Recommendations in Colorado Springs?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Z-Ultimate has a pretty good system for self defense. Unfortunately, it is very easy to own a school, so if the person running the school is like that your suggesting, then it's a horrible idea, if he is a legitimate martial artist, I would recommend it.

Good to know. Unfortunately, you have to take anything dojos like that say with a golf ball sized grain of salt.

Just like everywhere, the only way to weed out the bad ones is to visit.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good to know. Unfortunately, you have to take anything dojos like that say with a golf ball sized grain of salt.

Just like everywhere, the only way to weed out the bad ones is to visit.
The issue is if you are new to martial arts, how will you know? That's why these dojos can run even if the person teaching doesn't know crap about MA, and ruin the reputation of someone else who has actually dedicated themself to the art.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The issue is if you are new to martial arts, how will you know? That's why these dojos can run even if the person teaching doesn't know crap about MA, and ruin the reputation of someone else who has actually dedicated themself to the art.

Exactly. Why I'm asking for recommendations based on actual knowledge of the area. I can Google pretty well myself, and I can tell my nephew to look at every facility and do his own research if I wanted to. Looking for better advice than "figure it out yourself."

If it was for myself, I can figure out which ones are dross pretty quickly. I know the difference between good and bad training, but I'm in Detroit, so I'm not much use to my nephew in that department at the moment.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of the list you found, I can say that Gracie Barra BJJ, US TKD Center, andThe Center for Aikido & Tang Soo Do are all good schools, based on my personal knowledge. The only caveat is that the US TKD Center is very heavily sport oriented, which may be a factor, depending on what he's looking for.
I can also recommend KB Ninjutsu if he's interested in Bujinkan training. Don Roley is in the Springs, but he's generally less inclined to take new students, from what I know.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I think the majority of people in those types of dojos are the ones who think "I want my kid to do karate" and pick the most convenient place, the type who want to "do karate" with their kids, and the ones who want an alternative to Planet Fitness. And there's nothing wrong with any of those motives.

Sure there's always a couple people who think they're getting realistic SD training, but I'm sure they're the minority. The masses aren't really that stupid, are they?

A vet shouldn't have too much trouble separating BS from effectiveness IMO.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A vet shouldn't have too much trouble separating BS from effectiveness IMO.

Vets are like everyone else; they are distracted by shiny stuff and massive claims. It really takes decent training to be able to recognize the difference between real training and garbage, IMHO.

My nephew sent me a link to a Youtube video last night, something he saw and thought seemed pretty realistic; he wanted my opinion.

We don't diss other styles here, so I'll just say it was a Nat Geo episode about a fellow who claimed to be able to do some pretty amazing things. In my estimation, it was all BS in its purest form. My nephew was entranced.

Latest Discussions