Real samurai swords

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A brand new sword, with basic fittings, made by a newer Smith, will run you something around $5000, give or take. An established Smith....You're looking at that $5K on up into the 6 figures.
There are thousands of old swords out there, some well made, some poorly made, quality has value. A 400 year old sword poorly made, by a nobody smith could easily be well under $1000.
It's like art, the old Masters will cost you truck loads of cash, but there are thousands of paintings from the same time periods, from the same cities, you could pick up for a few hundred dollars.
When I finally get around to ordering my sword, I will expect to pay $5-7K, and wait two years for it. I will use it for iaido once or twice a year and then put it away. Swords are meant to be used. I don't keep plastic on my furniture.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really, it was more about preserving and taking care of the blade itself… if it was left in the koshirae itself, there can be pools and build-ups of oil, there can be rust issues, and so on.

Funny really, from my uneducated viewpoint, a Samurai blade rusting does not seem to make sense. But in reality though, I can imagine the maintenance needs to keep the edge pristine.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The oil provides a coating to stop the blade rusting (by preventing water and moisture in the air from contacting the metal). It's not stainless steel, so it's susceptible to rust as other steels are. The edge is maintained by polishing (which is the process for sharpening as well).

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have any friend that trained with Bruce Lee.
Funny because in another thread you assured us that you did, here's your quote:
" I've spoken with instructors who've trained under Dan Insanto and I've spoken with people who've worked with Bruce himself so I know what Im talking about."

I suppose we could mince words, but you implied to be quite familiar with Bruce lee weather via a friend or acquaintance. Now you claim to have another friend who owned a real samurai sword? Too bad friends don't equate to personal talent, keep training!

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn't be too quick to call an issue on knowing someone with a "real samurai sword"… it's really not that rare… you'd be amazed how often it comes up with people when they find out what I do. What's not common, however, is that the "real samurai sword" taken back as a souvenir from WWII is really anything of particular value, or one that was "used back in the day". Most commonly, they are shingunto (literally: "new military/army sword"), a mass-produced item to outfit the officers and soldiers at the time.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of my guys has a genuine one. He picked it up at 'trash and treasure' a few years back for a few hundred dollars. He had a very pleasant surprise when he had it valued.

I don't have a weapons licence otherwise I would have brought a couple of old swords back from Japan. They were available at second hand markets for very little. As Ken Morgan said above, an old sword is not necessarily valuable. It depends on the sword-maker.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
in a way im not shocked, a lot of people like swords and if theres a local shop that sells weapons people will buy
usually when i hear of samurai weapons i think of something like this
8C8796227-130830-samurai-warriors-vmed-12p.jpg

i forgot to add the picture:facepalm:

Last edited:
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Funny because in another thread you assured us that you did, here's your quote:
" I've spoken with instructors who've trained under Dan Insanto and I've spoken with people who've worked with Bruce himself so I know what Im talking about."

I suppose we could mince words, but you implied to be quite familiar with Bruce lee weather via a friend or acquaintance. Now you claim to have another friend who owned a real samurai sword? Too bad friends don't equate to personal talent, keep training!

What I said is that I've spoken with people who worked with Bruce and Dan, not that Im friends with such people or that I have regular contact with them.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I said is that I've spoken with people who worked with Bruce and Dan, not that Im friends with such people or that I have regular contact with them.

Whereabouts was this? Perhaps that would add some credence to the story. On the net, anybody can be who they want in cyberspace.

D

Deleted member 32980

Not Japanese. But I own a old dress sword. Idk how old it is buts it's been around a while. I don't have a pic but I can post one tomarroww if u guys want. Maybe someone can actually identify the damn thing.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ken's post above is excellent describing cost, quality and value regarding new and old swords.

I have quality nihongi shinken, iaito, etc. and while they are not difficult to care for they do require that I spend time on their care just like I do for my firearms, etc.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not Japanese. But I own a old dress sword. Idk how old it is buts it's been around a while. I don't have a pic but I can post one tomarroww if u guys want. Maybe someone can actually identify the damn thing.
If you post pictures of it at Swordforum.com, they have quite a few people that are good at figuring out when and where swords are from.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whereabouts was this? Perhaps that would add some credence to the story. On the net, anybody can be who they want in cyberspace.

Much of what I learned about Bruce Lee I did so through books, articles, and documentaries but as to my interactions with people who have worked with Bruce Lee and some of his colleagues. I once knew the founder of a reputable martial arts school in my area. He had trained under Dan Insanto who was a close friend of Bruce's and who worked with Bruce quite a bit in developing martial arts. I also met and spoke with Bob Wall who worked with Bruce and was a good friend and is well known as playing one of the main villains in Enter The Dragon, one of Bruce's big films.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you post pictures of it at Swordforum.com, they have quite a few people that are good at figuring out when and where swords are from.
I was wondering of swordforum.com was a good source for learning about swords and good sword dealers.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much of what I learned about Bruce Lee I did so through books, articles, and documentaries but as to my interactions with people who have worked with Bruce Lee and some of his colleagues. I once knew the founder of a reputable martial arts school in my area. He had trained under Dan Insanto who was a close friend of Bruce's and who worked with Bruce quite a bit in developing martial arts. I also met and spoke with Bob Wall who worked with Bruce and was a good friend and is well known as playing one of the main villains in Enter The Dragon, one of Bruce's big films.

Did know that Bob Wall worked that closely with Mr Lee. A while back, I picked a book that had the Bruce Lee story with reproduction posters and promotional articles and what not. Of particular interest, was a photo with a young Dan Inosanto training some early JKD I think. There was not much on Bob Wall though.

D

Deleted member 32980

Alright thanks. And sorry guys I've been suck and I forgot to take a pic of it. I'll write a note

Latest Discussions