am i wrong for this?

J

jkdhit

ok here's whats up.. i've been in all types of martial arts all my life so i guess i'm what you'd call a self proclaimed expert. i don't want to brag about anything but it helps in the point i'm making.. i'm pretty good when it comes to sparring and most techniques, as for forms.. i'm pretty decent in remembering them and performing them..

now here's where there's a conflict. ever since i started college, i found out that there's a karate course being taught for 1 credit every semester. when i read the description, for some reason they wrote tae kwon do and karate together so i've been hooked on trying to get into the class but it's always full by the time its my turn to register.

finally this year, i managed to get into the course but my girlfriend is complaining that it makes me seem arrogant for joining the course. we've both stopped by and saw a class in session once and the instructor doesn't really seem good at all.. i've seen some intermediate ranking belts that have performed much better than him so my girlfriend has me wondering if it's arrogant of me to take the course?

also, for the class everyone is required to purchase a uniform w/ white belt anywhere or wear one if they have one. my tkd instructor said i should wear my school uniform and belt b/c i should be proud of my achievements.

so i'm in conflict about my girlfriend saying i'm being arrogant for joining. my instructor says it's cool and i should be proud and wear my black belt. i'm see sawing on what to think so i'm wondering if you all had an opinion on it

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't think you're being arrogant, maybe. IMO, this could be an easy "A" or credit for you considering your experience. When it comes to the uniform/belt, I think it would be better for you to not take the chance of causing conflict by wearing another schools uniform without first consulting with the class instructor. If the instuctor didn't seem to good for you, is it the easy credit you're going for, or are you going in with a sincere desire to possibly learn a little of something different? If you're taking this class just to show up the instructor, then that's arrogant.

Franco

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You also might want to consider your "true" motives for taking this class. Look down inside yourself and ask yourself ... then answer honestly... "why?"
That should give you the answer(s) that you seek. For all of our own personal problems, hang-ups and idiocrasies (good or bad) the answer to them is deep inside us where most of us fear to tread.

What we think is as least as important as what you think because it'll be your decision in the end. Your instructor might be a legitimate teacher and has the creditials to teach at a college with his chosen field. Then again he could be a mcdojo-er making easy bucks knowing people will sign up for it because it's cool to do and an easy A grade. Check up on him first and if he can help you expand upon your knowledge then by all means learn from him.

Like you I've been involved with various martial arts all through my life... but by no means do I proclaim I'm an expert in any of them. I know what I know and I know how to apply what I know when I need to. What I know is a pittance compared to many of the artists here on this board.

Listen to your girlfriend if you respect her intelligence, knowledge, experience and her opinion, sounds like she knows you pretty well. Or maybe not. You know better than I do.

Good luck. :asian:

OP
S

sifu Adams

I would take the course and see what it was all about. I believe you can learn from anyone if you take the time to lisson. I wouldn't recomend wearing your school logos and black belt to class on the first day. I would talk to the instructor and see what he says first. Martial arts is the only sport ( or what ever you wont to call it) were the leader, coach, instructor is expected to out preform the students regardless of age, gender, fisical ablity.

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm having difficulty in figuring out what your question really is.

Are you asking if you're arrogant for just wanting to take the class? If so, with the information you've given us your motives for taking the class seem questionable. Wanting to learn something should be the reason for taking any course.

If you are asking if you're arrogant for wanting to wear your black belt, then yes I would say you are. The course has certain parameters established for taking it. A perscribed uniform and white belt are the norm, accept that. Let the instructor determine whether they want to change the rules after they have seen you move.

As far as your current instructor stating that you should wear your current uniform and belt. If it's not his course, it's not his call.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're interested in the class, go ahead and take it. As for wearing a different uniform and belt...its one thing if the course is an art that you're already trained in, but if its a different art, I'd wear the uniform that is suggested for that course.

As for being arrogant...only you can control that. If you walked in with the "I'm the best attitude" then yeah, I would say that was arrogant, but if you go in with an open mind, to learn and have fun, thats not being arrogant IMHO.

Have fun and let us know how it goes! :ultracool

Mike

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I suppose it depends on why you want to take the class. If you want to take it to just keep on experiencing martial arts and try on a new class and see what this person has to offer and can truly attend as a student, then I don't know why you'd be arrogant for joining ... unless, that is, you wear your uniform and rank of your existing style in that classroom without the invitation to do so from the instructor of that class.

If you're going to attend the class to openly compare what you've already learned to what they're practicing there, or to devalue it in any way, THEN you'd be joining it in arrogance.

To my way of thinking, if one doesn't enter someone else's dojang/dojo (another style) with the mentality and humility of a white belt, then perhaps a white belt is what one really should be wearing.

