Recent issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
it doesnt seem to be his problem that he can't teach, sp much as he is feeling ripped off, that he pays two pounds an hour for his lesson, but gets to spend that time teaching rather than being taught. Two pounds for our American friends isn't enough to buy a cup of coffee. But this amount is causing him to consider. Going to another school
No even if I wasn't paying i wouldn't like it because I don't like teaching plain and simple and could be doing better things with my time than teaching kids who have 0 interest and only dragged there by there parents

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No even if I wasn't paying i wouldn't like it because I don't like teaching plain and simple and could be doing better things with my time than teaching kids who have 0 interest and only dragged there by there parents
so as you go 3times a,week, I'm guessing you are there tonight. Let's us know how it goes

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right firstly I do American kenpo so I don't do Asian martial arts
"white pajamas" gi; check. Standard karate techniques (with anglicized names); check. Admitted Asian origins; check. Japanese name (kenpo); check. Funakoshi style belt ranks; check. Yup. Not Asian at all. :rolleyes:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In this thread and in the other thread where headhunter was getting harassed by a parent, a pretty clear picture of this instructor is being painted.
And yet he has repeatedly in this thread written that he likes it there and doesn't want to leave.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The school I attend fits what you're saying. We have about 40 or so students. A senior student and I were estimatingly adding up tuition, and subtracting rent, utilities, etc. We were talking about how it's basically a non-profit place. I think my CI and his wife (co-owners) make enough to cover expenses, travel to NYC regularly for training, and maybe a small vacation every year. The other thought it was break even and maybe half the NYC stuff. We're 2.5 hours drive away from NYC.

We all help out whenever needed and however needed. My CI was redoing the floor last summer - strip, sand, re-varnish, etc. At least half the adults offered to help. Not out of obligation, but because we genuinely love the place. Everyone shows up for dojo cleaning (4 times a year). Even parents who don't train show up and help.

When my CI is out of town (he's retired from his full-time career and takes 2-3 weeks every year), the senior students volunteer to teach class.

None of this - and more - is an obligation. We're less than half the price everyone else in the area is. We're a small and very tight knit club. We do these things because we want to keep the place going and we enjoy each others' company. We know we're not made to do anything just so we can line some "master's" pockets with money.
Careful. Apparently if you admit that this sort of environment exists you can be accused of promoting a cult. :rolleyes:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've seen the same thing happen in MMA. A guy gets a fight or two then he's advertised as an instructor who is expected to teach as well as train. fine if he wants to and doesn't have to pay but not if he doesn't want to or actually doesn't know how to teach....it's not a natural talent every martial artist has. Most people have to be taught how to teach.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ummm what? How about not putting words in peoples mouths First I've not said anything about whether I'll leave or not second second I've never said anything about being victimised....
That's amusing. You've written repeatedly that you don't want to leave this school.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok. So what is it about his "attitude" that'll keep him from "flourish(ing) in what is usually called 'traditional Asian martial arts?'"

I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing.

Please don't take this as argumentative. I'm just confused.
Look around at "traditional" schools. How many decades long students feel that they only have a commercial/financial relationship with the school/art?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm trying to wrap my head around this statement. Headhunter has over 20 years training in karate and has earned his black belt. You might want to rethink this :D
Nah. I thinking about how he could have been continuously training in American Kenpo for 20 years as he has written an only just earned his black belt 6 months ago.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nah. I thinking about how he could have been continuously training in American Kenpo for 20 years as he has written an only just earned his black belt 6 months ago.
So what? You're belittling me for that? I never cared about belts I take my time who cares. Nice amount of arrogance you have first saying if you don't teach you don't like your art then talking down on someone who takes longer to get a belt...nice guy you are

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Look around at "traditional" schools. How many decades long students feel that they only have a commercial/financial relationship with the school/art?
Probably loads? You know everyone who ever trains do you? Get off your high horse and realise your way isn't the only way

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You got a problem with that?
Well, frankly, yeah. It's way, way, way outside the bounds of normal that something about it doesn't quite sniff right.

There could be several different reasons for it but most often the reason is that it's not 20 years of continuous training, and I have no doubt that your experience is any different. While it could be that he's declined to test for 15 straight years (going on the rule of thumb of 3-5 years training to shodan), it much more common, and therefore more likely, that, while he started 20 years ago, he has had long periods of not attending a school.

And that would be consistent with what he technically wrote but not consistent with what he was implying.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, frankly, yeah. It's way, way, way outside the bounds of normal that something about it doesn't quite sniff right.

There could be several different reasons for it but most often the reason is that it's not 20 years of continuous training, and I have no doubt that your experience is any different. While it could be that he's declined to test for 15 straight years (going on the rule of thumb of 3-5 years training to shodan), it much more common, and therefore more likely, that, while he started 20 years ago, he has had long periods of not attending a school.

And that would be consistent with what he technically wrote but not consistent with what he was implying.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions