Rare find

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A few months ago I purchased a very rare find, a Garand chambered in 7.62x59. This is not a 30.06 with a chamber plug. This Garand was manufactured in the mid 50's from what I have been told and it is in mint condition.
Anyone else out there with a rare peice? :shooter:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A few months ago I purchased a very rare find, a Garand chambered in 7.62x59. This is not a 30.06 with a chamber plug. This Garand was manufactured in the mid 50's from what I have been told and it is in mint condition.

Nice.

My AR-15 hopefully won't become a rare find in the upcoming years! ;)

I did get an FNH .57 pistol recently. Somewhat rare, but more of a new piece rather then an old school one: http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF003&gid=FNG001

Some things I would like to pick up in the future are a Rem. 700 (one that I'll trick out with a nice Triticon accupoint, bipod, sniper stock, and so forth) M1A SOCOM (friend just picked on up and now I am jelous), and possibly a Win. model 70. Might like to also get a nice cheap surplus Mosen Nagant as well at some point.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Inherited a couple of Parker shotguns from my dad, but I'm not much of a birder....got a bunch of other antiques, but none that you'd call particularly "rare." A ouple of Winchester 97 "trench brooms," though-they're my faves.....

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do you mean 7.62x51 (.308 Winchester)? Never heard of a 7.62x59. 30-06 is 7.62x63.

Deaf

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think a 7.62x59R exists. I believe it's the same measurement as the .30-40 Krag, an old round dating back to the late 1800's; I didn't know that they made M1 Garands chambered that way until today!

OP
LawDog

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I stand corrected, I should not rush a post and then proof read it. The Russians made a 7.62 x 59 for awhile. It was used in one version of their sniper / competition rifle.
These Garands were pre of the pre M-14 era. The very first ones had a sleeve placed into the 06 chamber so that they would accept the new 7.62 x 51 round.
30-40 Craig, now that is a nice shooting peice. Some of them had the mag. on the left side of the stock.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a rare find for my family. I have my Great-grandfather's .22 rifle that my Great Great-grandfather gave to him when they came across the plains shortly after arriving in this country. It is still in mint operating condition and has slain many a squirrel and rabbit.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rare? I've got a Polish F.B. Radom VIS.35 9mm semi-automatic handgun made in Poland in 1939 under Nazi occupation.

Most everything else I have is common and modern.....though my grandfather has quite a number of rare items in his collection that is my birthright.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Sounds like you have something that is very special enjoy.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've always wished Springfield Armory would make a 'Tanker' Garand in .308 (yes 7.62x51).

An 18 inch barreled Garand! No 20 round mag stick out. A simple 8 round in block clip and receiver shortend to just .308 dimensions. Weigh around 7.5 to 8 lbs.

I know there have been some 'Tanker's made by other companies, but I bet Springfield Armory could make it right.

And that would be legal even in California!

Deaf

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nice find on the 7.62x51 Garand.

Read up on them. Very few were made, mostly for the USN.

Springfield Armory is now making them as well as the -06 version.

AzQkr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Good morning Alan,

I've seen 308/7.62x51 Garands from time to time, but not one from the 50's. Many were converted over the years, and I believe yours would be in this category as well. Unlikely to be the original caliber. What make is yours?

H+R, SA, etc?

BTW--Tell Al Jr. Brownie said hello from Az. Is he still into bow hunting?

Brownie

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very uncommon, but I did have a Glock model 31 (357 Sig caliber), that used the 2nd generation (no finger grooves, no rails) frame.

Excellent shooter, and I hate myself for having sold it!

Latest Discussions