Roundhouse kicks

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a question or 2 on roundhouses. I've heard 2 arguments from 2 friends of different styles, both with similar claims, but I'm still unsure on which way is best to hold your foot. One says, "kick with the top of your foot," while the other says, "kick with toes flexed (roughly ball of foot)." They both say you'll injure your foot the opposite way. My question is, which is THE best (realisticaly)? I know to do it the way my instructor says, but I'm curious...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The ball of the foot is not a roundhouse it is called a spin kick, a roundhouse is with the instep of the foot.
Terry

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
I have a question or 2 on roundhouses. I've heard 2 arguments from 2 friends of different styles, both with similar claims, but I'm still unsure on which way is best to hold your foot. One says, "kick with the top of your foot," while the other says, "kick with toes flexed (roughly ball of foot)." They both say you'll injure your foot the opposite way. My question is, which is THE best (realisticaly)? I know to do it the way my instructor says, but I'm curious...

It depends where and what you are kicking, IMO. Striking with the ball of the foot gives you more penetration (power) and perpendicular range (possibly enough to go through some blocks), whereas the instep is more forgiving of near misses. Personally, I feel that kicking with the ball is safer, but if i were kicking the thigh, I would use the top of the foot - groin and solar plexus, the ball. I actually consider them separate kicks rather than a different way of doing the same one.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. The ball of the foot's a smaller surface area, and offers superior penetration power. As long as your toes are up and your foot's tensed, you're not in much danger of injuring yourself. If you throw it floppy, you run the risk of messing up your knee as well as your ankle when you hit something solid.

Instep is a broader surface, and it gives you a few inches of extra distance. The downside of a broader surface is that you lose penetration power, and the instep tends to be more sensitive than the ball of the foot. (That can be conditioned tho.)

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
The ball of the foot is not a roundhouse it is called a spin kick, a roundhouse is with the instep of the foot.
Terry

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree here. Different schools, associations and styles use different names. I've heard both types called completely different names at different schools.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree here. Different schools, associations and styles use different names. I've heard both types called completely different names at different schools.

Mr randall I'm talking for me the way I was tought not trying to start conflict but the question is what way for us, so my answer is the way I was tought.
Terry
PS I have heard it called alot of things even a high kick from some.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Mr randall I'm talking for me the way I was tought not trying to start conflict but the question is what way for us, so my answer is the way I was tought.
Terry
PS I have heard it called alot of things even a high kick from some.

No problem - and I think it is important that you pointed out that they really are two different kicks. :asian:

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal the way I was explain it is called a spin kick for the ball of the foot is making contact and you use more of the leg than the hip to turn the kick. Atleast that is what I understand, about the only time I use the Ball of the foot is with a snap kick or a puish kick, to the goin or the stomach.
Terry

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Why is it called a spin kick?

I believe because it makes a half circle when thrown from the rear leg and the other way is often called a roundhouse to differentiate it. Again, it depends upon the group. My kickboxing coach called it a wheel kick and the instep roundhouse an inverted front kick (which, to complicate things further, refers to a very different kick in many Kenpo schools, IIRC).

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Striking with the ball of the foot properly is going to allow for a lot more damage, I don't think that's really arguable. The pressure delivered with the kick will be much greater. Let's say you deliver a force of 200 pounds...now deliver that with the instep and on me thats an area of about 10 sq. in. thats a pressure of 20 lbs/sq. in. If the ball of your foot is about 2 sq. in. and you deliver that force of 200 pounds, the pressure of your strike will be about 100 lbs/sq. in. That's five times the pressure by only changing the positioning of your foot. Obviously, the numbers I presented are not the same for everyone, I'm just guesstimating, but bust out a ruler and measure the striking surfaces and work it out for yourself.

Pressure = Force / Area

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok... This is where I'm getting slightly confused. Spinning kicks/ wheel kicks at my dojang, are where you turn your body around and execute the kick at the finish. Wheel kicks are you spin+ hook kick, and spinning kicks are you spin+ something (i.e. side kick).

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A roundhouse kick in our dojang is actually called a turning kick. If you kick with the ball or the instep, it's just a different way to do the same kick. In TSD, we called it a round kick, still the same kick (except we rarely kicked with the instep).

Anyways, for me, it depends what I'm doing. Breaking, ball of the foot. Sparring, instep (for saftey reasons), ect.

Just my experience, tho. Others may differ ;)

T

traz

I'd be weary using the ball of my foot unless I had shoes on. That could just be me though.

I was taught to use the instep anyways

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, with shoes, you are better off using the instep probably. Shoes can restrict the flexibility needed to pull the toes back for the proper foot positioning. The shoes also provide the extra protection over the instep that your body naturally lacks.

In some styles, they will kick with the toes, like a spearhand strike, and in others I've seen where they will pull the toes down and kick with the knuckles of the toes...

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I guess I'm the lone person on this one, at both schools I have attended, roundhouse kicks you smack with the top of the foot. Foot is pointed and you hit your target with the top of it. :)

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Like others have said, I have been taught both kicks and which one you use depends on the application.

I was also told that the ball of the foot was the original way of doing it, and the instep version was developed because it was easier and safer for sparring.

I rarely work on the ball of the foot version. If it comes down to doing the kick with shoes on I would kick with the toes, instep, or shin, depending on how sturdy the shoes are. Even with my wrestling shoes, I think it would be to hard to bend my toes back enought to use the ball.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Marginal the way I was explain it is called a spin kick for the ball of the foot is making contact and you use more of the leg than the hip to turn the kick. Atleast that is what I understand, about the only time I use the Ball of the foot is with a snap kick or a puish kick, to the goin or the stomach.
Terry

Interesting since the terminology's not too far removed from what we call it, side turning kick. (Which never made a whole lot of sense to me.) Though I don't agree with the more leg aspect though. I've always found that I tend to bounce off boards without cranking the hips.

I mainly use ball of the foot for breaking and during floor drills. Beats conditioning my instep, and I get more bang for the buck (such as it is.) Not as good an idea to throw it on a heavybag vs the instep kick since it's harder on the joints. Since I use it more than the instep, I'm betting it'd be more likely to come out in other situations.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've only tried doing the roundhouse using the ball of the feet a few times as it seems to require more precise distance measurement...bu then maybe that's because I don't practice it...

Latest Discussions