Three Steps??

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen talkings of three steps but I have only done one steps.
What are three steps (well I know they are similar to 1 steps but that is it)?
Anyone know where I can find the drills for these?
If there is a thread on it could someone point me into the right direction? I tried doing a search but came up empty handed.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have a couple three steps, just like in one-step sparring, a single attack and a response, except now there are 3 attacks...

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Our three steps are just kicking combinations. they are used to teach and practice foot placement between techniques, so we can get the second and third kick off faster.

Most of our one-steps include multiple counter techniques, but they are against a one attack, so they are called one steps. Even the higher ones that are defense against double or triple punch and punch and kick combinations, are still called one steps.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What you consider to be three-steps will depend on the federation your class belongs to (or belonged to) and the variations that exist within it. From the Encyclopedia of TaeKwon-Do, written by Gen. Choi (one of the original Kwans, and founder of the ITF branch - which variant came first is a political discussion I won't start here), there is a sequence that step sparring goes through (this is going to be VERY abbreviated):

3 step sparring
attacker performs 3 identical attacks, stepping/attacking right, then left, then right again, moving forward. Defender performs 3 identical blocks, moving backward; delivers 1 counter at the end of the sequence, thereby "winning". At it's most basic, the attacker delivers 3 middle obverse punches, the defender blocks with 3 middle obverse inner forearm blocks, and then "wins" with a reverse punch. The primary purpose is to learn distancing. Learned and demonstrated by white and yellow belts.
2 step sparring

Defender requests 2 (usually different) attacks, specifying technique, height and tool. Attacker attacks using those techniques; defender blocks, then counters ("wins") using technique(s) of choice. The primary purpose is to learn how to apply different techniques to different targets. Learned and demonstrated by green and low blue belts.

1 step sparring
Defender requests 1 attack, specifying technique, height and tool. Attacker attacks; defender blocks and counter attacks. The primary purpose is to learn single-strike techniques. Learned and demonstrated by blue and red belts.

Pre-arranged sparring
With a partner, create a 6-8 movement (per person, so 12-18 total movements) set of attack, defend, counter attack, counter defense. The primary purpose is to learn to attack, block, and counter in moving sequence. Learned and demonstrated by red and black belts.
Model 1 step
Uses the same rules as 1 step, except that all techniques must be repeated at half-speed, for technical proficiency and accuracy. No jump kicking allowed (unless you can do a slow motion jump kick:)... in which case, I want to watch and learn!). The primary purpose is to be able to perform all techniques correctly and demonstrate them with technical proficiency. Learned and demonstrated by high red and black belts.
Semi-free sparring
Performed in 2 and 3 step variations. Partners face in L-stance (back stance, fighting stance, whatever you call it); Partner 1 kihaps (yells) and attacks, using any technique. Partner 2 blocks and then attacks using same tool (same meaning either hand or foot). Partner 1 blocks, then attacks using other tool; Partner 2 blocks, counters using same tool. 3 step is the same except that there is a third exchange (tool can be anything). The primary purpose is to be able to respond to less predictable attacks. Learned and performed by red and black belts.
Foot sparring
Follows the same rules as prearranged, except that all techniques must be with the feet. The primary purpose is to be able to attack and block with the feet and legs. Learned and performed by black belts (III Dan and up).
Free sparring
According to the original sequence, free sparring is performed only by seniors. However, free sparring generally begins at white belt and continues all the way up. The primary purpose is to learn to defend yourself in a moving, changing, unpredictable environment.
This is a very brief description of the varieties of step-sparring available for TKD. It is not intended to be technically accurate (although I did try not to allow errors... but it's been a long day, and I didn't go get my Encyclopedia) and there could easily be mistakes - but as a general overview, I hope it helped explain what step sparring is for, and who learns it where in the progression.

Some classes/organizations teach the rules for step sparring and let their students create their own combinations - that's what we do, and I think it forces the students to understand what they're doing, how to apply various techniques, what will and won't work, etc. Others teach preset combinations, usually numbered, and don't teach the rules to make up their own. Some don't teach step sparring at all, or only teach parts of it. Personally, step sparring is one of my favorite parts, but I know a lot of people who don't like the nit-picky nature of some of the rules.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Another way to look at the variations of step-sparring is to separate the categories of pre-arranged, semi-free, and free sparring. Most beginner students are taught the basic one-step concept where they face each other in a basic "junbi" (ready stance). The "attacker" moves their right foot back to form a left front stance, left low block, and signals with "kihap." The defender signals the attacker with a kihap, and the attacker advances forward to a right front stance, right hand middle section punch. This punch is blocked, or evaded by the defender, and then one or more counter-attacks are thrown while the attacker remains still. Some instructors have students practice "one-step sparring" on both left and right side, so the same defenses are repeated for a left hand attack.

If the counter-attacks are "pre-arranged," and taught by the instructor, then this is basic one-step sparring. Advanced ranks would learn more difficult techniques to demonstrate. If the student is allowed to improvise their response, or to alter the attacker's punch to another type of attack, then it is considered "semi-free one-step sparring." If the attacker is allowed to choose a different attack without notice to defender, and defender may respond with any brief counter measure, then this is "one-step free-sparring." All of these basic versions contain only one attack followed by a block, or evasion, and one or more counter-attacks.

To advance these concepts to "two-step," and "three-step" sparring, you simply add additional attacks. For basic two-step sparring, the attacker advances with the first right front stance and right hand punch, the defender blocks, and the attacker immediately advances with a left front stance and a left hand punch. For three-step sparring, a third punch is added with the right hand in a right front stance. Upon the defender's signal, the attacker is essentially walking forward with three front stances, and three middle section punches (right, then left, then right).

The defender may use the same block on all three attacks, or the blocks may be different (IE: Outer forearm side block, Inward body block, and a palm block). The counter attack may be a single technique, but usually consists of at least three to five, and sometimes involves takedowns such as sweeps, and leg reaps (a verbal warning is usually given to the attacker to notify them of a takedown to avoid injury). An instructor might choose to teach a set number of one-steps for each rank level for promotion test purposes, and may include pre-arranged two-step or three-step sparring for advanced students. Senior ranks and black belts might be allowed to improvise their responses rather than using pre-arranged counter-attacks.

Other schools might define these differently, or teach each of them at different levels, but this is how we do it.

Sr. Master Eisenhart

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Really great Info you guys..thanks!!!!
I will print this out.
:)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Several good responses in this thread. I would only add that generally beginner students learn three step sparring and more advanced students do one step sparring. Generally three steps are pre-arranged and the students doing one-steps get more creative.

Miles

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would also have to agree with all the previous post, most school have there own set of pre-arrange movement to help with footwork and response time in countering your opponet.
I hope you are able to get your info. from all this great advise.
Terry

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the school I go to, the 3- steps are as said before: step/punch x3. The only difference is, we use various blocks and counter with something. Now we're expected to do takedowns in 3 step sparring (at least a part of them).

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now we're expected to do takedowns in 3 step sparring (at least a part of them).
when I was in TKD we started useing takedowns at this stage of learning also
I think the explanations given of 1, 2, an 3 step spaing have been great

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Again, as cited above, many good responses. While I will not say "most schools", I will say our school uses the three step combination as previously described with 3 identical attacks countered by 3 blocks and a counter on the final attack. Unlike other descriptions, it is used after basic one-steps are learned. The only 'pre-defined' movement we use is a default attack, high punch to the head, used when first learning. After that, students are encouraged to develop responses on the fly.After they are comfortable, they are introduced to more variations, including 3 steps.