Slapping Ears? Do you practice this?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Slapping both ears to break the ear drums...do you practice this?

We do both one hand slaps to the ear and two slaps to both ears. Cup the hands and together slam the ears. We do it lightly and not forcefully for practice.

The dangers here is you can damage someone ear drums. "Can you hear me now"

You don't need alot of strength, skills,or be a black belt to do this, anyone can do this..and is very effective technique. which will give you time to do other things or escape....Aloha

PS:IF this is a moral issue for you? ....do not reply or read this. I will poke you in the eye(see post on eye jabs)....just playing here....Aloha

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yes, we have worked on techniques using one ear and both ears. I also agree about using caution and control when practicing!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like this technique. It gets peoples attention. ;) :D

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's the ultimate answer to a frong bear hug, arms not pinned, so yes, I do practice it.

JitsuAddict

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes, we practice this at my Dojo. a very effective technique. sensei said it can also KO an opponent with proper technique and some luck.

thescottishdude

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As far as slapping ears goes, I've never heard of it in my 9 years of practice.

If you have enough space to slap their ears, then why not just punch them in the side of the head? Surely a punch is much more effective, and it won't land you in jail.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
thescottishdude said:
If you have enough space to slap their ears, then why not just punch them in the side of the head? Surely a punch is much more effective, and it won't land you in jail.

Why wouldn't a punch land you in jail?

And I'm not so sure the punch is always more effective, when applied correctly, I think they're both equally effective.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
thescottishdude said:
If you have enough space to slap their ears, then why not just punch them in the side of the head?
This would go against everything I've ever been taught. I personally would never put a "hard" weapon (closed fist) on a "soft" target (skull).

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jimi said:
Thunder claps. Yes, they are great tools. Say what?

I practice it too, but in the air only. I won't do it to a training partner, nor will I have it done to me.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
thescottishdude said:

As mentioned by a previous poster, this is an excelent technique from a front bear hug. How much power can you generate in a punch without being able to use your hips or feet effectively to generate power?

Why would an ear slap land you in jail, and not a punch?

Based on your eye jab thread and your comment here, you seem more concerned with the moral and legal issues of self defense than using an effective technique. Self defense is not about an mutually agreed upon fight or duel, it is an assault on your person, sudden and violent. Your intention should be to end the assault as quickly as possible. if that means doing damage(temporary or permanent) to your assailant, that was his choice by attacking someone.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
frank raud said:
Self defense is not about an mutually agreed upon fight or duel, it is an assault on your person, sudden and violent. Your intention should be to end the assault as quickly as possible. if that means doing damage(temporary or permanent) to your assailant, that was his choice by attacking someone.
I agree with this. I'll be nice until it's time to not be nice.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's an effective technique and easy to teach. Be silly not to have it in your arsenal.

Jeff

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
frank raud said:
Based on your eye jab thread and your comment here, you seem more concerned with the moral and legal issues of self defense than using an effective technique. Self defense is not about an mutually agreed upon fight or duel, it is an assault on your person, sudden and violent. Your intention should be to end the assault as quickly as possible. if that means doing damage(temporary or permanent) to your assailant, that was his choice by attacking someone.

based on his comments and his handle, i wonder. scottishdude, are you from one of those blessed places where men can still have a friendly brawl and then grab a beer together after? doesn't much happen in the usa anymore.

gotta admit part of me misses that attitude. seems to have vanished during my lifetime.

and oh, yeah -- ear strikes (single or double) are awesome. they can stun a strong man with not too much effort.

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
thescottishdude said:

Hello, In nine years you have not heard of this slapping to the ears? I am glad you visit this forums..(purpose is to share and exchange ideas and also just chat.

Slapping the ears is a very effective technique and like all others each has a purpose or use. (example: a women being bearhug/attack...she trying to escape...she is better to use her strenght on slapping the ears,then trying to punch from those positons. (slapping does not require lots of muscles to work)..anyone can do this technique-slap. (she can do other things too).

In most states...a slap,punch,kick,spanking a child...can land you in jail.

The more we can gain knowledge...the more prepare will can become...Aloha

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I find it a good technique. Another technique that is good for front bear hug without arms pinned is knife hand striking the nerve that is at the base of thre neck on both sides at the same time (forgive me I can't remember the name of the nerve I will get back with the name) It is very effective I have used it and have had someone use it on me full force (sucks0 it made my shoulders lock up and my knees buckle. It put me down, but for a limited time. I am a large guy 6'1 and over 260 lbs. It wouldn't be a show stopper but really makes a large opening to flow into another technique.