Respecting Black Belts in other arts in your AK school

OP
S

shine

Thanks Cthulhu. I did a google and found another version. It wouldn't surprise me if there are several variants of this thing floating around.

My version comes from: http://martialarts.about.com/library/weekly/aa060899.htm

It is attributed to Bruce Lee's BB magazine article Free Yourself From Classical Karate

A learned man once went to a Zen teacher to inquire about Zen. As the Zen teacher explained, the learned man would frequently interrupt him with remarks like, "Oh, yes, we have that too...." and so on.

Finally the Zen teacher stopped talking and began to serve tea to the learned man. He poured the cup full, and then kept pouring until the cup overflowed.

"Enough!" the learned man once more interrupted. "No more can go into the cup!"

"Indeed, I see," answered the Zen teacher. "If you do not first empty the cup, how can you taste my cup of tea?"

I guess if Bruce liked the story I must be wrong to dislike it.:confused:

Just kidding.

So here are 2 interpretations:

1. This is an important jewel of wisdom from the East.

2. This is an example of how you use passive-aggressive tactics to intimidate someone.

Take your pick.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No prob, shine. I just wish I had a better memory. The version you put up sounds a lot like what was in Hyams's Zen in the Martial Arts, which, incidentally, was related to Hyams from Bruce Lee.

Cthulhu

OP
V

vincefuess

I always thought a killer belt would be one knitted from the pannies of all the girls I've been with- but then again, it may not be long enough to get around me!! BWAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

"Whoa- watch out for that guy, anyone who is bad enough to have lace edges and bunnyrabbits and flowers on his belt must be one bad mutha!!!"

BWWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!:rofl: :rofl:

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well here is my two yens worth.

When a new student comes in to our school we respect that he/she has learned another art. But when it comes right down to it he is learning a new art, different basics,different terminology, different stances, and comepletly different forms. Sometimes even within the same style. Because of this he/she is to wear the appropriate rank that being white. He/she tests the same as everyone else.
Now it is almost certain that because he/she has had previous experience in other arts whatever that may be, he/she will test sooner than those with less or no experience. For example they do not have to learn balance, coordination, or endurance,as those that have had little or no experience.

Ok we love the what if questions..... so here it goes.

What if:

I were a new student and for some odd reason I decided to take TKD and the teacher seeing my ability allowed me to wear my rank from American Kenpo. I happen to be a black belt in a white belt class. My kicks look better but they are not right, my form is correct for Kenpo but not TKD. The other students may look at me and my rank and say to themselves, 'wow his kicks look really good'. So they start doing them like me. They confuse themselves by color of rank, not by who the real teacher is. I feel it is not fair to the instructor(s).

Thats a little more than 2 yen I do expect some change from this.

:rofl: Michael

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by vincefuess
I always thought a killer belt would be one knitted from the pannies of all the girls I've been with- but then again, it may not be long enough to get around me!! BWAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

I guess it depends on the size of the girls...........:eek:

Michael

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by vincefuess

"Whoa- watch out for that guy, anyone who is bad enough to have lace edges and bunnyrabbits and flowers on his belt must be one bad mutha!!!"

BWWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!:rofl: :rofl:

That is all fine and dandy when the ladies are young and slender, when they get a older and the waists expand it isn't pretty.

Legendary singer Tom Jones once said in the late 90's, "the beautiful young ladies who came to see me in the 60 and threw their panties on stage at me, it was a splendid time. Now those same ladies still come to see and still throw their panties. there have been times when I thought the light s went out because of the rushing darkness"

I know this was off topic but I had to put my 2 cents in.

OP
V

vincefuess

There have been ONE OR TWO whose underthings could get around me TWICE. Just one or two, mind you....:rofl:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Since I posted the Tom Jones story, I have been having nightmares on a daily basis about being buried alive in granny panties. What horrid dreams.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Then it is true, I am the bringer of all things evil.

I bet Ashida Kim could hide in one of those sets of panties or maybe even turn himself into a set of oversized granny panties.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Only in my nightmares, but that is close enough.

OP
V

vincefuess

I have known a few REALLY HOT babes who liked grannie pannies cuz they were comfortable... you can learn an appreciation for them in the right circumstances!!

If Jennifer Aniston were stripping down, getting ready to "get funky" with you, and she peeled off her jeans to reveal a big honking set of grannie pannies, would that make Mr. Johnson drive south?

Didn't think so... :D

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alright, guys...back on topic.

Cthulhu

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
I agree with this 110%. You go to the school to learn, not show off. My GF gladly wears a white belt in our Arnis class, even though she's a 2nd Brown in Kenpo. Why? She respects the system enough to start at the beginning, and will happily work her way up. She even refused to wear her Kenpo gi and got a seperate uniform for training Arnis. Said "Its not right".

This is similar to my way of thinking. When I first began Ryukyu training, I was a senior green belt in Parker Kenpo, preparing for brown. My new instructor told me I could wear my Kenpo uniform and belt if I so desired. I felt that it would have been extremely pretentious to do so.

Besides which, it would not have been seen for what it is by the other students, or instructors, because in Ryukyu Kempo, the green belt and the purple belts are reversed, so my perceived rank would have been lower than my actual.

Of course one the bigger advantages is when someone who doesn't know your background decides to play a little harder than normal, you just take it in your stride, drop a few American Kenpo techniques on them, and just leave them laying there wondering what hit them.:rofl:

--Dave

:asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm big in my organization on uniformity and also within each studio.

Nothing distracts more than a variety of different uniform styles and belts that are from various other diciplines.

It confuses everybody and looks like hell!

If you are at a samuri studio then look like one! If you are at a Kenpo studio then look like one!
If you are at a Kali studio then look like one!

Be consistant and uniform with the system you are in at the time.

But that's just my opinion.

:asian:

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
I'm big in my organization on uniformity and also within each studio.

Forget it bub. I am not replacing my logo with the universal symbol on my left arm.
:cuss:

Latest Discussions