Restart or pick up where I left off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark1985

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry but another question. If I start again after 15 years, should I restart as a white belt or carry on where I left off? I will need to relearn most of the patterns (poomse or kata or whatever they are called in the MA you practise), and most of the kicks/blocks/punches. I will probs pick them up quicker than most newbies but should u just pick up at where I left off or start affresh? Or does it depend on the school?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would restart unless you're in some kind of hurry.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Might depend on the school as well. We have had students come in who trained at a different school previously (same art though). They kept whatever belt they had earned but had to learn the curriculum up to that grade before they could test for the next level.

OTOH hand fifteen years is a long break and you might actually feel more comfortable starting over. I know I would feel funny walking into a Judo dojo with a green belt on after not having practiced for near 30 years.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were me I'd feel more comfortable starting again with a white belt, I'd be worried about making a fool of myself if I wore a former grade and couldn't do/remember it. I'd rather be thought of as a quick learner because I'd done it before lol. Seriously though, I'd be more relaxed about training without any pressure to live up to a grade I had a while back.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Belts in a martial arts class serve a number of purposes. Most common is an indicator to the instructor, and other students, of where a student is and how they should be practicing. If you insist on wearing your former belt level but can't practice at that level, then it is both confusing and irritating to others who now don't know what to expect of you. This is also the why I get irritated at those people that say "I don't bother with testing for ranks because I don't care about them".

Just my take on it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Belts in a martial arts class serve a number of purposes. Most common is an indicator to the instructor, and other students, of where a student is and how they should be practicing. If you insist on wearing your former belt level but can't practice at that level, then it is both confusing and irritating to others who now don't know what to expect of you. This is also the why I get irritated at those people that say "I don't bother with testing for ranks because I don't care about them".

Just my take on it.

I agree. I have seen students who were unable to attend for many years come back, and without asking, simply put on a white belt again. In the case where they were able to quickly regain what time had stolen from them, our sensei simply told them to put on whatever color belt corresponded to where they were. But they waited to be told that, they did not decide what they were entitled to wear on their own. Big difference.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

Just my take on it.
Hmm.
Had over 30 people in my Muay Thai class last night. No colored belts, no signs of rankings but I'm willing to bet everyone there knows who is at what level and how to train with each other and what to expect from each other. How? By being there and training.
I can assess very quickly what someone needs to work on as soon as they start warming up, shadow boxing, or doing any pad work or drills.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I took 15 years off. I left right before my 2nd dan test (went away to grad school), and just started again about 15 months ago.

Had I went back to my original school (or another in the same organization), I'd have kept my rank and not tested until I was ready to promote. My former Sensei moved the dojo I used to study at about an hour away, so that wasn't an option. Another school in the organization offered to let me keep my old rank, but I told them I didn't want to. I didn't end up going there for other reasons unrelated to rank.

My current school has very close ties with my old school. My old organization's founders came from my current organization. They kept 90% of the curriculum.

My current teacher told me I couldn't wear my old belt in his dojo. My response was "I don't want to; all it'll be is a Halloween costume at this point."

I started over as a white belt, and I'm currently a 4th kyu. I know all the material up to 1st dan, but I don't care about being a black belt. I can "beat" several black belts I train with, but I don't care. I've helped several students who outrank me with material for their rank, but again, I don't care.

I genuinely feel I'm better now than I was 15 years ago. I left at 24, and will be 40 next month. I'm smarter, stronger and faster now. The only thing I'm not better at is flexibility.

How do I feel about being a 1st dan? Been there, done that. I chased rank when I was young. I'm currently chasing improvement. Would it be fun to work on the material I did when I left? Sure. But it's not going anywhere. I'll be better at it when the time comes.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to keep your old rank. But remember what you're really after. Is it a belt, or is it ability?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Regardless of whether or not the school accepts your rank, after 15 years I would start again. Normally my advice would be similar to what Bill said-mention your previous rank, but wait until they suggest you take up that rank. It's considered rude at a lot of places to assume you keep the rank somewhere else gave you. However, after 15 years even if they offer you the rank I would not recommend accepting it, just way too long of a break for that.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather wear a white belt and have people wonder why, than wear a black belt and have people wonder why.

OP
M

Mark1985

White Belt
Reaction score
I'd rather wear a white belt and have people wonder why, than wear a black belt and have people wonder why.

That's what I was thinking as well. Thanks for all the tips guys. I will start back at the beginning, but mention my previous rank to the instructor.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Talk to your instructor. He'll know where he wants you -- and why.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Exactly.

The only person I told was my CI. Several people asked me where I trained previously. I told anyone who asked, and didn't tell anyone and everyone who didn't ask.

It's quite obvious when someone has trained for more than a few months before, and when they haven't. They may be rusty, forget some stuff, etc., but the instincts and basics are usually still there.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hmm.
Had over 30 people in my Muay Thai class last night. No colored belts, no signs of rankings but I'm willing to bet everyone there knows who is at what level and how to train with each other and what to expect from each other. How? By being there and training.
I can assess very quickly what someone needs to work on as soon as they start warming up, shadow boxing, or doing any pad work or drills.

Okay .... However, since Muay Thai does not use belt ranks and isn't set up that way, this is equivalent to you comparing your fish to the fruit that everyone else is talking about.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay .... However, since Muay Thai does not use belt ranks and isn't set up that way, this is equivalent to you comparing your fish to the fruit that everyone else is talking about.
Has nothing to do with knowing where people are skill wise or what they need to work on.

So your instructor nor anyone else cannot tell what students need to work on? It is only because of the belt rank structure? Come on now.
Even within belt rankings those who are on the floor and who train on a regular basis knows who is skilled or not and what areas need to be worked on. The belt has nothing to do with that.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry but another question. If I start again after 15 years, should I restart as a white belt or carry on where I left off? I will need to relearn most of the patterns (poomse or kata or whatever they are called in the MA you practise), and most of the kicks/blocks/punches. I will probs pick them up quicker than most newbies but should u just pick up at where I left off or start affresh? Or does it depend on the school?

If someone had a blackbelt from my club or from someone I knew and respected in the art, I allow them to wear the blackbelt and pick up the things they have lost. I also let them wear a white belt , and make it their option. I have had a few do this and most have chosen the white belt right away, and the one that did not, switched to a white belt within a month of classes.

Color belts out a short period of time a few months for life issue can wear the same belt rank they had. They usually end up spending time getting back up to speed on what they are supposed to know. If a decade or so, and colored belt the answer for me, would be you start as a white belt.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So your instructor nor anyone else cannot tell what students need to work on? It is only because of the belt rank structure? Come on now.

I never said, or even suggested, those words. You don't get to speak for me or put words into my mouth unless you're willing to stick your hand up my backside and move my mouth for me. :)

Even within belt rankings those who are on the floor and who train on a regular basis knows who is skilled or not and what areas need to be worked on. The belt has nothing to do with that.

You seem to be very caught up in your "anti-belt" campaign. Not sure why, but everyone has to have their causes I suppose.. Based upon your responses, it seems pretty obvious to me that you either didn't read, or didn't bother to try and understand, what I wrote. I'm terribly glad that you are able to work out in the same class where everyone is familiar with the skill level of everyone else. Congratulations, it is a tight-knit and wonderfully insightful group you work with. However, your fish is not the same as my apple, no matter how much you wish to rant about them both being food.

Status
Not open for further replies.