Reverse Head Lock

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's really easy to get out of. BJJ guys will give a person fits if he puts them in it.

I used to show my students how much the arm over the shoulder can take off pressure, and have them just lift me up with my feet dangling off the floor....and I'd still be talking.

And the first time I experienced this, it scared the crap out of me.
Should have just read more. Yeah. This.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
as your right arm disengages and goes over his back (it would be between his shoulder and waist) to around the shoulder blade area. Then twist with your body to the left. ...
It sounds similar to this move. The left hand control position can be different.

Of course you can twist your opponent's body while your arms are still control his neck. That will put too much pressure on your opponent's neck. It can be difficult to train with your partner.

You can also take him down by twisting to your right and sweep his leg.

reverse_head_lock_sweep.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Easiest way to defend standing head locks is to have good structure in your wrestling.

Guillotines take advantage of people being sloppy.
If your head is vertical with "good structure", you should be able to lift your opponent off the ground and then throw him over your head.

reverse_head_lock_lift.jpg

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a good tool to have in your toolbox.

Here is another take down after the reverse head lock.

Look. If someone gives me their head. I will tear it off. But even the defences are hard work so if you can avoid being there the better.

Otherwise there are worse wrestling positions than a guillotine if you want to wrestle lazy. Some will cripple you.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's really easy to get out of. BJJ guys will give a person fits if he puts them in it.

I used to show my students how much the arm over the shoulder can take off pressure, and have them just lift me up with my feet dangling off the floor....and I'd still be talking.

And the first time I experienced this, it scared the crap out of me.
Oh, my students are not going to like you in the morning, Buka. Shame on you.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's referred to as a guillotine because you're pressuring the throat with your forearm blade (, get it?). Some people drop to the ground when they have the hold to prevent any escapes.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What if your neck is parallel to the ground? Can you still lift that much weight?

If the guy on the right leans his body backward, that will be at least 150 lb physical weight on the other guy's neck. That does not even include the power that come from the "arm squeeze".

reverse_head_lock.jpg
Actually, generally you lift straight up, because ideally, the victim's chin is locked up, with his/her head glued to your belly. This is a low-strength move — all leverage.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just about 2 hour ago, I wrestled with a wrestler (I met him the 1st time) in the park who is

- 45 years younger than me, and
- 60 lb heavier than me.

- I moved in with a head lock.
- He dodged his head under my arm.
- He then held my waist.
- I changed my head lock into a reverse head lock.
- I then pressed his body all the way down to the ground until he taped out.

It proves that "reverse head lock" work nicely.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I find this clip. It further proves that you can make your opponent to tap out during the stand up game.

What's your opinion on this technique?

This is like any other grappling technique out there. The escape for it has to be done before it's locked in. Once a person locks it in, you're screwed.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Once a person locks it in, you're screwed.
The "head lock" and "reverse head lock" should be trained in pair. Your opponent's head can be either vertical (you use head lock), or horizontal (you use reverse head lock).

- The risk is your opponent's may pick you up before you get a chance to sink down.
- The advantage is you have weight advantage while you drop all your body weight on his neck.

In wrestling, if your opponent is a big and strong guy, to use your "over hook" or "under hook" on him may force you to spend a lot of strength. To use your strong arms to deal with his neck should be the short cut. It's a real nice tool to have in your toolbox.

Last edited:

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The "head lock" and "reverse head lock" should be trained in pair. Your opponent's head can be either vertical (you use head lock), or horizontal (you use reverse head lock).

- The risk is your opponent's may pick you up before you get a chance to sink down.
- The advantage is you have weight advantage while you drop all your body weight on his neck.

In wrestling, if your opponent is a big and strong guy, to use your "over hook" or "under hook" on him may force you to spend a lot of strength. To use your strong arms to deal with his neck should be the short cut. It's a real nice tool to have in your toolbox.
The normal headlock is absolutely useless against a good grappler however. In fact, they have a dominant position over you.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The normal headlock is absolutely useless against a good grappler however. In fact, they have a dominant position over you.
Eh, not necessarily. It has its weaknesses, but a strong guy who knows how to use the headlock properly can be dangerous even to a skilled grappler. For examples, see Carlos Newton choking out Pat Miletich and Mark Coleman neck cranking Dan Severn from the headlock. I've got plenty of good counters for the standard headlock, but I'm not going to deliberately let someone put me in one with the idea that I'm getting the dominant position.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First you will need to develop a strong head lock. As long as you can make your opponent's spine to bend sideway, you can take away most of his counters.

I have used head lock to

- take my opponent down,
- obtain a "side mount", and
- make him to tape out,

many times in the past, so I know it works nicely both in stand up and also on the ground.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Actually, generally you lift straight up, because ideally, the victim's chin is locked up, with his/her head glued to your belly. This is a low-strength move — all leverage.
I wouldn't recommend lifting up. That's an inefficient way to think about it. Instead, it's more circular. Hips drive in and shoulders are moving back. When you move your upper body back, the arms naturally rise and tighten the choke, but you aren't trying to lift your opponents head.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I find this clip. It further proves that you can make your opponent to tap out during the stand up game.

What's your opinion on this technique?

A standing Guillotine? That's elementary level Bjj.....

I mean, you literally learn that as a no-stripe white belt in most schools.

It's pretty effective against people who don't know anything about it, but as Buka said, its pretty easy to get out of if you know what you're doing. However, you can still catch experienced people with it who are playing sloppy.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It sounds similar to this move. The left hand control position can be different.

Of course you can twist your opponent's body while your arms are still control his neck. That will put too much pressure on your opponent's neck. It can be difficult to train with your partner.

You can also take him down by twisting to your right and sweep his leg.

reverse_head_lock_sweep.jpg

Hmmm, I like that takedown. I think I'll give that a try next time I practice the guillotine.