Real samurai swords

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Anybody got a real antique samurai sword ...
My brother in-law (my 2nd MA instructor) obtained a real antique samurai sword after he killed a Japanese officer on the battle field during the Japanese invasion. The sword was so sharp that I could use it to sharp my kitchen knife. The problem was, one time he broke that sword, he could not find anybody who knew how to weld it back in Taiwan.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother in-law (my 2nd MA instructor) obtained a real antique samurai sword after he killed a Japanese officer on the battle field during the Japanese invasion. The sword was so sharp that I could use it to sharp my kitchen knife. The problem was, one time he broke that sword, he could not find anybody who knew how to weld it back in Taiwan.

I do not believe it is possible to weld a pattern welded blade back together, unless you want it as a wall hanger. The pattern will be forever disrupted, for one thing.
I have no idea what you mean by "use it to sharp my kitchen knife", to be honest.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have no idea what you mean by "use it to sharp my kitchen knife", to be honest.
You hold the sword blade parallel to the kitchen knife, you can cut a thin layer of metal from the kitchen knife. The steel quality of the sword was just that good. In other words, the sword can cut into metal.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You hold the sword blade parallel to the kitchen knife, you can cut a thin layer of metal from the kitchen knife. The steel quality of the sword was just that good. In other words, the sword can cut into metal.
Because what you have is probably a factory made 'Gunto'. They are illegal in Japan but used in other countries for tameshigiri they cut very well.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

That would be a function of the HARDNESS of the steel, not sharpness. And frankly, if you could shave your kitchen knives, this likely just means that you had junky kitchen knives.

Latest Discussions