Takedown class

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I had my first takedown class today at the jiu jitsu club I train at. It was a lot of fun it named the throws in Japanese so I can't really remember them but that doesn't matter since there's no grading syllabus and I'm not a teacher in it. But we did some basic shoulder throws and what to do if someone counters your throw attempt. It was in the gi as well so it seemed like that was more sport and I did ask about it after class and he said that the throws work in no gi exactly the same you just have to change your grip slightly.

We ended in some free rolling. That was my first time free rolling (the other times have been mainly specific rolling where we start in half guard then work from there.) and my god I did suck. But learning experience the guy I rolled with showed me a triangle escape and another guy tapped me 3 times in a row with a bow and arrow choke. Then he showed me how to do it.

But I did okay though I did tap out a 18 year old about 3 times so I didn't totally totally suck but the kid got seriously pissed off I tapped him with me only just starting and was really trying to catch me and can't say for certain if this was on purpose but I took a finger in the eye, now maybe it was just an accident but I don't know.

Anyway I'm enjoying jiu jitsu a lot more than when I did it before, maybe it's because I'm more mature as a martial artist now or maybe because Im doing it for different reasons as last time it was purely for mma now I'm learning it as an actual martial art.

Reactions: JP3

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finger in the eye from the 18 y/o.... I give it even odds since you tapped him 3 times. But, then maybe I'm cynical. At 18 I'd have been that knucklehead. At 28 I'd have tried to figure out how you were tapping me so easily. At 35 I'd have asked you to just show me. In experience, there is wisdom.

That class sounded like a really good time. I enjoy classes where there is always, even if only 1 round, of free rolling.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Finger in the eye from the 18 y/o.... I give it even odds since you tapped him 3 times. But, then maybe I'm cynical. At 18 I'd have been that knucklehead. At 28 I'd have tried to figure out how you were tapping me so easily. At 35 I'd have asked you to just show me. In experience, there is wisdom.

That class sounded like a really good time. I enjoy classes where there is always, even if only 1 round, of free rolling.
Yeah it did piss me off but I'm proud of my control because my karate experience kicked in at that point and i saw an opening to bring my foot up into his groin but I chose not to and just tapped him out again lol. Yeah good thing about my club is that before every fundamentals class there's always an open mat for an hour beforehand for no extra charge. I haven't done It yet but I just watched and I think I'll do it as well.

Yeah it was fun tiring though lol I looked up at the timer of the 3 minute round thinking we'd have like 20 seconds left or something and we still had like 1:45 left I was like wtf hey coach you forget to start the timer or something lol

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it did piss me off but I'm proud of my control because my karate experience kicked in at that point and i saw an opening to bring my foot up into his groin but I chose not to and just tapped him out again lol. Yeah good thing about my club is that before every fundamentals class there's always an open mat for an hour beforehand for no extra charge. I haven't done It yet but I just watched and I think I'll do it as well.

Yeah it was fun tiring though lol I looked up at the timer of the 3 minute round thinking we'd have like 20 seconds left or something and we still had like 1:45 left I was like wtf hey coach you forget to start the timer or something lol
LOL! In my personal experience there is nothing that lasts as long as rolling with a proficient BJJ guy for a Round when you're ... uh.... non-proficient.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL! In my personal experience there is nothing that lasts as long as rolling with a proficient BJJ guy for a Round when you're ... uh.... non-proficient.
Tomorrow is my birthday and so I need to go in to the gym for my birthday rounds, i.e. an hour of non-stop rolling with fresh training partners.

That generally makes for a long hour anyway, but I've been fighting recurring colds and sinus infections for the last few months, so my cardio is currently about 40-50% of my normal baseline. Not looking forward to it, but it's good mental conditioning.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow is my birthday and so I need to go in to the gym for my birthday rounds, i.e. an hour of non-stop rolling with fresh training partners.

That generally makes for a long hour anyway, but I've been fighting recurring colds and sinus infections for the last few months, so my cardio is currently about 40-50% of my normal baseline. Not looking forward to it, but it's good mental conditioning.
I shall preach thusly to the choir....

Less strength, more flow... watch and wait...

I feel like Yoda. Training while under the weather is tough. Good mental training. Very physically humbling. Have fun, I guess!

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I haven't "rolled" before, I'm pretty sure it's the same as in wrestling - easily the longest 2 minutes imaginable. Somehow that already long 2 minutes gets longer as your opponent gets better. And it's exponentially longer. Then 30 seconds later, you do it all over again. The longest match I wrestled was double overtime in a high school sectional tournament - 9 minutes total. After winning that one, I had nothing left and got beat by a guy I never lost to and beat several times over the years.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I haven't "rolled" before, I'm pretty sure it's the same as in wrestling - easily the longest 2 minutes imaginable. Somehow that already long 2 minutes gets longer as your opponent gets better. And it's exponentially longer. Then 30 seconds later, you do it all over again. The longest match I wrestled was double overtime in a high school sectional tournament - 9 minutes total. After winning that one, I had nothing left and got beat by a guy I never lost to and beat several times over the years.

Wrestling is harder.