Best FreeStanding Heavy Bag for Kenpo & Taekwondo

Uncle Max

White Belt
Reaction score
I've gotten back in to MA, and need to replace my old (hanging) heavy bag. I've used a few of the more popular free-standing bags, and was wondering which (stand-alone) others prefer for home use, and why. I won't be able to go back to a hanger.. kinda wish I could have both lol, but I need to move on. Thanks, all!✌️

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's unfortunate if you can't have a hanging bag anymore. I don't like free standing bags at all. I've never hit one that actually felt substantial in any way that even remotely compares to a good hanging bag. I was going to suggest you get a new hanging bag, and forget the free standing.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've got a golds gym one and it works fine. It's just as strong as a heavy bag and I hit it hard

OP
Uncle Max

Uncle Max

White Belt
Reaction score
That's unfortunate if you can't have a hanging bag anymore. I don't like free standing bags at all. I've never hit one that actually felt substantial in any way that even remotely compares to a good hanging bag. I was going to suggest you get a new hanging bag, and forget the free standing.
Yeah, Flying Crane.. my sentiments exactly. I'm only familar with a few, but (imo) they're not very substantial. And I'm 155!! Was hopin' to catch some info on a new or "better than the others..".✌️

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I bought a Century BOB XL. I've admittedly only hit it a few times since I've owned it (work and family obligations, and being sick). I'll have a lot more time after a few weeks when my work schedule normalizes again. But I digress...

I owned the original BOB, and I used to hit a Wavemaster XXL at my local YMCA. Neither was as good as a good hanging heavy bag, but the next best thing IMO.

I chose the BOB XL over the Wavemaster XXL due to perceived durability. The Wavemaster XXL's bag part spins, and needs to be turned a quarter turn or so to tighten it back up every round. Not a huge issue, but hitting it when it's loose like that would probably damage it, as it starts to rattle around. The bag also had noticeable indentations where it was commonly hit. Every now and then it would make a plastic on plastic rattling sound when hit, which didn't sound good for the bag either. Several people here and on other forums complained about the part where the bag screws into the base splitting, thereby making it useless.

The BOB is a different design - it has a shaft that slides into the bag part, eliminating a lot of those specific concerns.

I've hit a lot of other brand freestanding bags in stores and dojos. None of them were nearly as good as the Century counterparts IMO. If you're going to get a freestanding bag, Century is the way to go. I'm not a Century fan at all, but I'll easily recommend their freestanding bags over any other manufacturer.

I'd love to get an Outslayer hanging Muay Thai bag. Unfortunately my living space makes that impossible. If the day comes that I can have one, I'll buy one immediately. Until that day, I'm quite happy with my BOB XL, and I'll keep it alongside a hanging bag.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I find that the freestanding bags are way way too flimsy, I broke the top off of two of them and even when they are filled with sand, they get knocked over pretty easy with a good side kick. Depending on how hard you hit I'd recommend a nice 200 lb heavy bag, you can smack the hell out of it and not have to worry too much. At my club we also have a 350lb heavy bag filled with sand that's pretty much like a rock. You hit that for a week and you really pack a punch after. If I had to choose a freestanding one, I'd buy the bob dummy, although one of my Kung Fu brothers once roundhouse kicked the head off of one of them.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I find that the freestanding bags are way way too flimsy, I broke the top off of two of them and even when they are filled with sand, they get knocked over pretty easy with a good side kick. Depending on how hard you hit I'd recommend a nice 200 lb heavy bag, you can smack the hell out of it and not have to worry too much. At my club we also have a 350lb heavy bag filled with sand that's pretty much like a rock. You hit that for a week and you really pack a punch after. If I had to choose a freestanding one, I'd buy the bob dummy, although one of my Kung Fu brothers once roundhouse kicked the head off of one of them.

Not everyone can hang a bag or even fit a bag stand in their home. I speak for those of us who are unfortunate enough to not be able to hang a bag when I ask...

Why does every single freestanding bag thread on every forum have people telling the OP to get a hanging bag when the OP states they can't put one in their house?

OP
Uncle Max

Uncle Max

White Belt
Reaction score
I started hitting the sporting goods retailers in my area and wow!.. awesome variety of heavy bags, freestanding not-so-much. And I get it. I have a finished basement now, which is why hangers are out. BOB is out, too. Never liked him at the studio way back when lol. Do any of you good people have any experience with the Ringside bag that's similar to the Wavemaster 2XL?? Thank-you everybody!!