Just my .02

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Another thing, do you think your TKD instructor would appreciate a new student coming in wearing another schools uniform and belt? Personally, I think it's arrogant of him to suggest to you to wear his schools uniform and belt to anothers class.

Franco

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Honestly, just reading your first paragragh, I think your girl friend has you pegged. If you are going to take the class, make sure it's for the right reasons. It sounds like a good opportunity to learn something new if you're willing to open your mind to the experience.

BTW. I wouldn't wear your class uniform. Wear one that's appropriate for the art.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
What are your intentions for taking the class first of all? Are you looking to keep up with your training or are you looking to just go to class and use the other students as kick bags? If you are interested in learning then go for it. If it is just to "Show Off" then stay far away. Most people who join something like this are from other backgrounds just looking to keep up in some small way. The other thing is if you join do not be ashamed to wear a white belt. After all it is just a belt. There is an old story about a grandmaster on Okinawa that after his teachers passing wanted to continue to learn so he sought out the help of another master on Okinawa. Once accepted as a student he took off his red belt and wore a white belt during his instruction time. Meaning behind the story is that the belt does not matter. It is the person that wears the belt that matters.

In the spirit of Bushido!

Rob

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bdparsons said:
I'm having difficulty in figuring out what your question really is.
Me too.

If you open your mind, you'll learn something. If you go in figuring you know it all...don't bother. Take "Beginning Tennis I" instead.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jkdhit said:
ok here's whats up.. i've been in all types of martial arts all my life so i guess i'm what you'd call a self proclaimed expert. i don't want to brag about anything but it helps in the point i'm making.. i'm pretty good when it comes to sparring and most techniques, as for forms.. i'm pretty decent in remembering them and performing them..

now here's where there's a conflict. ever since i started college, i found out that there's a karate course being taught for 1 credit every semester. when i read the description, for some reason they wrote tae kwon do and karate together so i've been hooked on trying to get into the class but it's always full by the time its my turn to register.

finally this year, i managed to get into the course but my girlfriend is complaining that it makes me seem arrogant for joining the course. we've both stopped by and saw a class in session once and the instructor doesn't really seem good at all.. i've seen some intermediate ranking belts that have performed much better than him so my girlfriend has me wondering if it's arrogant of me to take the course?

also, for the class everyone is required to purchase a uniform w/ white belt anywhere or wear one if they have one. my tkd instructor said i should wear my school uniform and belt b/c i should be proud of my achievements.

so i'm in conflict about my girlfriend saying i'm being arrogant for joining. my instructor says it's cool and i should be proud and wear my black belt. i'm see sawing on what to think so i'm wondering if you all had an opinion on it

As many others have said, your own motivations are what make it an arrogant act or not. Also, even if you are technically better than the guy, that doesn't mean you can't learn anything from him. He may have a certain perspective on some things that you've never seen before and that you find very useful. And, even in a worst case scenario, you can learn things not to do from him ;)

As for wearing your uniform/rank from another school ... also as others have said, I wouldn't. And I would seriously wonder about any instructor that would advise doing so.

Your instructor is right that you should be proud of your achievements. But pride is a personal thing. When you start flaunting it, it becomes arrogance. Even if you train in the same art that's being taught, it's not a good idea to just show up wearing your uniform/rank from somewhere else. If your uniform has no patches or anything then it'll be fine but wear a white belt. If you wear any other rank you will be setting yourself up for conflict - with the instructor and, potentially, other students.

The only time, IMO, it's "proper" to wear rank from a different school is when you have explicit permission from the new instructor to do so - or, if you've been asked to come in and teach then the permission is kind of implied. After all, it is his "house" you're visiting. Even if it's the same system, don't assume. Go talk to the instructor first. The only place that your rank has any real significance is in your regular school and, probably, in a sister school (i.e.: a nearby school that has a good relationship with your regular school).

Mike

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think only you can answer the question as to you taking the class for the right or wrong reasons. A hint, to me, would be if you are willing to wear the required uniform and white belt.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just for comparison. When I was working on my Comp-Sci/Math degree, I was already programming professionally. I *needed* certain credits dealing with computer programming so I ha dto take certain classes, even though I was already daily doing stuff far more complicated than in the class. So I took the classes, I had to for credit anyway, and they ended up being easy classes.

If you want the credit, go for it. Don't look it as being arrogant for taking a class you should do well in, think of it as a chance to pick up some credits without much pressure..and maybe you can help the other students along the way.

