Religion in the Dojang-dojo

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
How does everybody feel about religion inseide the school during the holiday. FOR_ AGAINST_DON'T CARE.

Let's see... one of my instructors has this habit of reciting a shinto prayer (the one that goes "chihayafuru o kami..." something) before and after practice and this used (read USED) to be a big problem with us Muslims. But then he allowed us to NOT recite the prayer and just pray according to our beliefs.

Another instructor of mine also exempted Muslim students from doing the "Mokuso", because some of them think that this is a form of worship.

He also allowed us to take a short break during training if we want to take our customary Muslim prayer (we practice from 4 in the evening to 8 in the night, and a Muslim prayer called "Magrib" must be performed at 6).

One thing that he has no tolerance for is bowing/reiho. We absolutely must do the japanese bowing. Some of my Muslim friend quit because of this. I did not quit because sensei explained to me that we are not bowing to show WORSHIP, we are bowing to show RESPECT, worship is for Allah (or God/Jesus) only. So I kind of understand his reasoning and am happy to perform the customary reiho out of respect to the traditions and out of respect to him. Off course I do not consider him as some kind of deity :)

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bowing is like a handshake in japan.
as for prayer in the school.......i would be against that. there are too many religious variables to get involved in that.
i would be straight up with the parents and let them know.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If a student or parent came to me asking about prayer around the holidays, I would allow it as an optional thing.

I am a Christian, but I, as the instructor, would not lead a prayer in my class...Simply because I wouldn't want to alienate students of other faiths in my school.

It's not an easy subject, tho.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jujutsu_indonesia said:
Another instructor of mine also exempted Muslim students from doing the "Mokuso", because some of them think that this is a form of worship.

Here's a thread on bowing in Judo, discussing a court case:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732

The student wanted to be exempted from bowing for religious reasons, but the court did not support her petition.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many people say that a school is a private club so the owner can do anything. However, you depend on your students to keep your doors open. Since it does not appear you opened a Christian MA school, you are asking for trouble.

When your student joins a school, they eventually feel like they are a part of something. Some of the students may have never felt this way before now. I'm sure you have seen this, where you get someone that never felt like they belonged somewhere until they joined your school. They look forward not just for the instruction, but for the ability to interact with others of like interest.

Now you add prayer for Christmas. Even if you say that it's optional, there will be someone that will feel excluded or seperated if they don't participate. That feeling of being an outsider looking in, that they may have felt in all other places in their life, now happens at the one place they never felt that.

I personally would not want to alienate any of my students. Even if it's just one student. It may also be a very bad business decision. So unless you plan to convert your school to a Christian school, I would recommend not to do it. It's enough that Christmas is usually celebrated in a school, leave the prayer at church.

Wild Bill

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kajukenbo has an official prayer I think. In some schools it is recited before and after class.

Latest Discussions