Master leung Bik

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have recently read many articles regarding Wing Chun history. I found many differences in the history of the Yipman lineage. we all know master Leung Bik, which was the son of the king of Wing Chun (Dr. Leung Jan). This master was yipman's second teacher when he moved to HK for studying.

Leung Bik history is not really confirmed by many people. But I believe he existed, because Yipman's Wing Chun really has changed from hard to soft after returning back to Fatshan, and that concludes that he learned a different concept from a different master. According to what I read about the master history, it was said that his father Leung Jan taught him the real Wing Chun alongside with his borther Leung Chun, while he taught master Chan Wah Shun some different kind of more hard style. Chan Wah Shun was more of a gifted fighter that depended more in his strength to win battle, and that was due to his big body that helped him.

In a history narrated by William Cheung was different. He said that after Leung Jan's death, Chan Wah Shun fought against Leung Jan's sons and defeated them to send them out from Fatshan so he could claim Wing Chun for himself, well that's a strange story?.

Also regarding the encounter Yipman had with Leung Bik as the challenge fight, William Cheung said that it took place in a small boat where Yipman was down several times in the water, while other Sifus stated that he fought against him in a backyard owned by Yipman's friend family in which owned a factorry where Leung Bik worked.

I wonder why the history is not that clear?, I think that we must really care about knowing such things, because without history, you cannot know the past, and if you don't know your past, you can never predict the future.

Jeansus

White Belt
Reaction score
My friend, did you ever wonder why there is not a photo of Leung Bik? Did you ever wonder why there is not his grave? Did you ever wonder who teached Yip Man after the death of Chan Wah Sun? (When Chan Wah Sun died, Yip Man was just 13 years old.. Where was Leung Bik before his coming in Hong Kong? Search the truth in Gulo village my friend.
Yip Man was just a person who never told the truth about his education.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
My friend, did you ever wonder why there is not a photo of Leung Bik? Did you ever wonder why there is not his grave? Did you ever wonder who teached Yip Man after the death of Chan Wah Sun? (When Chan Wah Sun died, Yip Man was just 13 years old.. Where was Leung Bik before his coming in Hong Kong? Search the truth in Gulo village my friend.
Yip Man was just a person who never told the truth about his education.

There has been at least one photo floated of a man purported to be Leung Bik.

People outside of Wing Chun have met him/have stories about him.

Ip Man credited him as a teacher.

If you chose not to believe the TWC story, that's fine/up to you, but the guy clearly had *something* to do with Yip Man's WC.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's much more likely that after moving to Hong Kong he did in fact change his wing chun or continue to grow after training with and sharing knowledge with other practitioners in the area like Yuen Kay San.
Legitimizing lineage stories like Leung Bik are not at all uncommon in martial arts

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Leung Bik was his nickname, Fung Wah his birth name. Chan Wah Shun & Fung Wah were training brothers, Fung was senior & him and his younger brother were "adopted" by Leung Jan. There is a thread around here from a while back discussing this.

Reactions: KPM

Jeansus

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi my friends.
Leung Jan was the most famous Wing Chun Grand Master in China. The last years of his life, he was in Gulao. None of his 3 personal students knew about his......5 sons. They knew only about his real son, who died in young age. Who wrote about Leung Bik in Baike (Chinese wikipedia); Leung Ting. Who uploaded the photo of Leung Bik in Baike? Leung Ting. (You can check everythinh I say). I listened from you that many persons met Leung Bik, but can you wonder who of them has a photo of the meeting? NONE.
I still wonder, where is e grave of Leung Bik? Why Leung Bik never went in Gulao when his......father was retired there or at his funeral?
Ip Man went at Hong Kong in 1909 and the article in Baike says that Leung Bik died in 1911. When Leung Bik teached Ip Man and for how many years?
Something important.......Why none of his.....5 sons did not Inherited his famous pharmacy? (The pharmacy of Leung Jan there is and none of his......sold it).
I want to believe that I am a serious Wushu researcher in China. I don't teach Wing Chun but I try to learn about the history of Wushu. My name is George Tsimpinoudakis and it will be a honor for me to talk with all of you. (You can find me in Facebook).

