Respect

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We see plenty of respect but in a Western way mixed with an Eastern way.

Bowing is done to show respect to others in the class, handshakes and calling the instructors "Sir" or "Maam"

But also I see listening when asked to, doing things quickly when asked to, treating each other like human beings and not machines, respecting each other wishes and respect of each others abilities also.

Some things are the same from East to West but some are more one than the other. I don't think respect is being thrown out on the whole, but I think the type of respect you see changes from culture to culture.

Of course there are some places where respect is lacking, in those places things can become dangerous and/or ineffective. Evolutionary extinction will occur here eventually.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dunno about that. I've met people whose talent and skill I respected. A lot of them were truly reprehensible excuses for human beings.

I know what you're saying - but in those instances I respect the talent and skill, not the person who demonstrated them. I see them as separate in that instance.

It's kind of like what I mean when they say "I love my sister but I don't like her as a person" - I love her because she's my sister, but if she weren't my sister, she's not the kind of person I generally hang out with; she does not demonstrate many of the attributes I respect and look for in my friends.

The same holds true for my opinion of other people. I respect hard work, integrity, perseverance, self-control, courtesy (although that can be superficial), and skill - but as I said before, I can respect these (and other) attributes in people while not respecting the person who demonstrates them in isolation, but not as part of their character. I respect people whose character demonstrates that they understand, and live by, the attributes which I respect.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know what you're saying - but in those instances I respect the talent and skill, not the person who demonstrated them. I see them as separate in that instance.

It's kind of like what I mean when they say "I love my sister but I don't like her as a person" - I love her because she's my sister, but if she weren't my sister, she's not the kind of person I generally hang out with; she does not demonstrate many of the attributes I respect and look for in my friends.

The same holds true for my opinion of other people. I respect hard work, integrity, perseverance, self-control, courtesy (although that can be superficial), and skill - but as I said before, I can respect these (and other) attributes in people while not respecting the person who demonstrates them in isolation, but not as part of their character. I respect people whose character demonstrates that they understand, and live by, the attributes which I respect.

I think that you must also respect your enemies in this way. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they are impotent. If you underestimate people who are trying to hurt you or a loved one, then you are being foolish.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I respect those with knowledge
I respect thiose who have been inthe arts 30 or more years
I respect those whi=o actualy teach not rip off their students
i respect those who ar not drunk at this moment

I believe this sums it up dor me.

Latest Discussions