Review of jiu jitsu class

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So had my class and it was enjoyable. We started off with a basic warm up running round and press ups etc, then did some shrimping and butt scoots then moved onto the techique. Everything we did in that class was from half guard. We practiced a sweep and what to do if someone blocks the sweep, also how to defend if someone goes for a choke (can't actually remember how but meh can't remember everything) we practiced a collar choke and how to pass from half guard to mount using the gable grip and tripod move to get to mount.

Then we did specific rolling where 4 people started In the centre of the mat and they got fresh people to roll with for 4 minutes at a time and all started from half guard but could work into anything.

I did alright I think, I didn't win any rolls but I nevrr got destroyed either I held my own at least and only got tapped out once to a rear naked choke but I got out positioned and swept a bunch of times. It was fun probably will go back again.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like a typical BJJ class. I'm not really used to the taking turns rolling though. Are they short on space to have everyone rolling around at the same time? Everyone has different moves for different things but the only tripod move I know is an open guard sweep.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a typical BJJ class. I'm not really used to the taking turns rolling though. Are they short on space to have everyone rolling around at the same time? Everyone has different moves for different things but the only tripod move I know is an open guard sweep.
It could be for the more experienced people, to wear them out and force them to continue rolling against fresh grapplers. I know in one of my kempo schools we would do that with kickboxing (two of my sensei happened to be kickboxers, so a bunch of us would cross train at the dojo if we wanted to compete), so people had to focus on conserving energy/putting up a fight while they're winded and the other one isnt.

Last edited:
OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not the biggest room ever but it's more of an endurance drill have a fresh guy to roll with the one in the centre and maybe I'm explaining it bad but it's where you put your forehead to the mat and bring your but up then push your feet in between there's to take the mount. I could be saying it awful here

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I get the point of the freshness but then everyone is just standing around when it's not their turn. I go to class to roll, but whatever... just different training styles.

I think I'm envisioning what you're saying about the tripod pass. Going from HG to mount is no small feat. I usually work to pass to side control but I feel more comfortable there than in mount. I think in a self-defense or MMA context I would prefer mount as it's a dominant position to strike from but I just get swept too damn much from it when I go for a choke or lock from it.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I get the point of the freshness but then everyone is just standing around when it's not their turn. I go to class to roll, but whatever... just different training styles.

I think I'm envisioning what you're saying about the tripod pass. Going from HG to mount is no small feat. I usually work to pass to side control but I feel more comfortable there than in mount. I think in a self-defense or MMA context I would prefer mount as it's a dominant position to strike from but I just get swept too damn much from it when I go for a choke or lock from it.
Sure but also don't forget it is just a beginners class so a lot of beginners won't have the endurance to roll for that long and they do have an open mat session for an hour before the class so you can roll as much as you want before class.

I don't know tbh I'm no way going to give any opinions about it lol it was good fun and I'll probably go back again but I doubt ill ever get past white belt.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

We us d to do a similar thing in wrestling; we called it shark bait - 4 guys, everyone picked a number. It would go 1 vs 2, then 1 vs 3, 1 vs 4, 2 vs 1, 2 vs 3, 2 vs 4, and so on. 2-3 minutes per round.

Depending on the day, the guys not on the mat would be doing stuff like push-ups, sit-ups, etc., or get a break. A 2 hour wrestling practice can't be all go go go.

If the class is a beginner's class, it's probably a short scheduled break. And I doubt there was only one guy in the middle with everyone else in the dojo watching, unless there were only 4 guys in class. Most likely had multiple groups doing the same thing. So if there's 16 people in class, 4 groups are doing this in their own mat space.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
We us d to do a similar thing in wrestling; we called it shark bait - 4 guys, everyone picked a number. It would go 1 vs 2, then 1 vs 3, 1 vs 4, 2 vs 1, 2 vs 3, 2 vs 4, and so on. 2-3 minutes per round.

Depending on the day, the guys not on the mat would be doing stuff like push-ups, sit-ups, etc., or get a break. A 2 hour wrestling practice can't be all go go go.

