Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ROAD WARRIOR HAWK PASSES AWAY

by Georgiann Makropoulos Updated: 10/19/2003 1:03:22 PM

It is with a very heavy heart that I tell you that Hawk of the Road Warriors has passed away in his sleep at 1:30 this morning.

Hawk was born on January 26th, not sure of the year but I believe he turned 46 years old. His real name was Michael Hegstrand.

Mike had everything going for him right now.

He just sold his Condo to move today into his new home in Tampa, Florida. His wife Dale said "he was going to lay down for a while, he didn't feel well." She thought it was from all the packing and excitement of the move into their new home.

As soon as I find out further details I will post them here for you.

I want to convey my deepest sympathy and condolences to Dale and Mike's family, friends and fans, and especially Animal (Joe). This one has really hit home hard. I am totally at a loss for words.

If anyone would like to send a note to Dale, please e-mail them to me and I will see that she receives them. I don't even have the new address yet, so this is the easiest way. <[email protected]>

Hawk and Animal were perhaps one of the most successful and feared Tag Teams ever on the wrestling scene. Joseph Laurinaitis (Animal) is totally devastated. We should hear from him soon.

They were first known as the Legion of Doom. Those spiked shoulder pads were so intimidating.

In Chicago, they just celebrated their 20th Anniversary on June 7th @ the Pro Championship Wrestling show, where they were reunited with Paul Ellering.

And it's official, The Road Warriors were just voted the Dream Team by the fans of the WWE RAW Magazine Poll. The Magazine is now on the Newsstands, it is the November issue.

It is a very sad day, today.

More info on http://www.1wrestling.com (Note-Have your popup blocker running)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From 1Wrestling.com
FLORIDA CHANNEL 9 PICKS UP ROAD WARRIOR HAWK STORY

by Mike Johnson Updated: 10/20/2003 6:12:50 PM

The passing of Michael Hegstrand, professionally known as Road Warrior Hawk, was covered by Tampa Bay, Florida channel 9.

The station reported that Hegstrand had developed a heart condition called Cardiomyopathy (an enlargement of the heart) several years back but was able to return to the ring. Hawk suffered from cardiac issues during a summer 2001 tour of Australia promoted by Andrew McManus.

The station also noted that Hegstrand had become a born-again Christian and was working regularly on events headed by Ted DiBiase with religious themes.

Hegstrand passed away early Sunday morning in his sleep. A cause of death has not been determined.

News Story: http://www.baynews9.com/site/NewsStory.cfm?storyid=26432
Well-known professional wrestler and Bay area resident Mike Hegstrand passes awayMonday, October 20th

Hegstrand visited the Bay News 9 studios in August.
The world of professional wrestling is mourning death of one of its veteran performers.

Pinellas County resident Mike Hegstrand – who was one half of a popular tag-team known as the ‘Road Warriors’ - passed away in his sleep early Sunday morning he was 46. Cause of death has not been determined.

Several years ago Hegstrand developed a heart condition called Cardiomyopathy and had recently worked his way back to the ring. Back in the 1980s Hegstrand, who went by the name ‘Hawk’ when he wrestled, teamed with partner Joe Laurinatis to form one of the most dominant tag-teams in pro wrestling history.

Hegstrand, who appeared on the Sports Connection with Rock Riley in August, was a born-again Christian. He had recently worked with wrestler-turned-evangelist Ted DiBiase on several wrestling-themed religious events.

Official WebSite: http://www.roadwarriorsinc.com/HomePage.html

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
he was a nice guy I met him a few times when he came to town and did indepented wrestling shows he was realy nice I have a pic some wear of me hawk and ahmead johnson

it is sad he was going to be in detriot for a show on nov 14
hawk we miss u

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
'Hawk' had his problems at one point but was able to turn his life around...gotta respect that. Wrestling is one wild way to make a living, I know from personal experience.

One of the best things about hawk was his interviews:
"There are two types of people in this world.
Weasels...and weasel slappers. And WE are weasel SLAPPERS"!

"If you think your ever gonna beat the road warriors - your nuts.
But we're nuts-er"!

This year the 'Cauliflower Alley Club' will ring the bell 10 times in salute to all who have passed on from the business - and one will be for Mike Hegstrand.

Oh 'what a rush' it was to see them do their thing.
Rest in peace, Road Warrior Hawk.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
:wah: I Heard This Last night on Raw
& started to Cry(not Realy my thing to do)

My Wife was puzzeld. I told Her Road Warrior Hawk
Died. She still had no clue so i pulled out some 80's
Wrestling Mags & showed Her a Pic.

The Road Warriors Were Awsome & Hawk
Was a Great entertainer.

I Grew up Watching Them & Still Think They
were one of the Best Tag Teams.

45 is not old The Pro Wrestling World
has lost one of the Greatist.

I hope He's Raising Hell in Heavan
& i send a last salute to Him

Ooooooooooo What a Rush!

May God Bless His Family.

P

pknox

That really is a shame. I remember Hawk and Animal, and always thought they were pretty cool (I always wondered where I could get a pair of those shoulder pads with the spikes.) My condolences go out to his family.

Does anyone know if the WWE is planning on doing anything about this? I haven't heard anything mentioned, but I have missed the last few telecasts.

ABN

Green Belt
Reaction score
According to one of my young PFC's who is working with me today, Hawk was mentioned and given the "In Memoriam" picture, tribute, and sound byte by Jim Ross on Monday's WWE Raw.

andy

P

pknox

Good. Unfortunately I missed it, but I'm glad to see they mentioned it.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i was fortunate enough to see the road warriors live some months ago at a smackdown! event in Philly. i don't think the match was televised, and hawk and animal were showing their age quite a bit, but it was still a treat.

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No - that was a 'blackout' match. To see how they would do to see if they could fit in to the present WWE hype.
Wish I could have seen it.
20 years in the game is a long time - even for 'The Legends'.
I hope that Joe/Animal can find a niche in the business...and do it for as long as he cares to.

Latest Discussions