quite possibly the worst idea ever

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are plenty of clubs teaching kids how to use a bow or a 22 cal. gun (at least at the age of 11+). As long as this is done professionally, is knife throwing really so much worse?

Btw a thrown rock kan be almost as deadly as a knife. Ask any soldier who has been involved in crowd control on the Balkans.

And don`t get me wrong. I favor banning knives in the streets.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure many clubs teach weapons of all descriptions but I think the difference here is that it is not part of a general curriculum and seems to exude a sort of "Tumble Tots" type of enthuisasm for chucking knives around. If it were English it would be "I say kiddies, lets all throw knives at people, it's jolly good fun" (Celts would chuck the knives at the English) It's surreal and as I said not a good thing! All those badges for marksmanship...what do you have to hit to get them? The neighbours cat? I like the Terry Pratchett quote, as with most of his writing - very apt!

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
(That being said, yes I can throw---so it ALWAYS lands point first no less).

Always? That's tough to swallow.

I also have difficulty with your words "at ALL, period." Especially since you go right ahead and offer two ideas why it might have benefit. However I agree with you about the typical combat utility of throwing a knife.

But, to reach your proported level of skill you must have made many, many thousands of throws. Can you really say that you received no enjoyment or other benefit from the practice? It didn't improve your understanding of the physical mechanics or give you any understanding of how you might throw a coffee mug or other improvised weapon in cases of extreme need?

To get back to the specific topic of discussion, I haven't met the people involved and have no idea if they are offering safe instruction. I, personally, enjoy and see a benefit in throwing weapons. I also was about six the first time I took a bunch of my mom's kitchen knives and started throwing them at a tree in my yard, so I can see the value of offering safe instruction.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rutherford, I bet your mother was pleased with you lol!

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
....hey, that's GREAT!!!

I'm currently starting up a program at several day cares around town!!
I've already got 17 Pre-Kindergarden children on contracts.

It's a system that centers on hatchet throwing, chokes and eye gouging!!!

Soon we'll host a tournament!:duel:

You're all invited.

It's a "Bring your own tourniquet" event......:bomb::wuguns:

Your Brother
John

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, A little off tarket here? BUT if you watch cartoons with your kids and see all the violence that goes on....what do you think the kids are learning.....hitting,shooting,destroying,fighting....cartoons are role models for the kids!

Yes! I do not agree with teaching knife thowing classes to kids. In martial arts it is OK to teach eye gouging,chokes,sweeps,kicks to the groin(other areas),punches,locks,breaks,biting,ripng,throat attacks...(depends on the age of the kids,and young teens here for us.)

most of these are less dangerous than throwing a knife at a tarket?

I see most of your points here.......WE are humble and we are teaching our KIDS to be nice to others.

We live in a violent world....look the news or read the newspaper..the whole world teaches our kids how to behave, Our leaders make great role models...that way the violence will never end!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Violence is the way forward as a friend of mine Leigh Remedious says.(He fought Genki Sudo in UFC38)

There's two points here I think 1. is this just a McDojo who have cottoned on to an idea to make money? 2. What is the thinking behind teaching children to throw knives? for their safety, SD or to learn all the things we expect to be taught at a reputable MA school? or does it come back to 1 again..money?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
....hey, that's GREAT!!!

I'm currently starting up a program at several day cares around town!!
I've already got 17 Pre-Kindergarden children on contracts.

It's a system that centers on hatchet throwing, chokes and eye gouging!!!

Soon we'll host a tournament!:duel:

You're all invited.

It's a "Bring your own tourniquet" event......:bomb::wuguns:

Your Brother
John

From one Kansas guy to another. You're killing me.:rofl:

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of clubs teaching kids how to use a bow or a 22 cal. gun (at least at the age of 11+). As long as this is done professionally, is knife throwing really so much worse?

Btw a thrown rock kan be almost as deadly as a knife. Ask any soldier who has been involved in crowd control on the Balkans.

And don`t get me wrong. I favor banning knives in the streets.

A knife can be thrown quickly @ fairly close range with serious injury or mortal consequences. It is also considered a concealed weapon in most states. How one can legally allow this to be taught to children is beyond me.

I wonder how good the insurance is at that place and what the coverage must cost???