If the class is a beginner's class, it's probably a short scheduled break. And I doubt there was only one guy in the middle with everyone else in the dojo watching, unless there were only 4 guys in class. Most likely had multiple groups doing the same thing. So if there's 16 people in class, 4 groups are doing this in their own mat space.
Yeah that's what I meant there were 14 of us all together 4 guys who had to stay on but everyone else swapped in when one guy either tapped or lost position. Tbh I'm not to sure how it exactly works but I wasn't ever just standing round for a long time maybe at the most 2 minutes at a time

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I meant there were 14 of us all together 4 guys who had to stay on but everyone else swapped in when one guy either tapped or lost position. Tbh I'm not to sure how it exactly works but I wasn't ever just standing round for a long time maybe at the most 2 minutes at a time
We do that frequently with pass/sweep drills. The people in the middle have to keep going with fresh partners. Once all the folks on the outside of the mat have rotated through all the people in the center, then a new batch of students have to take the center spots.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
We do that frequently with pass/sweep drills. The people in the middle have to keep going with fresh partners. Once all the folks on the outside of the mat have rotated through all the people in the center, then a new batch of students have to take the center spots.
Yeah i think it's a regular thing there. Interesting thing about jiu jitsu it seems from what I've seen on here is most clubs follow the same or asimiliar structure where as other styles have totally different lesson plans

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah i think it's a regular thing there. Interesting thing about jiu jitsu it seems from what I've seen on here is most clubs follow the same or asimiliar structure where as other styles have totally different lesson plans
There's a reasonable amount of variation from school to school, but there are also a lot of common practices which you will get used to seeing if you visit different academies.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a reasonable amount of variation from school to school, but there are also a lot of common practices which you will get used to seeing if you visit different academies.
Well the area Im in there's only 2 place/ anyway....a Gracie Barra which is the one I went to and a Brazilian power team one. Mma and jiu jitsu isn't huge here as It is in other places they only have small shows maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I think the main promotion is rumble on the rock

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sometimes, you learn from watching. I'm hoping that those not involved in the exercise for the moment were watching -- and that maybe the instructors were pointing things out either during or after each period.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did alright I think, I didn't win any rolls but I nevrr got destroyed either I held my own at least and only got tapped out once to a rear naked choke but I got out positioned and swept a bunch of times. It was fun probably will go back again.
Precisely my experience with BJJ class when I first did it. Almost exactly the same. I found out that something I was doing in rolling was leaving me open to being caught in triangle chokes by those slippery buggers (the BJJ guys), my judo was good enough that I could keep them at bay but the moment I started to try to work for advantage I was taking my first steps down the path into their cave, i.e. where their personal monster lived. Same thing, rear-naked, tappity-tap.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes, you learn from watching. I'm hoping that those not involved in the exercise for the moment were watching -- and that maybe the instructors were pointing things out either during or after each period.

You do and that's what I do when I take a breather but you can watch anytime by just hopping on YouTube.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Precisely my experience with BJJ class when I first did it. Almost exactly the same. I found out that something I was doing in rolling was leaving me open to being caught in triangle chokes by those slippery buggers (the BJJ guys), my judo was good enough that I could keep them at bay but the moment I started to try to work for advantage I was taking my first steps down the path into their cave, i.e. where their personal monster lived. Same thing, rear-naked, tappity-tap.

Single arm guard passing?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You got it, Drop. Never even heard that was a problem until I started rolling with the BJJ crew. Well, it's not a problem any longer, at least I'm not making that particular set of mistakes any longer.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do and that's what I do when I take a breather but you can watch anytime by just hopping on YouTube.
But is your instructor there to point something out? I have my students watch each other spar. I invite their observations, and make points from each match to the others. It's one part of the training.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
But is your instructor there to point something out? I have my students watch each other spar. I invite their observations, and make points from each match to the others. It's one part of the training.

Not my instructor but there's some fantastically commented sparring out there by the likes of Keenan Cornelius, Marcelo Garcia, and the likes. As I said, I get it, you can get something out of watching people spar but it's really nothing like the live feedback of sparring yourself.

Latest Discussions