Rare find

OP
LawDog

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey,
How ya doing. I just doubled checked my Springfield Garand. On the upper portion of the receiver just below the sight there is an old stamping of 7.62/2. On the barrel and ejector slide there is stamped 7.62/2.
Many reconditioned Garands fininsh did not match much like the infamous Korea "black bolt" Garands. On mine the entire guns finish is old and matches.
I do know that the military began trying out the new 7.62x51 very early. The test beds were the old Garands. When I went through basic training in "67" our basic training weapon was the M-14 along with a few 308 Garands. Wheather there were re-barreled by the Military I am not sure of but I did see them.
Al Jr. is still bow hunting. He is still one of the upper end boys. He holds many records in game taken including being in the top 10 in Bear in Canada. He is an LEO in Middleborough now, 3 years I believe.
How about yourself.?

OP
LawDog

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
AzQkr,
I took the numbers off of this Garands receiver and ran it to obtain a firearm history. It was produced 1954 - 56. The cal. listed was 7.62 and nothing else.
Thats all that I could find.
Take care.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats a new one on me.

Really unusual combination, indeed! He's taking a pistol whose original design is for a cartridge that has a SAAMI max of 35,000 psi, and chambers it for a cartridge of 40,000 psi SAAMI max pressure.

I'm wondering how a Luger would hold up to long-term use with such a cartridge? Given the battering that some of the earlier357 Sig pistols took, I'm rather curious.

It's probably a moot issue anyways, since I doubt anyone would want to shoot one of Martz's wonderful creations to death...

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Really unusual combination, indeed! He's taking a pistol whose original design is for a cartridge that has a SAAMI max of 35,000 psi, and chambers it for a cartridge of 40,000 psi SAAMI max pressure.

I'm wondering how a Luger would hold up to long-term use with such a cartridge? .

I don't.

*Mimes mushroom cloud*

Latest Discussions