Do you think a young child has the capacitity and the responsiblitity to be able to distinguish what is self defense with a deadly weapon or just getting mad and using one. I certainly wouldn't play those odds with my kids.:confused:

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know if this is "THE" worst idea ever, but it sure is in the top 10. Teaching kids how to use throwing knives, what are they thinking? Training kids to use knives is one thing I agree with, but training them to throw them is another.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Knife throwing for children..... Isn't that cute...

BUT IT’S WRONG!!! :soapbox:

That is JUST SOOOOO wrong It definitely in the running for one of the worst ideas ever

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you think a young child has the capacitity and the responsiblitity to be able to distinguish what is self defense with a deadly weapon or just getting mad and using one. I certainly wouldn't play those odds with my kids.:confused:

Probably not. Absolutely no potential weapons in your house then?

How do you feel about kids learning to shoot a bow or fire a gun? Or learning how to use traditional weapons like nunchakus?

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Always? That's tough to swallow.

I also have difficulty with your words "at ALL, period." Especially since you go right ahead and offer two ideas why it might have benefit. However I agree with you about the typical combat utility of throwing a knife.

But, to reach your proported level of skill you must have made many, many thousands of throws.

Not so much that I made thousands of throws as I changed the way I throw them. I got the technique from a 50's USMC hand to hand manual titled "Cold Steel" by one John Styers( Much recommended for far more than just the knife parts BTW) , who in turn got it from a technique he attributes as being used by the Gold Rush miners of the mid 19th century.

If you can walk, and bend your elbow , you can do this.

If you can stay within 12-15 feet of the target you can become a grand master.( go ahead and start your own style, everyone else does).

if you need to throw further out than that your chances decrease no matter what knife you have but they decrease less with this method, because you do not need to know the number of "turns" the knife makes before it hits, because the knife does not turn as it leaves the hand.

Here.

Try it out:

*Start by standing normally.

*you take your knife and rest it in your palm, handle locked in place by the thumb, blade/handle in line with the forearm and protruding past the fingertips.

* face target.

*decide where on the target you want to aim.

Keeping blade, fingers, wrist and forearm perfectly straight, bend elbow and draw arm back, palm supinated, as if preparing to bowl a strike.

* take as many steps as you want/need to build momentum.

*twisting your waist and following through, "aim" your fingers, where you want the knife to go,and, palm up, "shovel" the knife at the target , releasing the thumb at the desired aim point , allow arm to follow through.

Let me know hhow you do with it, I expect it's easier to get consistent results with that than the end-over-end method. :)

(Still wouldn't use it if I had a better means available *shrug*)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Probably not. Absolutely no potential weapons in your house then?

How do you feel about kids learning to shoot a bow or fire a gun? Or learning how to use traditional weapons like nunchakus?

I think it's a lot harder to hide a bow, gun, or nunchakus than a knife; knives are (at least potentially) smaller, deadlier (the winner in a knife fight can still very easily die from wounds inflicted in the fight), easier to hide and explain away, and much more readily available. Sure, you don't teach a class like that with kitchen knives... but how hard would it be to transfer over, even if the kitchen knife is badly balanced?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So this really isn't just some kind of sick joke?

I think it is great to teach weapons safety to children, but giving them the ability to turn a common houshold item into a very deadly and accurate weapon is not a good idea. Most children don't have the responsibility to know when to use this - plus, when they "practice" and show their friends....bad things will happen. The worst part is just how accessible knives are to kids....

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So this really isn't just some kind of sick joke?

I think it is great to teach weapons safety to children, but giving them the ability to turn a common houshold item into a very deadly and accurate weapon is not a good idea. Most children don't have the responsibility to know when to use this - plus, when they "practice" and show their friends....bad things will happen. The worst part is just how accessible knives are to kids....

I also think it's great to teach weapons safety to children. Weapons safety is NOT being taught. Look at the last kid on "throwing tikes" in the yellow belt. The instructor is counting up the number of sticks.

Watch what the child is doing. He has his hands, and his fingers, all over the training blade.

If that were live steel....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need a new computer! Mine won't show videos, it just freezes maybe just as well as the descriptions of the children with knives sound blood curdling! Like everyone else I agree with weapon safety being taught, I love knives myself but this just seems to be some sort of gimmicky idea to promote the instructors bank accounts.

Latest Discussions