Remember when you went to the dojang/dojo just to train
remember when you left the school with so many bruises
remember when all instructor tought and was on the floor to help
remember when the head Instructor lead by example
remember when respect was always in the schools
remember when the test was a test
remember when you trained to better yourself
remember when

As I sit and ponder that of yesterday and the day before, I can't help but remember the training and the respect we always had for each other. Sure we always bricker and pissed and moaned but we was always there for each other, we was and forever a family inside the dojang/dojo. We always tried to better ourself personally and as a group. I remember those days and I treasure those days again.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember it like it was last night. In fact, it was.
icon7.gif
You sound melancholy, Mr. Stoker. s'matter?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember it like it was last night. In fact, it was.
icon7.gif
You sound melancholy, Mr. Stoker. s'matter?

No and please call me Terry everyone else does, I was just sitting and remembering while I was looking at old pics. from the seventies and eighties just got to me a little I guess, memories are so special and can make anybody feel a little melancholy.
Thanks for asking

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
ya know, i really think there's more of that now than 'back in the day'.

those seventies 'dungeon dojos' and the eighties 'smashmouth dojos' had a way higher percentage of loudmouth idjits than we find today.

martial arts has evolved (in the western mindset) to become a place people go when they're looking to become better people. back then, it was a place people 'got tough'.

i like the dojo today much better than the old school.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
No and please call me Terry everyone else does, I was just sitting and remembering while I was looking at old pics. from the seventies and eighties just got to me a little I guess, memories are so special and can make anybody feel a little melancholy.
Thanks for asking

Glad to hear it. The way I first read it, it sounded like something bad had happened at the school.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

those seventies 'dungeon dojos' and the eighties 'smashmouth dojos' had a way higher percentage of loudmouth idjits than we find today.

martial arts has evolved (in the western mindset) to become a place people go when they're looking to become better people. back then, it was a place people 'got tough'.

Sure we loved to fight but we made friendships that has lasted over thirty years, we was able to kick the crap out of each other and go drink the same night. Yes we all had tustation to our ears but we had respect for each other as well.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
... remember when ...

A good friend of mine was just saying last night how he misses the "old days" when he was just a student lining up with all the other students instead of the "Master Instructor."

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh....I thought the way it works in my dojo is the way it works in every dojo.
Our Sensei still is on the mat with us, throws us and takes falls with us. He repeats that his job is teaching us and his purpose is learning from us.
We are there just to train, no hanging around talking and laughing. Of course a laugh can come out, but as a result of a technique which came out bad or something related to it. Respect is always in there, for the dojo, for the Sensei and for the learning mates.

I might have just ended up studying under an old school Sensei...even tho he is not that old :wink1:

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Our Sensei still is on the mat with us, throws us and takes falls with us. He repeats that his job is teaching us and his purpose is learning from us.
We are there just to train, no hanging around talking and laughing. Of course a laugh can come out, but as a result of a technique which came out bad or something related to it. Respect is always in there, for the dojo, for the Sensei and for the learning mates.

I might have just ended up studying under an old school Sensei...even tho he is not that old :wink1:

Old School is the technique of teaching not the age of the teacher..

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure we loved to fight but we made friendships that has lasted over thirty years, we was able to kick the crap out of each other and go drink the same night. Yes we all had tustation to our ears but we had respect for each other as well.

True, and it's much the same today.

But there were always those other guys. Often they worked as security guards, or kept changing jobs. They'd usually washed out of or never quite got 'round to joining the service. And they'd be there to learn how to hurt folks. Folks out of class, folks in class. They never came out to drink after and you're not likely to still be friends with them.

I've been noticing lately how long it's been since I ran into that guy at a dojo. Though I'll admit he might be next door at the MMA place.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True, and it's much the same today.

But there were always those other guys. Often they worked as security guards, or kept changing jobs. They'd usually washed out of or never quite got 'round to joining the service. And they'd be there to learn how to hurt folks. Folks out of class, folks in class. They never came out to drink after and you're not likely to still be friends with them.

I've been noticing lately how long it's been since I ran into that guy at a dojo. Though I'll admit he might be next door at the MMA place.

Well if he is remember to duck and dive and bob and weave

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Remember when you went to the dojang/dojo just to train....
remember when

Yes I do, in both actually, I also remember when in a kwoon or guan as well.

And I do feel a lot of that is missing today, not in all schools, but it certainly is not as prevalent as it use to be.

No and please call me Terry everyone else does,

And thats not ALL we call you either :uhyeah:

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score

Now that is a positive attitude.
I like it!
We all should look at that and try to make him right.
By the way, if we could erase all of the McDojo's, I agree.

AoG

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Thanks for asking
I hear ya Terry! When the "family" was all there, befiore the patch wars, and nastiness emerged. I miss them all as well.

Stryder

White Belt
Reaction score
Throwing my lot into the hat...

I remember my instructor teaching us a technique that had a kick to the head in it. Right after the kick to the head he stopped to explain something....which turned into something more....and then something more....and nobody brought their leg down the entire time he was talking. When he decided to move on, everyone moved on. Out of respect for this guy, we all kept our leg up in the air (way up in the air) until he moved on, and then we proceeded like we had never paused in the first place.

That core group of us turned into something good. One is a very well known fighting champion, a few others own their own schools, (I still haven't got my dang black belt hahahaha "it's the journey not the destination...it's the journey not the destination...").

The kids I train with today don't have that kind of respect or determination.

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember vividly, it was Thursday night...And in about 10 hours it will happen again...I'll get the **** kicked out of me, come home bruised, worn out and sore, and will love every minute of it...
I've got a gem of a Sensei...I wish the bulk of the dojo would see that fact and work as hard or harder than I do...The "family" aspect is stressed VIVIDLY in the dojo, and sometimes you have to suffer to make yourself and your family stronger...Either way, the "old school" approach still lives on 3 days a week at the dojo in my hometown...Come on down, lets get the **** kicked out of us together...:asian:

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I remember, there was no quicker way to earn respect for each other than by beating the crap out of each other, and when it was over it usually ended in a hug, or was that just trying to hold each other up? Thanks for the memories

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

There is still a difference between being part of the class, and teaching the class. There are rewards and responsiblities that come when you teach.

Your instructor is responsible for watching everyone, correcting everyone and keeping everyone safe, and that takes away from his time to train for himself. On the other hand, you learn so much from your students, and there is nothing like the feeling you get when you see your student's "get it".

Latest Discussions