Reverse Head Lock

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I find this clip. It further proves that you can make your opponent to tap out during the stand up game.

What's your opinion on this technique?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's really easy to get out of. BJJ guys will give a person fits if he puts them in it.

I used to show my students how much the arm over the shoulder can take off pressure, and have them just lift me up with my feet dangling off the floor....and I'd still be talking.

And the first time I experienced this, it scared the crap out of me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find this clip. It further proves that you can make your opponent to tap out during the stand up game.

These are Nathan Leverton's students. One of, if not the best place to train in the UK.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The energy with which a technique is applied directly affects how easily it can be countered ...i.e. if you are better at applying a technique than your opponent is at countering it, it will work. It didn't look like that guy gave his opponent much chance to apply the well known counters in the clips supplied by Buka above.

BTW did anybody notice the painting of the guy with the two swords on the wall? Curious...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Easiest way to defend standing head locks is to have good structure in your wrestling.

Guillotines take advantage of people being sloppy.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Easiest way to defend standing head locks is to have good structure in your wrestling.

Guillotines take advantage of people being sloppy.
How much weight can someone's head carry through his neck?

- 50 lb?
- 100 lb?
- 150 lb?
- 200 lb?

weight_on_head.jpg

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What if your neck is parallel to the ground? Can you still lift that much weight?

If the guy on the right leans his body backward, that will be at least 150 lb physical weight on the other guy's neck. That does not even include the power that come from the "arm squeeze".

reverse_head_lock.jpg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What I like better from there....

I don't know what this is called, maybe the jits guys can help me out. An old BJJ guy taught me this but never mentioned the name, we always called it the nastiest crank on planet earth.

I hope I can articulate this properly.

Guy goes to shoot, or ducks by bending at the waist - When you sink your armpit deep onto the back of his neck - let's say it's your right armpit.
Instead of your right forearm choking across the throat, your left - instead of grabbing your right arm/wrist to help apply pressure, keeps going, putting your left forearm across the throat/neck instead, and grabs your bicep or sleeve.....as your right arm disengages and goes over his back (it would be between his shoulder and waist) to around the shoulder blade area. Then twist with your body to the left. Oh, God, it sucks so bad to be caught in this. Feels like your neck is going to break.

Really doesn't take any longer to apply than a guillotine, but it does to write it out.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What if your neck is parallel to the ground? Can you still lift that much weight?

If the guy on the right leans his body backward, that will be at least 150 lb physical weight on the other guy's neck. That does not even include the power that come from the "arm squeeze".

reverse_head_lock.jpg

lol. correct.

so what should we learn from that?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I don't know what this is called, maybe the jits guys can help me out. An old BJJ guy taught me this but never mentioned the name, we always called it the nastiest crank on planet earth.

Guy goes to shoot, or ducks by bending at the waist - When you sink your armpit deep onto the back of his neck - let's say it's your right armpit.
Instead of your right forearm choking across the throat, your left - instead of grabbing your right arm/wrist to help apply pressure, keeps going, putting your left forearm across the throat/neck instead, and grabs your bicep or sleeve.....as your right arm disengages and goes over his back (it would be between his shoulder and waist) to around the shoulder blade area. Then twist with your body to the left. Oh, God, it sucks so bad to be caught in this. Feels like your neck is going to break.

Really doesn't take any longer to apply than a guillotine, but it does to write it out.

probably a ninja or darce choke.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
or just a dirty neck crank or ten finger choke.

lots of variations.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
or just a dirty neck crank or ten finger choke.

lots of variations.

That's not it. Not that what the clip shows has anything wrong with it, I have no idea. But that's not it.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

The guillotine is a pretty standard technique. It's easier to finish on the ground, but it's probably the highest-percentage standing submission.

It's really easy to get out of. BJJ guys will give a person fits if he puts them in it.

I used to show my students how much the arm over the shoulder can take off pressure, and have them just lift me up with my feet dangling off the floor....and I'd still be talking.

It looks like the guy in Kung Fu Wang's clip was working on a high-elbow guillotine, which is much harder to escape using those standard counters.

reverse_head_lock.jpg

I believe that was drop bear's point. With good posture and structure, the wrestler's neck shouldn't be parallel to the ground.

I don't know if I've encountered that particular variation, but it sounds like a catch wrestling move.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Both are good. But I really like the 2nd one.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

reverse_head_lock.jpg
block his hips with your right arm, reach over his right shoulder with your left arm and pull that side down. Scooch your hips back and circle away from the hokd toward your left.

His leverage comes from driving his hips in. Blocking the hips is an important first step.

Latest Discussions