Required reading

NW_Tengu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello all, quick question. I own and have read Hatsumi Soke's: Ninjutsu: History and tradition; Essence of Ninjutsu; Japanese Sword Fighting: Secrets of the Samurai; Stick Fighting: Techniques of Self Defense; Advanced Stick Fighting; Understand? Good. Play!; The way of the Ninja:Secret Techniques; Ninja Secrets from the Grand master; and Knife and Pistol Fighting (with English text. I also own and have read mcuh of Hayes' early ninja books as well as several various issues of Ninja magazine.

Does anyone know of any other books they would reccomend as "required" reqading for Bujinkan members? Are their any english translations of Tenchijin Ryaku No Maki Heaven, Earth and Man Strategy Book ? Is there any comprehensive Bujinkan book? Like an all in one. An example: http://www.marctedeschi.com/books/hpinfo.aspx IMHO the best book ever written on a martial art. Anything Simialar for Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, there is a translation of Ten Chi Jin... in fact, there have been a couple. I have a version which is very similar to the one Hayes and Daniel used years ago, and is based on the copy my teacher Wayne Roy recieved from Nagato Sensei in the very early 80s. Probably the best place to find a copy now would be Richard Van Donk's site, www.ninjutsu.com, price there of $45 US. Other than that, Hatsumi Sensei's new book should give you some food for thought, depending on how you can follow it's writings (based on previous books).

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All Bujinkan books are worth reading at least once. Nowadays though I don't like anything written on the subject as much.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any other books they would reccomend as "required" reqading for Bujinkan members?

I personally think one should supplement their Bujinkan reading with other martial related works. These are a few books that I own and I think are enriching to my budo. However, they are not required, rather, they are merely personal suggestions.
  • The Art of War, Sun Tzu
  • The Book of Five Rings
  • The Unfettered Mind: Writings of the Zen Master to the Sword Master
  • Living the Martial Way : A Manual for the Way a Modern Warrior Should Think
  • On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society
  • The Gift of Fear : Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence
  • On Combat: The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in Peace

OP
N

NW_Tengu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I personally think one should supplement their Bujinkan reading with other martial related works. These are a few books that I own and I think are enriching to my budo. However, they are not required, rather, they are merely personal suggestions.
  • The Art of War, Sun Tzu
  • The Book of Five Rings
  • The Unfettered Mind: Writings of the Zen Master to the Sword Master
  • Living the Martial Way : A Manual for the Way a Modern Warrior Should Think
  • On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society
  • The Gift of Fear : Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence
  • On Combat: The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in Peace

Thanks Bigshadow. I have and have read The Art of War, Living the Martial Way, and The Book of Five Rings. I was mostly interested in Bujinkan Books. That being said, I will check out the others on your list too.

OP
N

NW_Tengu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
All Bujinkan books are worth reading at least once. Nowadays though I don't like anything written on the subject as much.

Interesting comment Bandit. Do you find that all the recent books are just rehashes of old material? Or are you at the point where books are just a nicety and of little value because you have to train to "get it"?

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Or are you at the point where books are just a nicety and of little value because you have to train to "get it"?

Maybe it's just poor translation but I don't like their general pretentiousness. That goes for most Bujinkan blogs as well.

Latest Discussions