quite possibly the worst idea ever

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's someones idea of a good moneymaker! I was taught to throw knives by Royal Marine Commandos and I'm pretty good but I don't see that it warrants whole 'martial art' system. Our club numbers have dropped due to most of our students being sent to Iraq so we could do with the money that special lessons, gradings,different uniforms and selling knife kits etc could bring in lol! I'm not sure of the exchange rate at the moment but the kits seem very expensive?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You should watch the "Throwing Tykes" video offered on the site... (dunno how to link it)... watch the instructor... he's not even paying attention to the "tyke" as they're preparing to throw... seems to me a very poor practice to ensure proper form and techniques. He's just gleefully handing the kids their knives and watching the target.

Worse idea ever? Yeah, I'd have to agree with that.

IMO kids should not be learning these types of MA techniques (throwing knives) until they are MUCH older... say about 17 or so. It's poor judgement and practice on the instructors and parents to allow this type of training for the very young.

Knife throwing is a serious, dangerous skill and a responsible one at that. If it's the instructor's intent to teach that sort of responsiblity at a young/early age then they probably need to re-think it over. Maybe they know HOW to teach it... but in my opinion they don't know WHEN it's the proper time for a child to learn it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd agree with it if we could use the children as targets LOL! Nah, had two very hectic children's lessons tonight! The idea of giving children live blades is madness. It's like a mad Monty Python sketch, doesn't bear thinking about.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I cannot imagine giving a live blade to a child... that's just wrong. Teaching a child to throw a live blade is just stupid - or insane.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You should watch the "Throwing Tykes" video offered on the site... (dunno how to link it)... watch the instructor... he's not even paying attention to the "tyke" as they're preparing to throw... seems to me a very poor practice to ensure proper form and techniques. He's just gleefully handing the kids their knives and watching the target.

And, the target is never shown.

Throwing Tykes

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not only is the target never shown, but from the time between the throw and the sound, it couldn't have been more than 10 feet away... and I'm not really sure about that "windup" on the throw, either; the motion, yes - but not the pumping back and forth prior.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
I cannot imagine giving a live blade to a child... that's just wrong. Teaching a child to throw a live blade is just stupid - or insane.

Yes.

But it's also my considered opinion that, child OR adult, "knife throwing" at ALL is stupid, period.

I've always believed that you throw your knife under only two conditions and ONLY TWO:

1) you have another weapon

2) you must reach this person *right now* and your other weapon cannot do it *right now* or is also a knife

Not the least of reasons for this is the fact that if you throw your knife ABSENT at least one of these conditions and you miss, you've disarmed yourself, armed him, and pissed him off all in one smooth motion. All in all not the action hero move you're after.

(That being said, yes I can throw---so it ALWAYS lands point first no less).

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes.

But it's also my considered opinion that, child OR adult, "knife throwing" at ALL is stupid, period.

I've always believed that you throw your knife under only two conditioons and ONLY TWO:

1) you have another weapon

2) you must reach this person *right now* and your other weapon cannot do it *right now* or is also a knife

Not the least of reasons for this is the fact that if you throw your knife ABSENT these conditions and you miss, you've disarmed yourself, armed him, and pissed him off all in one smooth motion. All in all not the action hero move you're after.

(That being said, yes I can throw---so it ALWAYS lands point first no less).

The only other reason that I would have is for the sheer art of it.

To me knife throwing is a very elegant and very adult art. I wouldn't want a child playing with it any more than I would a child playing around with wine making or the finer points of Baccarat.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[B said:
Andy Moynihan[/B]] But it's also my considered opinion that, child OR adult, "knife throwing" at ALL is stupid, period.
Hmm ... I dunno about that. I don't see it as all that more dangerous than BB guns, pellet guns, slingshots and air rifles. As a sport, I'm okay with it at a certain age, though I will acknowledge that the children depicted in the pix on the site appear too young for my preference.

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hmm...in some ways, I dont see how its much different from teaching a child any martial art, or weapon. A kid is much more likely to hit another kid with his/her fist or kick them than to be throwing live blades at them. However with kids bringing guns to school nowadays I could see that really going bad.
And those kids were wayy too young to be handling and throwing knives. I sure hope they have some major supervision.

so yeah, overall I think its bad judgement if not out right stupid.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The other side of the blade is this: When you teach kids how to use a gun...they become safer at handling them.

Teaching kids how to throw weapons is also teaching them the safety side of handling those weapons. How to pass the knives, how to handle them safely.

Knives are available in most homes (kitchen) and pocket knives. Teaching kids proper handling is a great idea.

Where you ever taught how to handle knife ,how about your children do they know how to pass a knife to someone. Do you know how to sharpen knives? Most people think they know how? But many do cut themselves often!

We DO NOT teach throwing knives (we have some)...but we do teach our kids in the Martial classes how to handle a knife and how to pass a knife to someone!

Most kids (especially boys) like to throw knives (and everthing else)with or without supervision!

Having a School for children to learn knife throwing? UM...I woulfd not send my kids there......Doesn't sound like a good thing to do! ...just my feelings on this.......Aloha

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got mixed feelings about this.. back when I was a kid it was common for country boys like me to learn the use of a knife at young age. At eight I knew well how to sharpen a blade, pass it, carve wood, prepare fish for the fry pan etc. And not just a small pocket knife, also larger ones like the sami knife and a manchete like tool called "snedel" used for clearing forest paths and cutting branches.

However a room full of todays kids handling throwing knives makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. One on one instruction should be required! Not to mention some heavy focus on how to respect the blade.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Reminds me of a passage from a Discworld novel:

Mother: "You can't give my little girl a sword!"
Death: "WHY NOT? IT'S EDUCATIONAL."
Mother: "But she might cut herself!"
Death: "THAT WOULD BE AN IMPORTANT LESSON."

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Reminds me of a passage from a Discworld novel:

Mother: "You can't give my little girl a sword!"
Death: "WHY NOT? IT'S EDUCATIONAL."
Mother: "But she might cut herself!"
Death: "THAT WOULD BE AN IMPORTANT LESSON."

I remember having to explain all my scars to my girlfriend.. :rolleyes:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I said I think it's a money making scheme, they can sell it as teaching your children knife safety. Surely parents would teach that at home? The responsible parents would along with not sticking your fingers in electric sockets. I was certainly taught how to handle and pass the knives we used at home properly ( I mean domestic knives,cutlery, vegetable knives etc) when I was a small child. I learned to do useful things safely with knives while I was a Girl Guide ( after the age of 12). Teaching uses of knives in the great outdoors is one thing teaching kids to chuck at people seems irresponsible and just plain wrong.