Reading too much into it?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you've hit the nail on the head. As Sukerkin said we had plenty of male teachers when teaching was seen as a good profession.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is little reason to think that male teachers are there to abuse children, a primary school is quite a tight knit, well controlled environment not conducive to abusers. Even now primary schools here are on the small side compared to the secondary schools.

:nods: I was thinking that too - the teaching 'circle' is pretty small at a primary school which makes it far harder for those with evil intent to hide-in-the-herd.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well you seem to be implying that male teachers are suspect merely for wanting to teach and that people are watching them. That's not been the experience of most I think.

Eh...I'm sorry to say that there's a lot of that over here, yeah--esp. for men teaching elementary school.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you've hit the nail on the head. As Sukerkin said we had plenty of male teachers when teaching was seen as a good profession.
Couldn't the fact that it is no longer a normal thing to do be part of the trepidation with male teachers? Anyways, I don't dislike male teachers, nor would I discourage males getting into the profession. I am just saying they face scrutiny for the choice. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how it is in the States but when Sukerkin and I went to school teachers were highly regarded professionals who went to teacher training colleges to learn their profession. Now teaching is often the choice out of work graduates make and teaching is just a job, the government messes around with the curriculum and is more worried about whether the school is on a list than the children's education.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know how it is in the States but when Sukerkin and I went to school teachers were highly regarded professionals who went to teacher training colleges to learn their profession. Now teaching is often the choice out of work graduates make and teaching is just a job, the government messes around with the curriculum and is more worried about whether the school is on a list than the children's education.
In the US the teachers make peanuts. It is the lowest paid profession requiring a college degree, and half the population believes they are payed too much. You really have to want to do it. :)

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the US the teachers make peanuts. It is the lowest paid profession requiring a college degree, and half the population believes they are payed too much. You really have to want to do it. :)

I suppose 30-60k vs what other branches make....it's a living wage though....

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the US the teachers make peanuts. It is the lowest paid profession requiring a college degree, and half the population believes they are payed too much. You really have to want to do it.

...or want the job security. Not a slam--the security and benefits are real and valid considerations. But otherwise, yes.

Latest Discussions