Talk to the class instructor...if the art is different then one you already have a belt in, then just wear the plain white uniform/belt. If it's an art you already have some experience/rank in...ask the class instructor if it's okay to bring it in. He could feel it would be a distraction..or could feel it would be an encouragement.

Pale Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with almost all of the posts made. The only thing that I may add is simply this:
If a student from another Tang Soo Do school comes to my class and wants to join - I would do a preliminary test to see where he/she is at with techniques, then by watching I would give a quick answer on whether or not I would allow him/her to wear the belt that he/she had earned from another school. I have at times (rare) promoted that student to a belt higher based on the techniques shown, but most of the times the ones that have come to my class have earned the rank, and I have allowed them to wear the rank that they earned.

Now if it is a totally different style - how can they say that they can wear the rank? Forms are different, techniques are different. It may take the student less time to earn rank in another style, but still start that person off as a white belt. (As I mentioned I agreed with majority of the answers.)

Would a Master in a different style all together allow me to wear my Dan rank in their school if it was a totally different style .... no.

Think about what you want to learn, and if it is important to you, you would be proud to put on that white belt and start over. Sometimes pride gets in the way alot.

OP
J

jkdhit

thanks for the responses. well the reasons for taking this class is i'm 1 credit short and this class is one credit, i've wanted to take this course since freshmen year, it seems like an easy A, it would boost my GPA, i'm curious about the style being taught, and i want to know why it was listed as karate and tae kwon do

as for the uniform issue, of course almost no school would like it if you were another schools logo unless theyre really lenient about cost being an issue. as for the class, i read that people can purchase a uniform anywhere. so i think if some people can wear a no name brand while others wear nike or adidas, then i think it wouldn't be an issue for me to wear my martial arts uniform should it?

i'm thinking that way mainly because they didn't specify a specific place or brand to purchase. also, if they wanted a specific brand, i think they would have sold it in the college bookstore since they sell everything else there too :p

Pale Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had started my TSD Training at a University, and even tho the University itself didn't offer it as a class - my prior instructor utilized the gym. If you don't have a place to order the uniforms, I can recommend one for you and they are pretty reasonable on price.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jkdhit said:
thanks for the responses. well the reasons for taking this class is i'm 1 credit short and this class is one credit, i've wanted to take this course since freshmen year, it seems like an easy A, it would boost my GPA, i'm curious about the style being taught, and i want to know why it was listed as karate and tae kwon do

Well, it may have to do with the school's stipulations. I had a friend who was teaching at a University. He was teaching TKD with some Filipino MA mixed in (he was a 3rd Dan in TKD and didn't have an instructorship in FMA yet but had several years of training under his belt in FMA and got permission from his instructor to teach it). The University listed it in the catalog as "Karate" and he had absolutely no say in the matter. When he tried to point out that he wasn't really doing Karate, they just shrugged and said, "That's the name people will recognize and we have to fill the base quota or the class gets canceled."

as for the uniform issue, of course almost no school would like it if you were another schools logo unless theyre really lenient about cost being an issue. as for the class, i read that people can purchase a uniform anywhere. so i think if some people can wear a no name brand while others wear nike or adidas, then i think it wouldn't be an issue for me to wear my martial arts uniform should it?

i'm thinking that way mainly because they didn't specify a specific place or brand to purchase. also, if they wanted a specific brand, i think they would have sold it in the college bookstore since they sell everything else there too :p

Personally, I think any school that gets finicky over the brand name of a uniform is kind of anal. I do understand a school mandating that uniforms have to be purchased from the school - that's an understandable business decision. But aside from that, the brand name of the uniform is irrelevant, IMO.

What's more important is if you have patches or logos on the uniform that identify it as being from a specific art, system, or school. If your uniform has no patches, then there shouldn't be any problem at all wearing it. But I wouldn't recommend wearing your rank. Pull out your old white belt or, if it doesn't fit or you don't have it anymore, go buy a new one.

Mike

OP
J

jkdhit

yeah i was actually thinking of wearing my white belt

as for uniform, i'm thinking rather than wearing my school uniform (says professional taekwondo on it), i'll go and use my addidas uniform to avoid conflict

i'm still curious why the class is listed as karate/taekwondo

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jkdhit said:
yeah i was actually thinking of wearing my white belt

as for uniform, i'm thinking rather than wearing my school uniform (says professional taekwondo on it), i'll go and use my addidas uniform to avoid conflict

i'm still curious why the class is listed as karate/taekwondo

If my friend's experience is any indicator, the guy could be teaching Wushu and they'd still call it "Karate/TKD" because that's a name the powers that be think students will recognize and sign up for :)

You won't really know until you see what he's doing. And then if you don't see why it's called "Karate/TKD" you might ask the instructor.

Mike