Realistic/Mythical goals and your martial training

Z

zen_hydra

What kind of martial arts goals do you set for yourself? Where do you draw the line? What do you think is achievable, and what do you think is pure myth? Do you believe that the legendary achievements of the martial past are actually attainable, and if so how do you work to actualize them in practice?

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only goal that I personally have is simple: I strive to improve myself in some way each day.

I feel that I succeed more often than I fail.

With that single goal, everything else (for me) falls into place.

Mike

OP
M

MartialArtist

In the martial arts, I don't think about the long-run only. You can't just set a goal so far away. I know a thousands of teens who set their goal to be the state champion in high school wrestling, or the NCAA champion. There can only be one champion (per weight class but you can only compete in one weight class and can't switch in the middle of a tournament) annually. I've known some who've done it, and dozens that didn't. But the ones who did achieve such a feat, did not just think about the championship. Of course, it was a driving force, but they had enough knowledge to assess themselves and know what they have to work on, just then saying I want this and that. My goal again, like like the ones above; improve every day. Very easy to achieve every day if you put your mind to it, and it adds up so you can reach your high goals.

I was 4th in state in wrestling my junior year long ago, and I never would've guessed I would have gone that far, especially since it was only my 2nd year wrestling. My senior year, I got 8th because I was so excited for the state tournament, that I forgot about improving every day and I knew I was the cream of the crop and stopped working. Not everyone stops once they reach the top, but I unfortunately am one of those people.

OP
C

chufeng

I don't have the same goals I used to have (duh...) what I mean is, I am focused on my children, now...not on me...I also am concerned about my students' successes...I simply live in the now...

Do I make plans? Of course, but I live as if I could be dead in the next moment, to do otherwise is to be only partly present...

Do I discourage others from setting goals? NO...in fact I think everyone should make a 3-month plan, a 6-month plan, a 1-year plan, a 3-year plan, a 5-year plan, and a 10-year plan...

Set goals for each plan...then describe HOW you will achieve those goals...then do it... Plan your and Work your Plan...

I did this very thing and I did it with the complete conviction that I would succeed...then I did...

However, my goals are now focused on trying to raise my children to be responsible citizens and to ensure they have something to live on should I leave suddenly (dead)...

If I have a personal goal, it would still be student centered...to pass on everything I can before I am physically unable to.

:asian:
chufeng

OP
S

SRyuFighter

I also strive to improve myself in one way each day. I feel that is all that we can do. I have no dissulutions that i will someday be Goku from Dragonball Z or anything like that.

OP
W

Wmarden

If you look at what years of hard work can do for you, it may appear to be magic to somebody who only sees the movements. I am a white belt in jujutsu, i do the same moves my sensei shows. Yet they are not the "SAME" moves. A certain grace that one does movements with can be seen as almost magical to the un-initiated or outside observer. I know how hard the basics are to do right.

It is the long years of hard work that make that "magic" happen. As far as breaks and stuff, that is much the same. One must have a knowledge of their own body and the physics involved. Proper focus is magic. Or at least one of the key ingrediants.

Certain pressure point moves certainly seem like magic. Just a small fraction of an inch off and the move does not work. So I suppose there is a certain trick or magic involved in that.

Enough of the magic, I have both short term and long term goals. I go into each workout with a very short term goal. And it will usually be something slightly greater than last week in one aspect or another. And further I have intermediate goals which deal with perhaps the whole week or month. Then even longer term goals. Each successful goal sets me up for the next successful goal. So when I get to that tough challenge it is like it is already done. Success builds upon itself. Keep that in mind.

Success leads you to your purpose. Through discipline one can acquire that which eludes him. Be it faith, strength, endurance, or any other essential qualities of the warrior lifestyle.

Further don't be discouraged when you have setbacks or problems. Use them to amplify your discipline and focus. Use what you have learned to step forward anew. Each setback is a chance to get back up. As has been said before, it is not how many times a man gets knocked down that is his measure, it is how many times he gets back up.

Latest Discussions