Regarding Hung Gar

Gotham

White Belt
Reaction score
I leave for my first Hung Gar class in about 2 hours and I was wondering what I can expect. The man that will be instructing me has been practicing Hung Gar for 30 years and martial arts in general for 40. I actually got the opportunity to work with him the other day as he used to work for my uncle's construction company (this guy is built like a lion) and we talked about martial arts for most of the day.

I was just wondering what I can expect from this particular kind of Kung Fu. He said that I had the body type for it and that I should enjoy it beings that I'm quite the fan of all things martial arts.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I leave for my first Hung Gar class in about 2 hours and I was wondering what I can expect. The man that will be instructing me has been practicing Hung Gar for 30 years and martial arts in general for 40. I actually got the opportunity to work with him the other day as he used to work for my uncle's construction company (this guy is built like a lion) and we talked about martial arts for most of the day.

I was just wondering what I can expect from this particular kind of Kung Fu. He said that I had the body type for it and that I should enjoy it beings that I'm quite the fan of all things martial arts.

I practiced some Hung Gar back when I was in high school, a lot of years ago. Yeah one thing was that my instructor was in very good shape and so were all senior students. What can you expect? I got a lot of rigorous training some so good, I still incorporate it into my work out. You can expect to be in pain for quite some time, but its a good sort of pain, the kind you get after a good work out. When you have actually accomplished something. A lot of low stances, good for your legs and a lot of finger and fore arm conditioning. Have fun, its a great system, and great a work out.

OP
G

Gotham

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, I'm a carpenter by trade and at the ripe age of 27. I'm in decent shape. I feel the pain after a hard day building a house. Add this class 3 times a week to it and I'm going to be a mess for awhile.

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I leave for my first Hung Gar class in about 2 hours and I was wondering what I can expect. I was just wondering what I can expect from this particular kind of Kung Fu.

Great! I can give you my experience to use as a reference: Qi gong postures, stance training/footwork - especially horse stance. Basic foundation/technique drills & bridge conditioning. Expect some soreness tomorrow.

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Gotham -

Curious to find out how class went?

OP
G

Gotham

White Belt
Reaction score
I just got back from day 2 of my Hung Gar class. It has gone wonderfully so far. I've only just begun learning the salutes, etc. The punch/kick techniques start Monday. I'm having an absolute blast so far and I've learned quite a bit for two days. When class is all done I stay afterward and ask for help THEN come home and practice it more.

This has been well, well worth it!

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just got back from day 2 of my Hung Gar class. It has gone wonderfully so far. I've only just begun learning the salutes, etc. The punch/kick techniques start Monday. I'm having an absolute blast so far and I've learned quite a bit for two days. When class is all done I stay afterward and ask for help THEN come home and practice it more.

This has been well, well worth it!

Wait til you start learning the Butterfly Knives and Spear and Staff Forms, a lot of fun. Also man taming the tiger, good stuff. Glad to hear its going well.

OP
G

Gotham

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, Sifu and his assistants all said that I was born for Tiger due to my body type. Low to the ground and built like a rock!

TjThunder

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hung Gar is a great martial art and if you stick with it the benefits are endless, glad to hear your enjoying it!!!

Latest Discussions