Jeansus

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi my friends.
Leung Jan was the most famous Wing Chun Grand Master in China. The last years of his life, he was in Gulao. None of his 3 personal students knew about his......5 sons. They knew only about his real son, who died in young age. Who wrote about Leung Bik in Baike (Chinese wikipedia); Leung Ting. Who uploaded the photo of Leung Bik in Baike? Leung Ting. (You can check everythinh I say). I listened from you that many persons met Leung Bik, but can you wonder who of them has a photo of the meeting? NONE.
I still wonder, where is e grave of Leung Bik? Why Leung Bik never went in Gulao when his......father was retired there or at his funeral?
Ip Man went at Hong Kong in 1909 and the article in Baike says that Leung Bik died in 1911. When Leung Bik teached Ip Man and for how many years?
Something important.......Why none of his.....5 sons did not Inherited his famous pharmacy? (The pharmacy of Leung Jan is still there......closed).
I want to believe that I am a serious Wushu researcher in China. I don't teach Wing Chun but I try to learn about the history of Wushu. My name is George Tsimpinoudakis and it will be a honor for me to talk with all of you. (You can find me in Facebook).

Jeansus

White Belt
Reaction score
My name is George Tsimpinoudakis. It will be a honor to talk with all of you about that. You can find me in Facebook.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi my friends.
Something important.......Why none of his.....5 sons did not Inherited his famous pharmacy? (The pharmacy of Leung Jan there is and none of his......sold it).

Thanks Jeansus. Interesting.
So are you saying that Yip Man learned from a different son or student of Leung Jan other than Leung Bik?

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have recently read many articles regarding Wing Chun history. I found many differences in the history of the Yipman lineage. we all know master Leung Bik, which was the son of the king of Wing Chun (Dr. Leung Jan). This master was yipman's second teacher when he moved to HK for studying.

Leung Bik history is not really confirmed by many people. But I believe he existed, because Yipman's Wing Chun really has changed from hard to soft after returning back to Fatshan, and that concludes that he learned a different concept from a different master. According to what I read about the master history, it was said that his father Leung Jan taught him the real Wing Chun alongside with his borther Leung Chun, while he taught master Chan Wah Shun some different kind of more hard style. Chan Wah Shun was more of a gifted fighter that depended more in his strength to win battle, and that was due to his big body that helped him.

In a history narrated by William Cheung was different. He said that after Leung Jan's death, Chan Wah Shun fought against Leung Jan's sons and defeated them to send them out from Fatshan so he could claim Wing Chun for himself, well that's a strange story?.

Also regarding the encounter Yipman had with Leung Bik as the challenge fight, William Cheung said that it took place in a small boat where Yipman was down several times in the water, while other Sifus stated that he fought against him in a backyard owned by Yipman's friend family in which owned a factorry where Leung Bik worked.

I wonder why the history is not that clear?, I think that we must really care about knowing such things, because without history, you cannot know the past, and if you don't know your past, you can never predict the future.
-----------------------------Cheug is no historian. What can be seen today to trained eyes is that Ip Man's concepts and wing chun is far different from Chan Wah Son. Was his last teacher Leung Bik or a Mr. X. Does not matter.His wing chun as passed to a few top
students is simply superb.

Jeansus

White Belt
Reaction score
"The worst blind is the blind who doesn't want to see". Chan Wah Shun and his old students, the brothers Ng Siu Lo & Ng Chung Sok were the teachers of Yip Man. Just 6 yeas of education. (Remember that Bruce Lee was under the direction of Yip Man only for......5 years too). The problem is that all the students of Yip Man use a different way to teach. In Gulo (and all the others lineages of Leung Jan), have only one way to teach. You know that..........
Wing Chun is ONE..........and maybe you must serach the truth.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"The problem is that all the students of Yip Man use a different way to teach. In Gulo (and all the others lineages of Leung Jan), have only one way to teach.

It's difficult to follow your writing style George, but I think you are saying that Yip Man had 3 teachers (Shun, Lo, and Sok) and that is why Yip Man's students all teach differently (?)
Whereas in Gulo, you are saying they all teach the same way?
Can you maybe provide an example?

Jeansus

White Belt
Reaction score
I am from Greece and I don't speak english very well. Yip Man was student of Chan Wah Shun and after the death of Chan Wah Sun, he was under the direction of his old students. None teached Yip Man after. That's why Yip Man changed many times his personal Wing Chun style.

Jeansus

White Belt
Reaction score
Fung Chun was the last old teacher of Leung Jan Wing Chun.

Latest Discussions