Respect- Given Or Earned?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So true--double meaning as in a cat chasing its tail...

When its earned its given. When its given, its earned to be given back.

Further, when its lost, it has to be re-earned.

A little respect given will result in a little respect back.

But humility shown, as a I'm sorry, HEARTFELT, not just words, will go a long way in getting respect back.

But some people have no clue. They just demand respect because they are the MASTER and it doesn't matter what they have done or continue doing.
TW

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
One can respect someone's rank for the knowledge it symbolizes.

One cannot respect someone of higher rank just because of that rank.

The person must demonstrate that he/she is worthy of respect as a person through her/his actions and how he/she treats her/his fellow human beings.

You can be incredibly knowledgeable of your art and still be an idiot. I've had some as instructors. Great martial artists - lousy human beings.

No one is entitled to anything without earning it.:asian: KT

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I first meet someone with a particular rank - or even meeting a new person for the first time - I will treat them with respect. After that, however, they can lose that respect through their words/actions/intent.

And someone who I didn't have a high opinion of can certainly earn new respect, given their behavior.

I start out assuming the best in people (which sometimes leads to massive disappointment), respecting a high rank and the work it entailed to get there, and go from there.

L

lvwhitebir

Feisty Mouse, I agree completely! Respect them because they are a human being. They can lose your respect, but some level of respect should be present when you first meet someone. IMO, respect, courtesy, and generosity all go together.

WhiteBirch

L

lvwhitebir

kenpo tiger said:
No one is entitled to anything without earning it.

I disagree. Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness come to mind. I believe I'm entitled to some level of respect simply because I'm a person. The definition of respect that I teach my students is "to treat someone or something as if it's valuable." You can then "respect your elders" or "respect your property."

Giving something without it being earned is always harder to do and makes you the better person (IMO).

WhiteBirch

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
As related in the post above, there is a minimum amount of respect due to anyone simply because they exist as a person. Beyond that, you have to earn it. I would consider it as a certain amount of respect is accorded to all; through your actions you can increase it or reduce it. When I use the word "all," I mean all. No one gets more respect simply due to their rank, occupation or societally agreed upon authority status. No one gets less either.

It's an easy thing when you are a generally respectful person. Of course, I expect the same of others.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
D.Cobb said:
Ok here's the question.

Do you believe that respect, should be given, or earned?

Some people say that respect should be earned, but then tell me I should respect them automatically.

What makes them so special?

Others say that respect is a given. That it is up to you to keep it, by your actions, words and deeds.

I am wondering what you guys and gals have to say on this subject.

--Dave

:asian:
I respect everyone I meet, but those who I feel have earned respect get a special kind of respect from me.

L

lvwhitebir

Trent said:
there is a minimum amount of respect due to anyone simply because they exist as a person. Beyond that, you have to earn it.

I agree to a point. There are various levels of respect, from treating them like a human to treating them like a god.

My question is then how do you "earn it?"

Can you respect a person more than another because of their "station", either job or ability? Can you respect someone more even if you've never met them? For example, do you respect a police officer more than your 16-year-old neighbor? What about soldiers in the armed forces? What have they done to specifically "earn" someone's respect?

If this is true, can you respect a person who has spent more than 20 years in the martial arts *more* than the white belt next to you, both of whom you just met?

Do you respect a person more because they are famous?

WhiteBirch

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
lvwhitebir said:
I believe I'm entitled to some level of respect simply because I'm a person.
I disagree strongly. Simply being an intelligent bipedal life form should not automaticaly entitle anyone to anything.

With regards to the topic - Respect can only ever be given. It can never be earned. Sometimes you can do things which make it more likely to be given, but you can never force someone to give it to you.

Latest Discussions