Relaxation is the key

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Learned this (and relearned it, because I'm slow) with golf, bowling, baseball, and a couple other sports where people hit things. Trying to hit with all your might is less effective than loosening up, relaxing, and hitting well. It works in martial arts too. Relax and let things happen. Body mechanics will take care of the power.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a great old Shaw Brothers clip about this. I'll have to dig it up.

Something like basically " in a fight, if you stay calm, you win."

Some of the best advice I've ever heard. I told a BJJ bud of mine that and he was like hell yeah.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Found some mood music for this thread.

Hope you like jazz.

Ramsey Lewis actually just died yesterday,
a legend. 80 albums, 5 gold records, 3-time Grammy winner. RIP man.

Last edited:
OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Found some mood music for this thread.

Hope you like jazz.

Ramsey Lewis actually just died yesterday,
a legend. 80 albums, 5 gold records, 3-time Grammy winner. RIP man.

I'm sorry to hear that he passed. I have several of his albums.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Relaxing in an actual life and death struggle outside of a dojo, where someone is potentially really going to try and kill you, is the trick. This calm mind comes from establishing prioritize, and setting certain priorities above your own safety.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Learned this (and relearned it, because I'm slow) with golf, bowling, baseball, and a couple other sports where people hit things. Trying to hit with all your might is less effective than loosening up, relaxing, and hitting well. It works in martial arts too. Relax and let things happen. Body mechanics will take care of the power.I
I’m translating a book about Iaido and this morning I was working on the ‘paradoxes of Iai‘ the first being that the use of too much force slows blade velocity and makes cutting less efficient!

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Totally agree. Relaxation allows you to use full strength when need, even when it’s just a fraction of a second.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Got it.

Mystery of Chess Boxing. 46:20

Kids wants to learn kung fu to avenge his dad, he finds a great teacher, who only teaches his chess for a month.

Right when he's about to give up..."the first virtue is to be calm, calm must be the basis of kung fu. It's a mental discipline..."

Bonus points for the plum flower routine on bricks. That is cool.

Warning, watching either of these clips might make you want to train.

The final battle is one of the best in kung fu cinema history.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
"the first virtue is to be calm, calm must be the basis of kung fu. It's a mental discipline..."

"To master this game, you have to be...very calm. But also quick of wit, sharp of eye, fast of mind, slow of tongue, quick to see."

"Calm, and keep calm. That's most important if you're going to win. It's not easy to appear calm, but if you do, you'll win. Calm is natural, remember that".