Stamina

kersme

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone...I've been doing WMA for a year now, but im not happy with my stamina, or endurance...and i was wondering what i could do about it. someone mentioned the skipping rope. Is to build up stamina without running?

Thanks.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings Kersme,

Welcome to Martial Talk.

Jumping rope will help you build stamina.

Try this link:
WebMD Jump Rope

When I went back to MA for training I would lose gas so fast. One of the instructors suggested jump ropes. Just make sure you have a good spot for jumping rope. I prefer a dance floor (springy floor boards).

Swimming also helps. Do a few laps for 10 minutes and slowly work your way up to 30 minutes. For me going by time helps me more than judging by how many laps I do. Plus I like playing in the water.
icon10.gif

claireg31

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hi
i've been doing TSD for over three years now and i've found both skipping and jogging have helped me with my stamina, when i'm doing either i usually add in short bursts of speed, this has helped now end.
its a long term proccess and won't happen overnight(obviously), its something i've become to enjoy, i hated any kind of sport when i was younger, now i'm in my early 30's i really do enjoy it
claire

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey Kersme,

As already mentioned, jumping rope is a great way to start off. I'd personally be looking to do it on padded floor where possible- it just tends to take some of the impact out of it.

Use a timer and do timed rounds. Let's say 3 minute rounds- with each minute you increase your intensity in the skip. Make a circuit out of it as well. Do 3 minutes skipping in this manner, then drop and do 50 sit ups, then another 3 minute round of skipping, then do 20 squat jumps, then continue skipping etc etc. Other exercises you could throw between the skipping rounds include push ups, squats, frog leaps, shadowboxing, step-ups or lunges.

Try 20-30 minute circuits of non-stop activity like this. Just work your way up bit by bit- increase a little bit in each activity every week- and watch your stamina build!!!

Good luck with it. :)

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

I was never one for jumping rope and getting to a pool is a little inconvienient for me. I find that whenever I train, when my instructor asks for 20 I give him 30. I go all out 100% effort every single min of class good, bad, or ugly, and just keep pushing myself. I do extra sets of push up sit ups, squats, ect.. before class and sometimes after, time permitting.

I found that my endurance really improved as a result. If you are not sweating and pushing yourself a little bit harder ever time you are just cheating youself.

-Marc-

Budo_NJ

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi kersme,

For conditioning I do Workout 1 in the following link:

http://www.trainforstrength.com/workouts.shtml

It works the entire body without any need for weights or running. I've been doing it for 3 months and it's hard as hell. But my stamina, endurance and strength have had a great improvement. I plan on switching to Workout 2 later this month.

Good luck.

tahuti

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hill sprinting, interval training, tabata, jump rope, burpees, 100 pushups/500squats challenge, sprint indoors with resistance band around your waist.

Very simplified sprints, shorter sprints affects mostly anaerobic ~up to 200m, longer than 800m runs are aerobic, 200-800m different proportions of both

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing2.htm
http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/tabataintervals.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD3uicAYtdw&eurl=http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/jumprope2.htm

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jump rope will build your stamina; I know a guy who trained for a marathon doing nothing but jump rope, and he successfully completed it.

It'll also develop lightness on your feet.

gungfufreddie

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone...I've been doing WMA for a year now, but im not happy with my stamina, or endurance...and i was wondering what i could do about it. someone mentioned the skipping rope. Is to build up stamina without running?

Here's a small list of things you can do to increase your stamina (do this at least 4 times per week):
-Running
during the run switch from jogging to sprinting during the run
do sprints very often
take care when running down hill
-Jumping Rope
make sure to switch from fast to loose on occasion
in time try going as fast as you can for as long as you can randomly in
the middle of the routine
try skipping rope on one foot and switching
-Swimming
I suggest swimming whenever you can to increase overall fitness and
stamina
go through about 5 laps per session (assuming the pool length is about
100 feet)

This is all I have at the moment but for other things pertaining to fitness in martial arts (and everday life) just email me at [email protected]
or look up "Fredankie" (I know it's silly) at myspace.com

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
run forest run, heheheh sorry can't help it but yeah running is a good stamina builder. beside that i shadow box a lot and drill punching bag. the trick is to really go all out on one go and see how long can u keep punching.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In the martial arts training? ...there is NO SHORT CUTS!

Either you do it or you don't. Jump rope is an excellent stamina building tool. Start slow with a good jump rope....work till you can go up to 10 minutes or more. (boxer usually go to 30 minutes).

Any plyometrics,burst type of training will also increase your stamina.

Physical fit...means physical training. To become better means training your body to work harder. It is very easy to be lazy...do nothing.

To build stamina/strenght....is like shoving dirt to make a mountain....each shovel will get you a higher mound. That is why people who do nothing has a bigger belly!

Easy to build fat....harder to build muscles...........Aloha

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jumping rope is a great start, but I have always been partial to a trampoline. Bounding is used by NASA and is a great way to get in shape/build stamina.

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
yeah the classic workout still is the best. nutin like a good 5 km or so to make u sweat and upping your stamina, try to alternate betwwen jog and sprint that would be good. and wear good footwear while running that is most important.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Running, swimming, jumping rope, pylometrics, wind sprints, hill sprints, sparring, grappling, biking, etc. Lots of different activities to chose from. I try to take a varied appraoch and that keeps the muslces guessing and provides a very well balanced stamina.
icon14.gif

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
I read somewhere about High Intensity Interval Training that might help. The basic idea is that if you run and vary your speed your body doesn't get used to the speed that you're going giving you more of a workout. I don't know if you're talking about the same thing, I am, but I have weak stamina as well. This is because I'm out of shape and just need to do a lot more cardio. In any case, I think it might help.

tad2bad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hill sprinting, interval training, tabata, jump rope, burpees, 100 pushups/500squats challenge, sprint indoors with resistance band around your waist.

Very simplified sprints, shorter sprints affects mostly anaerobic ~up to 200m, longer than 800m runs are aerobic, 200-800m different proportions of both

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing2.htm
http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/tabataintervals.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD3uicAYtdw&eurl=http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/jumprope2.htm

Couldn't say it any better

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In my son's/daughters's wrestling classes (high school). One of the things that help their cardio was : sprinting about 100 feet or more with a burst of speed (full power ), touch the floor both ways (you want to bend the knees here). For about 10 times till you can add 10 more to 20, than 30 times a day.

Jumping rope build till you can do 30 minutes at a time without stopping.

OR: doing all kinds of excerise in full speed without stoping, in burst of speeds till you kind increase in time...one minute to two minutes..three and more...( add those that bends your knees, go two the ground and raise up type of excerise too!) In the Army they call them "grass drills"..add rolls on the ground too.

..............Aloha (I tired type this?) need to type more often training.....

Latest Discussions