how much my understanding of footwork and fine detail increased. I went onto Youtube the other day to look at techniques from other arts (to compare similarities) and was shocked to see that I could understand the concepts/footwork in the majority of the videos!

Problem is, I am an intense person and have a hard time training so relaxed. I believe that in a real SD scenario I would "loose my cool" (not temper, but I am not sure of another way to word this) faster than others if I need to fight or flee. This is great if I need to strike or run (especially when coupled with my good endurance), but horrible if I need my fine motor skills to perform a lock, escape, or what not.

I want to borrow the knowledge of those on here who have been in real SD scenarios to discuss which reactions are best in a real life scenario, how to calm down enough if needed, and if fine motor skills (for locks and throws) would really be needed in the majority of scenarios of if striking (followed by fleeing) is usually the best route (when not grabbed). I have been lucky enough to not have needed to defend myself yet, although I have been too close for comfort in a few cases.

P.S.- I am not talking about "normal" muggings when it is usually best to be compliant, give what they want, and go separate ways. I feel there a relaxed response would be better so one could retain his or her reasoning and read the situation as it progresses. However, tips on how to remain relaxed in a scenario like this would be appreciated!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only answer is to get in a heap of situations until you are over it. Or don't worry about your emotional state should you get jumped. Because being attacked sucks and you probably won't be relaxed regardless of any visualisation and calming ritural you may try.

Relaxing in training is different. Because you are relying on repetition to learn a technique and you can't always do that fast if you want to do it right.

And nobody wants to drill with the spazzy submission guy.

I americanaed a guys arm off last weekend on the street. Had him screaming.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
^ relax can come with experience and confidence. As far as I know, looking from 'tense' people in the school, they all with time able to relax their body in the end.
Just keep practicing partner drill and eventually you'll reach that place, it just takes several years...
Sent from my RM-943_apac_indonesia_207 using Tapatalk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Best way to start might be to do some research on "physiology". It takes over when stuff hits the fan. While you aren't really capable of controlling an adrenal dump, recognizing what the body does sometimes helps dealing with it and utilizing it to some extent.

I don't really endorse that "normal" muggings when it is usually best to be compliant, give what they want, and go separate ways" attitude. There's a place for it, sure, and at times it will be the way to go. But it has to be tempered with the opposite. Kind of a Yin Yang thing I guess.

OP
D

drewtoby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't really endorse that "normal" muggings when it is usually best to be compliant, give what they want, and go separate ways" attitude. There's a place for it, sure, and at times it will be the way to go. But it has to be tempered with the opposite. Kind of a Yin Yang thing I guess.

I see no reason to fight off an armed aggressor who will leave you alone after you toss them your wallet. However, situational awareness will dictate everything in the end. Are there other armed aggressors around? Will my amount of cash satisfy him/her (I carry a fair amount for cases like this, so most likely yes for me)? Does he/she only want to come close to grab you?

Latest Discussions