Fishing for support...

Taiji_Mantis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey.
I am 36 years old.
About 20lbs overweight.
Have horrendous shin splints...
I haven't actively competed or even trained since 2003.

Last week when my kids were at wushu class I was talking with their coach. He mentioned a tournament in two weeks. I got inspired while working with my children.

I am competing next Saturday in the forms division. Aye yae yae! What the hell am I thinking?!?!?
It has been a lot of fun to be able to bond with my children though, so win or lose, this time with my kids is worth it!

Tell me though... am I out of my mind or what?!?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you're going there to beat everyone else who has been training specifically for this event, then yes, you're probably a little delusional.

If you're doing it for fun, then it depends on how you react to it. If you have fun you've done what you've accomplished.

If you're doing it as a shared activity with your children, a chance to make your world and theirs a little closer and to incidentally teach them something then you will succeed if you go through with it. If you do not you will have failed.

That's the logic.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you out of your mind no, go out and have fun. Remember we as parents need to help set great example for our kids.

OP
T

Taiji_Mantis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Gotta do it!
its the only way I will convince my wife to let me bring the 8 year old to jiu jitsu class! LOL!

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey.
I am 36 years old.
About 20lbs overweight.

Last week when my kids were at wushu class I was talking with their coach. He mentioned a tournament in two weeks. I got inspired while working with my children.

I am competing next Saturday in the forms division. Aye yae yae! What the hell am I thinking?!?!?
It has been a lot of fun to be able to bond with my children though, so win or lose, this time with my kids is worth it!

You are not out of your mind to want to make martial arts a family activity, in fact it makes you stronger both as a father and as a martial artist. I spend a huge amount of time as taxi driver/equpment manager/banker/gofer/ advisor/sports trainer for my 2 girls in karate classes - - - to the point where I don't get to many classes at all myself. They're only kids once!

I can't judge you one way or the other for going to a tournament. Myself, as an elder I stick now to my arts of Tai Chi/Qi Gong.... I feel no temptation to spar 20 year old shodans. I hope you do not get hurt or stand out as being unprepared - those would be perhaps sending the wrong messages. Then again, you may win and rekindle a fire that will inspire the whole place.

I wish you the best, these are calls every good dad has to make for himself.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey.
I am 36 years old.
About 20lbs overweight.

Nope - the bolded part of your post proves that. Remember that when you're competing, you are showing what you know, and comparing yourself to others of similar rank, so that you can improve. It's like testing in that way - but the worst thing that can happen in patterns competition is that you lose, which is not failure - it just points out how you can change (hopefully for the better), by comparing your performance to the winner's.

Besides, you're going to be there for your kids anyway - might as well compete and see what happens! And think what a great experience it will be for all of you.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can say for myself that I am not a competitive personality. I accept that about myself, even though it is contrary to my Way, the TKD, in that regard I do not fit well. I have never been to a tournament because I wished to be there, only to support my school or whoever's school was hosting them. I find little joy out of it.

Now, you say that you spend this time with your children. That is a great thing. Even if you lose the competition, you win, don't you, if you enjoy yourself, and your time with the children!

The freesparring of course, is different, you must be ready to get in there and give and take, that is the nature of that, but forms, you compete against yourself, that is how I see it. Win or lose, you show up, and present your form. Of course, again, I tend to not appreciate competition, so take it for what it is worth. In this day in age, especially, I say ANY quality time spent with your children is well spent, good for you.

Just be sure to show good wushu.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's nice to see a parent dive right in their kids' activities. I've seen so many parents coach from the bleachers (in a number of activities) only to negatively impact their kids' training/self esteem/etc. They live vicariously through their children.

What you're doing is setting an example for your child, stating that the pursuit of fun/enjoyment/sportsmanship/etc. is a lifelong endeavor.

I remember picking up racquetball (not an MA, but definitely great for MA-styled timing IMHO) as a youngster w/ my dad. I ended up competing throughout high school and found myself not only respecting my father for what he taught me through sports, but found a friend and training partner in him as well.

Go for it! Your kids will have a great experience and/or story about their dad.

BTW, I found that Dr. Scholl's inserts works really well for shin splints, along with regular walking/jogging.

Dagney Taggert

Green Belt
Reaction score
You MUST to this.

Years ago, my Dad had a mild scare at his doctors appointment. His cholesterol was high, he was a little overweight, fill in the blanks. So he started running. Then hiking. Then mountain biking. Then he decided to day hike the Grand Canyon. Then he decided to day hike Mount Whitney.

AND then he finally convinced my Mom to go. Then my sister and I started hiking. Since then, my parents have day hiked the GC and Mt Whitney, hiked Kilamanjaro, part of Aconcogua, they have walked the Camino de Santiago in Spain.

I have run 4 marathons, competed in 3 BJJ tourneys, mountain biked some of the greatest trails in country....I could go on.....

One little step out the door in a cruddy pair of running shoes by an "out of shape" late 30's male has inspired a minor movement in my family.

Compete.

Dagney

OP
T

Taiji_Mantis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What you're doing is setting an example for your child, stating that the pursuit of fun/enjoyment/sportsmanship/etc. is a lifelong endeavor.

You know, Since I have not competed in five years, what I was really hoping for here was just someone to tell me to have fun, and not worry about making an idiot out of myself--and I got that. Thank you! What I didn't hope for or expect, was the little jewel I quoted up there...
Setting an example.

My eight year old has to win at everything. So does my seven year old. Seeing the old man walk away empty handed with nothing but a big smile to show for it may be just the thing!!!

As for the sparring, I never enjoyed the "point" fighting anyway, and thus I don't fight in a way that would make me very successful in that type of event (they tend to frown on elbows, knees and shoulder-pins if I recall). That being said, with the age my children are (the oldest was ten, and they go all the way down to 18 months), seeing their dad get hit may be scary to them, and I wouldn't subject them to that just yet! Maybe when I am 50!

Thanks for this response everyone. I went into this because I hadnt competed in a long time and thought I was crazy to start again out of the blue... but now I see other opportunities I hadnt even thought of!

OP
T

Taiji_Mantis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
They live vicariously through their children.

Oh, and dont you think I wont be too!!! :)
My daughter seems to have an aptitude, so I am looking forward to watching her career...

Not at the expense of fun though. I have never, and will never ask them to pursue something they don't enjoy. It was done to me, and I wont repeat that!

C

OP
T

Taiji_Mantis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well it came and went.
I tied for second... I saw my kids watching me and smiling and thought "how cool is this!?!?"

I made up something for the tiebreaker, since I only practiced one form and went home with third place. Not bad I guess!

I think I will shoot for another in October. Im going to get out my spear now, and my oldest wants to try to compete in a local event for kids... unfortunately it is the same day my wife is due. :(

All in all, I went out, I felt great, and I got to bond with my kids! What a terrific time my two girls and I had, even though my four year old was terrified of the heights in the bleachers! My son was not allowed to go due to a temper tantrum he threw during the week. I haven't seen smiles on those girls that big in a long time (their coach took first, and one of their classmates second) ! I will post some pix of my kids and me later :)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like a great day - all you could have hoped for and more!

By the way - in all the tournaments I've been to, it's okay to repeat the same form in a tiebreaker (although your rules may be different).

And what do you mean by using your wife's due date as a reason to not compete? :idunno: Just kidding, of course - and congratulations!

OP
T

Taiji_Mantis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks... Yeah in these local events they like to see something different.