am i wrong for this?

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One of our former blackbelts joined a TKD class in college and basically acted like he had no idea what was going on for the entire semester. Then at the end of the semester he pulled out with some jump spin kick that knocked the dummy over, and everyone in the class wondered where the hell that came from. he explained that he took the class for an easy credit and was a 2nd dan black belt. He thought it was hillarious, And I chuckled a bit when I heard it. It isn't arrogant unless you are going in there to make the guy look foolish or something to that effect. I would take a class like that just for the credit.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jkdhit said:
now here's where there's a conflict. ever since i started college, i found out that there's a karate course being taught for 1 credit every semester. when i read the description, for some reason they wrote tae kwon do and karate together so i've been hooked on trying to get into the class but it's always full by the time its my turn to register.

finally this year, i managed to get into the course but my girlfriend is complaining that it makes me seem arrogant for joining the course. we've both stopped by and saw a class in session once and the instructor doesn't really seem good at all.. i've seen some intermediate ranking belts that have performed much better than him so my girlfriend has me wondering if it's arrogant of me to take the course?

also, for the class everyone is required to purchase a uniform w/ white belt anywhere or wear one if they have one. my tkd instructor said i should wear my school uniform and belt b/c i should be proud of my achievements.

so i'm in conflict about my girlfriend saying i'm being arrogant for joining. my instructor says it's cool and i should be proud and wear my black belt. i'm see sawing on what to think so i'm wondering if you all had an opinion on it
Forget about wearing your BB to the first class, is my advice. You are a NEW student to this instructor. My college Judo instructor forbade the wearing of school patches in his class as he feared this would lead to dojo rivalry (this was over 20 years ago).

If you already hold a BB in a kick, punch style, why not fulfill your P.E. requirement in a course outside of your studies? What about boxing or wrestling? Does your school offer Judo? Why not expand your horizons instead of duplicating, at a lower level, what you've already done?

BTW, I held a MUCH higher rank than the white belt I wore in my college Judo class. I didn't pretend to know much, didn't mention my prior experience (began Judo before I could read) and learned a heck of a lot from a Korean Yudo master who integrated into his basic, lower division course, finer points that were new to me. Empty your cup is my advice.

I don't mean to come down hard on you; just offering the opinion you asked of MT members. Also, the title of your thread, "Am I wrong for this", gives you your answer. Best of luck in your college career.

OP
J

jkdhit

the college doesnt offer anything else other than that course. the other pe courses are swimming, tennis, etc things im not really interested in

Latest Discussions