Amazon.com : Ringside Elite Free-Standing Boxing MMA Fitness Workout Training Kicking Punching Heavy Bag : Sports & Outdoors

OP
Uncle Max

Uncle Max

White Belt
Reaction score
I bought a Century BOB XL. I've admittedly only hit it a few times since I've owned it (work and family obligations, and being sick). I'll have a lot more time after a few weeks when my work schedule normalizes again. But I digress...

I owned the original BOB, and I used to hit a Wavemaster XXL at my local YMCA. Neither was as good as a good hanging heavy bag, but the next best thing IMO.

I chose the BOB XL over the Wavemaster XXL due to perceived durability. The Wavemaster XXL's bag part spins, and needs to be turned a quarter turn or so to tighten it back up every round. Not a huge issue, but hitting it when it's loose like that would probably damage it, as it starts to rattle around. The bag also had noticeable indentations where it was commonly hit. Every now and then it would make a plastic on plastic rattling sound when hit, which didn't sound good for the bag either. Several people here and on other forums complained about the part where the bag screws into the base splitting, thereby making it useless.

The BOB is a different design - it has a shaft that slides into the bag part, eliminating a lot of those specific concerns.

I've hit a lot of other brand freestanding bags in stores and dojos. None of them were nearly as good as the Century counterparts IMO. If you're going to get a freestanding bag, Century is the way to go. I'm not a Century fan at all, but I'll easily recommend their freestanding bags over any other manufacturer.

I'd love to get an Outslayer hanging Muay Thai bag. Unfortunately my living space makes that impossible. If the day comes that I can have one, I'll buy one immediately. Until that day, I'm quite happy with my BOB XL, and I'll keep it alongside a hanging bag.
I wish I liked BOB more!.. he's all over town around here lol!! If I could hang a bag, I'd buy a new one AND the MT bag and have cash left over!!

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not everyone can hang a bag or even fit a bag stand in their home. I speak for those of us who are unfortunate enough to not be able to hang a bag when I ask...

Why does every single freestanding bag thread on every forum have people telling the OP to get a hanging bag when the OP states they can't put one in their house?
Because we all know that the free standing ones are usually terrible. And I told the OP that I would take the BOB dummy if I had to.

tubby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
not sure what brand my freestanding bag is, I think an older SMAI one. sure a hanging bag would be great but I've never come close to tipping mine, the base just filled with water. Its on a semi polished concrete floor, maybe once every 2 sessions I'll have to do a round of punches to push it back a foot that it's slid across the floor. I suspect a lot of people are pushing with their side kicks to get them to move that much.
One thing I'd definitely say as my preference is to not get the ones that are spring loaded. they feel poor to hit.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
not sure what brand my freestanding bag is, I think an older SMAI one. sure a hanging bag would be great but I've never come close to tipping mine, the base just filled with water. Its on a semi polished concrete floor, maybe once every 2 sessions I'll have to do a round of punches to push it back a foot that it's slid across the floor. I suspect a lot of people are pushing with their side kicks to get them to move that much.
One thing I'd definitely say as my preference is to not get the ones that are spring loaded. they feel poor to hit.

The people I've seen knock over a freestanding bag were almost always pushing it rather than striking it properly. A side kick is pretty hard to land without a bit of pushing though. I'm guilty of it too.

Jumping/flying kicks like a running and jumping side kick will easily knock one over, but again, it's from the push.

I'm with you on the spring loaded bags. I've found them to be horrible.
I started hitting the sporting goods retailers in my area and wow!.. awesome variety of heavy bags, freestanding not-so-much. And I get it. I have a finished basement now, which is why hangers are out. BOB is out, too. Never liked him at the studio way back when lol. Do any of you good people have any experience with the Ringside bag that's similar to the Wavemaster 2XL?? Thank-you everybody!!

Amazon.com : Ringside Elite Free-Standing Boxing MMA Fitness Workout Training Kicking Punching Heavy Bag : Sports & Outdoors

That bag has a spring in it. I looks like it's a heavy spring that's designed to take the stress off the shaft rather than to make it spring back like the rest of the spring loaded bags. I'm pretty sure it was also sold/rebadged as a Power Systems bag too.

I looked into it briefly, but passed because I had never seen one in person and didn't want to take the chance on something I have zero experience with. I'd be willing to take the chance on an updated product that I knew the earlier version, but not something totally blindly bought. I also heard some complaints about the spring attaches to a plastic base, and the plastic base isn't strong enough to support it properly.

In the end, I went with the devil I know. I hadn't see the BOB XL in person, but knew the regular BOB well enough to make an informed decision.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I assume that your basement (like mine) is too low for a stand to put up a hanging bag. Just tossing that out there as an option. Not as nice as a free-hanging bag (you can't work around it much), but gives you the hanging bag back, assuming you have enough ceiling height to work with.

I've never tried a standing "heavy" bag that I liked, though I've only tried a few. Bob is a favorite of mine, but it doesn't serve the same purpose (to me) as a heavy bag. I actually like bags like the Century Versys - a Shorin-ryu group I shared a training room with for a while had one - but, again, not the same purpose as a heavy bag. I'd be looking for the biggest base possible and filling it with sand, to get the most resistance. I might even look into trying to spray structural foam into the shaft for a bit more weight (and structural support).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We use the Wavemaster bags at the dojang. At home, I use a BOB, although I'd really like to upgrade to the VS BOB, if I can find one cheaper than Century. The BOB feels more like a real person when you hit it, plus you've got anatomical targets to aim for.
I fill the base with sand, rather than water. It seems (subjectively, no formal testing...) to move around less.
As others have mentioned, they CAN be knocked over, but so can people. And, as also mentioned, it's usually a matter of it being pushed rather than struck.

OP
Uncle Max

Uncle Max

White Belt
Reaction score
We use the Wavemaster bags at the dojang. At home, I use a BOB, although I'd really like to upgrade to the VS BOB, if I can find one cheaper than Century. The BOB feels more like a real person when you hit it, plus you've got anatomical targets to aim for.
I fill the base with sand, rather than water. It seems (subjectively, no formal testing...) to move around less.
As others have mentioned, they CAN be knocked over, but so can people. And, as also mentioned, it's usually a matter of it being pushed rather than struck.
BOB would be great, but I need one that I can also use for lower kicking.✌️

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You should try the "hanging throwing dummy". It's the most realistic striking dummy that you can ever find. I hang mine on a tree branch. Hope my neighbor won't call the cop.

hang_throwing_dummy.jpg

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The BOB XL gives you more room for lower kicking. Not a lot more room, but it was enough for me. It's hard to say how much, but here's the best way I can think of...

If you look at the standard BOB, you'll see the barrel on the bottom that goes over the shaft. You can barely see it on the BOB XL. It took a Dick's Sporting Goods salesman and I staring at their website to spot it. I went over to the standard BOB (they don't have an XL on the floor) and threw few a quick punch-roundhouse combos, paying attention to where my foot hit. My foot hit where BOB XL's thighs would've been every time.

If you have a local store with the standard BOB, try it out, noting where your foot lands. Just don't kick hard :)

I've also see people on YouTube wrap padding around the shaft, giving them more room to kick. And I saw a guy put a kicking shield around the base, and had it held on with bungee cords to keep it from moving. None of those are perfect solutions, but they seem to get the job done. I'll experiment when the time comes and I'm motivated.

I still really want an Outslayer Muay Thai bag. My basement ceiling is too low for one, even on a bag stand. I've been to every store in my area with a tape measure in hand. No soup for me.

Last edited:
OP
Uncle Max

Uncle Max

White Belt
Reaction score
The BOB XL gives you more room for lower kicking. Not a lot more room, but it was enough for me. It's hard to say how much, but here's the best way I can think of...

If you look at the standard BOB, you'll see the barrel on the bottom that goes over the shaft. You can barely see it on the BOB XL. It took a Dick's Sporting Goods salesman and I staring at their website to spot it. I went over to the standard BOB (they don't have an XL on the floor) and threw few a quick punch-roundhouse combos, paying attention to where my foot hit. My foot hit where BOB XL's thighs would've been every time.

If you have a local store with the standard BOB, try it out, noting where your foot lands. Just don't kick hard :)

I've also see people on YouTube wrap padding around the shaft, giving them more room to kick. And I saw a guy put a kicking shield around the base, and had it held on with bungee cords to keep it from moving. None of those are perfect solutions, but they seem to get the job done. I'll experiment when the time comes and I'm motivated.

I still really want an Outslayer Muay Thai bag. My basement ceiling is too low for one, even on a bag stand. I've been to every store in my area with a tape measure in hand. No soup for me.
Thank-you, JR. I'll look a little closer. What are your opinions on the XXL Wavemaster vs BOB XL?? Thx again!✌️

Latest Discussions